"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Hearing that some Arsenal players are unhappy, if true they are employee's on great money and they need to get some back bone and self respect.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Hearing that some Arsenal players are unhappy, if true they are employee's on great money and they need to get some back bone and self respect.

Could be just paper talk ?
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 7,500
    I would be very sceptical of anything that comes out of The Mirror...
    jobo wrote: »
    I would be very sceptical of anything that comes out of The Mirror...

What about Football.London ? Worth reading or the same rubbish ?

Two weeks ago, Pepe headbutted Leeds defender Ezgjan Alioski in an off-the-ball incident and was given a straight red card after referee Anthony Taylor viewed the altercation on a pitchside monitor.

After the incident, Arteta criticised Pepe over his “unnacceptable” behaviour and said that the Ivorian had “let the team down”.

And Football.London claims that ‘some of the first-team squad were unhappy about the way he called him out on TV’.

The report adds that some players have ‘mentally clocked out’ and that ‘the omission of Mesut Ozil and Sokratis’ is also causing dressing room unrest.
    Arsenal vs Man City Carabao Cup quarter-final will be a interesting game today.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Hmmmmmmm 8->
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Hmmmmmmm 8->

Arsenal do well in the cups and if Arteta gets his tactics right they can win even though auba is injured.

Hmmmmmmm 8->

Arsenal do well in the cups and if Arteta gets his tactics right they can win even though auba is injured.

Yeah, that's the thing. Auba is out. And I don't know if Arsenal can defend for 90mins, coz that's definitely going to be the plan Arteta's looking at.
    Wish I hadn't remembered the Carabao Cup game was today. 0-1 down already…
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,247

Let's just hope it stays that way. I knew they'll win. But let it not turn into an embarrassing match.

Let's just hope it stays that way. I knew they'll win. But let it not turn into an embarrassing match.

About that…

About that…

About that…

Yeah. Sadly, it turned out that way. The thing is, it's Man City and they're that good. If Arsenal had been winning, this would have been overlooked because it's Man City....but now, any defeat is a defeat for Arsenal.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,294

About that…

About that…

Yeah. Sadly, it turned out that way. The thing is, it's Man City and they're that good. If Arsenal had been winning, this would have been overlooked because it's Man City....but now, any defeat is a defeat for Arsenal.

True, but it's also a City that's not in their best form. Arsenal could and should have got away from this game without conceding four goals. The team selection puzzles me. If there was a game to give more youngsters a go, it would have been this game. Arteta played some of them, but I don't think the result would have been any worse playing more youngsters given how the senior players played (Lacazette aside 'cause of his 1-1 goal of course.)

It's also strange to see youngsters more or less carrying this team right now; Martinelli in this game (before getting injured again), and Saka in recent PL games. Time for the highly paid senior players to play their part in changing things.

About that…

About that…

True, but it's also a City that's not in their best form. Arsenal could and should have got away from this game without conceding four goals. The team selection puzzles me. If there was a game to give more youngsters a go, it would have been this game. Arteta played some of them, but I don't think the result would have been any worse playing more youngsters given how the senior players played (Lacazette aside 'cause of his 1-1 goal of course.)

It's also strange to see youngsters more or less carrying this team right now; Martinelli in this game (before getting injured again), and Saka in recent PL games. Time for the highly paid senior players to play their part in changing things.

Yeah. The situation right now at Arsenal is truly dire.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,354
    It's Carabao cup time again :)]
    giphy.gif
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Kieran Trippier suspended for 10 weeks over breaches of betting rules
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55423789
    He has been linked with United recently as someone to give AWB competition, that's unlikely to happen now.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,388
    Strong line up for United one thing is for certain United have the squad depth they have been lacking in recent seasons.

Henderson, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Maguire, Telles, Matic, Pogba, Van de Beek, Fernandes, Greenwood, Cavani

Good first 10 minutes by United laying siege to Everton's goal, good to see United going for it from the off as too often this season been slow starters.
    55 mins still 0 - 0 Richarlison off with what appears to be a rib injury, looks a bit shaken.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I think United are slowly getting consistent. And teams have not yet noticed it.
    I think United are slowly getting consistent. And teams have not yet noticed it.

They are starting to look strong, certainly got good options now. Ole is setting them up to attack rather than safety first which is encouraging.

They are starting to look strong, certainly got good options now. Ole is setting them up to attack rather than safety first which is encouraging.

Yeah. Not bad at all.
    With his 65th-minute strike against Real Valladolid on Dec. 22, Messi scored his 644th goal for Barca, breaking a long-standing record set by none other than the great Pele almost half a century ago.
    Astonishingly, Messi has scored more goals for one single club than any other player in the history of soccer.

Messi's record will never be beaten, maybe ?
    Would have been interesting to see what he could do with Arsenal, but no top manager would want that job anyway.

Wow! @Torgeirtrap Very good manager, Poch is. But I don't think he ever liked Arsenal though.
    With his 65th-minute strike against Real Valladolid on Dec. 22, Messi scored his 644th goal for Barca, breaking a long-standing record set by none other than the great Pele almost half a century ago.
    Astonishingly, Messi has scored more goals for one single club than any other player in the history of soccer.

Seems unlikely. They said the same thing about Pelé's record however...

The only record of Messis I am absolutely sure will never be beaten, is his record of 50 goals (!!) in one La Liga season. That is just absurd! 8-}
    Would have been interesting to see what he could do with Arsenal, but no top manager would want that job anyway.

Poch is likely to win his first trophy as a manager if he takes the job, though good luck with the ego's. I never knew prior to today that Poch played for PSG.
    Wow! @Torgeirtrap Very good manager, Poch is. But I don't think he ever liked Arsenal though.

With him being a former Sp*rs manager, that would probably have been unlikely, yes. You never know in football though.

Poch is likely to win his first trophy as a manager if he takes the job, though good luck with the ego's. I never knew prior to today that Poch played for PSG.

And the club ownership! Trophies aside, it seems like a difficult job to take on.
    Merry Christmas Football Fans...
    Merry Christmas Football Fans...

:)) :))
    jobo wrote: »

Seems unlikely. They said the same thing about Pelé's record however...

The only record of Messis I am absolutely sure will never be beaten, is his record of 50 goals (!!) in one La Liga season. That is just absurd! 8-}

Pele had it easier than Messi because the brazilian league seemed much more inferior than playing in La Liga.