"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tottenham Hotspur have sacked Mauricio Pochettino.

Wow, incoming welcome to Old Trafford Poch

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Good luck with that one ha ha, could you imagine the Spurs reaction
    Wow?!!!!! :-O I am genuinely shocked that spurs have sacked Poch?!!! Although no doubt it would not have helped when he said if they had won the Champions League? He would have walked away from the club.

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Wouldn't be the first one from Sp*rs to switch sides!

gun__1255701253_campbell_train.jpg?itok=K_CC3zDP
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Sol worked out better than the reversal with George

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Sol worked out better than the reversal with George

Very true. Still, both very much remains an important part of Arsenal's history.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jose Mourinho being linked to Spurs job. =))
    Is there any managers job he isn’t linked too?
    Good luck to Spurs if they pick ‘the egotistical one’
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Good luck Spurs :))
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 4,025
    That was quick.

I think he will be a really good fit for Spuds with their fast paced attacking football.
    Congrats to Giggsy for getting Wales into the Euros

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Camp Nou ;)

vzok wrote: »
    That was quick.

I think he will be a really good fit for Spuds with their fast paced attacking football.

Huh? Was that an attempt at irony?
    jobo wrote: »

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Camp Nou ;)

Wouldn't surprise me, but I have a hunch he'll end up in Bayern.

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Camp Nou ;)

In all seriousness it would be a surprise actually. He has played for and coached Espanyol in the past. Not to mention that this current board of idiots are both completely unwilling to give anyone who hasn´t played for Barca a chance and seem somehow convinced that Valverde is doing an excellent job, apparently ignoring all the bad performances and the fact that the club is playing increasingly worse with every season with him in charge... Abidal said in an interview recently that whether Valverde stays for another season or not would be up to him. An absolutely absurd statement!

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Camp Nou ;)

In all seriousness it would be a surprise actually. He has played for and coached Espanyol in the past. Not to mention that this current board of idiots are both completely unwilling to give anyone who hasn´t played for Barca a chance and seem somehow convinced that Valverde is doing an excellent job, apparently ignoring all the bad performances and the fact that the club is playing increasingly worse with every season with him in charge... Abidal said in an interview recently that whether Valverde stays for another season or not would be up to him. An absolutely absurd statement!

It's a bit surprising to see how even the La Liga is after 13 games. Although Barca leads the table and have a goal difference of 18, how bad are they performing?

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Camp Nou ;)

It's a bit surprising to see how even the La Liga is after 13 games. Although Barca leads the table and have a goal difference of 18, how bad are they performing?

Not nearly as good as they should considering the level of talent in the team, that´s for sure. The most frustrating thing is that there seems to be a total lack of a clear plan or identity. To define Barca´s playing style these days is difficult. I am really not sure if we are a team that likes to press high or low, play posession football or play for counter attacks. It all seems very random. And there seems to be no improvement with each year. On the contrary our play seems more confused the longer Valverde has been in charge, and our defence is defintely only getting worse, much because the pressing game without the ball is so sloppy. Very talented players seem to constantly underperform and there is a sense that the players are not a hundred percent motivated in general. In short you get the sense that an extremely talented squad on paper is being more or less wasted. We might be able to somehow scrape to a Liga title as we have Messi... but he cant win the Champions League alone. And with this squad, that´s where our true ambition should be.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,293

Emirates Stadium ;-)

Camp Nou ;)

Not nearly as good as they should considering the level of talent in the team, that´s for sure. The most frustrating thing is that there seems to be a total lack of a clear plan or identity. To define Barca´s playing style these days is difficult. I am really not sure if we are a team that likes to press high or low, play posession football or play for counter attacks. It all seems very random. And there seems to be no improvement with each year. On the contrary our play seems more confused the longer Valverde has been in charge, and our defence is defintely only getting worse, much because the pressing game without the ball is so sloppy. Very talented players seem to constantly underperform and there is a sense that the players are not a hundred percent motivated in general. In short you get the sense that an extremely talented squad on paper is being more or less wasted. We might be able to somehow scrape to a Liga title as we have Messi... but he cant win the Champions League alone. And with this squad, that´s where our true ambition should be.

This sounds like things you could describe Arsenal by, with the exception of scraping a title.

I've always seen Barca as a well gelled team; when did that change?
    ____

Arsenal are now a mid-table team waiting to happen. This season is already ruined, and it's getting worse.
  • BondHQBondHQ Heysham, Lancashire
    Liverpool bc supporter here. Great win at Palace today. Tough going but got the three points.
    BondHQ wrote: »
    Liverpool bc supporter here. Great win at Palace today. Tough going but got the three points.

Liverpool are on a great run and your next five fixtures are great, only injurys will likely stop you winning the title which is painful to say
    So chuffed that my beloved Norwich boys got such a valuable away win at Everton yesterday. Puts us back in touching distance again of 17th place.

Will be keeping a close eye on the Villa game tomorrow night, and it is also such a welcome relief that we have fit again central defenders back into the team, hence the clean sheet yesterday. OTBC!!! :-bd
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Very dramatic end of the Galatasaray vs Club Brugge game: Brugge equalized at the 92nd minute, only to have 2 of their players red carded at the 93rd minute!
    Very dramatic end of the Galatasaray vs Club Brugge game: Brugge equalized at the 92nd minute, only to have 2 of their players red carded at the 93rd minute!

How did they manage that?
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690

Player who scored took his shirt off (already had a yellow before), while another player received a red for celebrating too much by destroying a corner flag.

Player who scored took his shirt off (already had a yellow before), while another player received a red for celebrating too much by destroying a corner flag.

Wow! You don't see scenes like that every match, that's for sure!
    Rosenborg loses at home. Arsenal loses at home.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Surely Emery support from the board will be waning, has he completely lost the players?

giphy.gif

Surely Emery support from the board will be waning, has he completely lost the players?

He's lost the players, that's for sure. But the board seems determined to wait and see if he can turn things around - at least that's what's been reported.

giphy.gif

He's lost the players, that's for sure. But the board seems determined to wait and see if he can turn things around - at least that's what's been reported.

The only way things surely can improve if there is a squad overhaul which is unlikely with Arsenals spending.
    Ozil gone in January?

giphy.gif

The only way things surely can improve if there is a squad overhaul which is unlikely with Arsenals spending.
    Ozil gone in January?

It depends. If Emery stays, Özil will likely go. If it's the other way around, Özil might stay – that's my gut feeling at least. He's been quoted saying that he wants to stay in London (although that was some time ago).

As for the squad, it's certainly lacking in midfield and defence. But we're not seeing the squad's full potential now either. I don't think there will be an overhaul. It looks like a club that's comfortable being mid-table quality, and that's where things are heading.

giphy.gif

Ozil gone in January?

It depends. If Emery stays, Özil will likely go. If it's the other way around, Özil might stay – that's my gut feeling at least. He's been quoted saying that he wants to stay in London (although that was some time ago).

As for the squad, it's certainly lacking in midfield and defence. But we're not seeing the squad's full potential now either…

Is Ozil really as lazy as people say, United are desperate for a number 10, he could come on a pay as you play deal lol

giphy.gif

Ozil gone in January?

As for the squad, it's certainly lacking in midfield and defence. But we're not seeing the squad's full potential now either…

Is Ozil really as lazy as people say, United are desperate for a number 10, he could come on a pay as you play deal lol

If you ask me – far from it. But you know what you will get with Özil, and that's creativity going forward. He doesn't do defensive work. The issue is that the squad isn't built and used in a way that allows him to be at his best (if you ask me).