"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2019 Posts: 23,377
    Rosenborg loses at home. Arsenal loses at home.

giphy.gif

Surely Emery support from the board will be waning, has he completely lost the players?

He's lost the players, that's for sure. But the board seems determined to wait and see if he can turn things around - at least that's what's been reported.

The only way things surely can improve if there is a squad overhaul which is unlikely with Arsenals spending.
    Ozil gone in January?

It depends. If Emery stays, Özil will likely go. If it's the other way around, Özil might stay – that's my gut feeling at least. He's been quoted saying that he wants to stay in London (although that was some time ago).

As for the squad, it's certainly lacking in midfield and defence. But we're not seeing the squad's full potential now either…

Is Ozil really as lazy as people say, United are desperate for a number 10, he could come on a pay as you play deal lol

If you ask me – far from it. But you know what you will get with Özil, and that's creativity going forward. He doesn't do defensive work. The issue is that the squad isn't built and used in a way that allows him to be at his best (if you ask me).

Interesting so you need runners and work horses around him, United kind of have that though Ole would want him to press. Though hopefully Ole won't be there too long.

Rosenborg loses at home. Arsenal loses at home.

giphy.gif

Surely Emery support from the board will be waning, has he completely lost the players?

He's lost the players, that's for sure. But the board seems determined to wait and see if he can turn things around - at least that's what's been reported.

The only way things surely can improve if there is a squad overhaul which is unlikely with Arsenals spending.
    Ozil gone in January?

It depends. If Emery stays, Özil will likely go. If it's the other way around, Özil might stay – that's my gut feeling at least. He's been quoted saying that he wants to stay in London (although that was some time ago).

As for the squad, it's certainly lacking in midfield and defence. But we're not seeing the squad's full potential now either…

Is Ozil really as lazy as people say, United are desperate for a number 10, he could come on a pay as you play deal lol

If you ask me – far from it. But you know what you will get with Özil, and that's creativity going forward. He doesn't do defensive work. The issue is that the squad isn't built and used in a way that allows him to be at his best (if you ask me).

Interesting so you need runners and work horses around him, United kind of have that though Ole would want him to press. Though hopefully Ole won't be there too long.

I think if the team is structured in a way where Özil have creative freedom and is only required to play to his strengths, he'll fit in nicely. However, he's on huge wages at Arsenal, so you need a club that's willing to spend that money. United might be able to, but will they? I don't know.

Spot on post-match commentary here from Keown and Hartson. It's shambles right now, and quite frankly, just sad. I know many expect the board to act given recent performances, but I'll be surprised if anything happens. The Kroenke's don't care about the current state of affairs.
  • BondHQBondHQ Heysham, Lancashire
    Unai Emery sacked by Arsenal
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Unai Emery has been sacked by Arsenal.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/unai-emery-leaves-club
    Who have they got lined up?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,293
    Didn't see that happening. It's the Kroenke's after all.

Ljungberg interim head coach. That will be interesting.
    vzok wrote: »
    Who have they got lined up?

I think the question is, who would want to manage Arsenal?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Ollie is next!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I will be fuming if Poch went to Arsenal though I suspect Poch won't go there he appears very loyal to previous clubs.
    I will be fuming if Poch went to Arsenal though I suspect Poch won't go there he appears very loyal to previous clubs.
    Maybe he won’t feel that they were loyal to him.

I think there's no chance Poch will go to Arsenal. He will surely want to go to a club that's able to compete for trophies. He won't be able to do so at Arsenal.

I think there's no chance Poch will go to Arsenal. He will surely want to go to a club that's able to compete for trophies. He won't be able to do so at Arsenal.

Spurs fans at work said to me if Poch takes a new job within a certain amount of time? He will miss out on £12 million in contracted wages?!!!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Spurs fans at work said to me if Poch takes a new job within a certain amount of time? He will miss out on £12 million in contracted wages?!!!!!

Wouldn't surprise me! I think he'll wait until the summer before taking up a new manager position. He'll have plenty of offers.

Wouldn't surprise me! I think he'll wait until the summer before taking up a new manager position. He'll have plenty of offers.

I think he will end up in Spain to be honest?

I think he will end up in Spain to be honest?

I have a feeling Bayern might be an option, but who knows? He might end up in Manchester instead.

Hopefully at Man United

Hopefully at Man United

He could very well end up there, given the finances and the opportunity to build a team. Same at Bayern.

Quite a list I would be surprised if Rodgers took it as his current side has better players and money if needed

It would make sense to get Viera in working with Edu and Ljungburg?

Quite a list I would be surprised if Rodgers took it as his current side has better players and money if needed

Rogers won't be able to get. He already manages a better team. Same with Ancelotti (and one could argue, Nuno). Vieira isn't doing great in France right now, so getting him would be risky.

Rogers won't be able to get. He already manages a better team. Same with Ancelotti (and one could argue, Nuno). Vieira isn't doing great in France right now, so getting him would be risky.

Not to sound too negative though Allegri may not see it as a big enough team to manage right now after Juve and both sides current standing and resources.

Nuno will unlikely get Wolves into the top four and plays good attacking football, he may be front runner if Viera's connection to the club is not deemed enough

Not to sound too negative though Allegri may not see it as a big enough team to manage right now after Juve and both sides current standing and resources.

Nuno will unlikely get Wolves into the top four and plays good attacking football, he may be front runner if Viera's connection to the club is not deemed enough

Allegri is out of reach for sure. He wouldn't want to manage a team that can't compete for titles.

Nuno might be a likely candidate on paper, buy buying him out of his contract at Wolves won't be cheap. Right now I think Arteta is the most likely candidate.

This won't go down well with the AFTV crowd! :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Magpies draw with City. :-O
    Title race goes back Liverpool's way. Still a long way too go, but surely theirs to lose at this stage.
    Benny wrote: »
    Magpies draw with City. :-O
    Title race goes back Liverpool's way. Still a long way too go, but surely theirs to lose at this stage.

Definitely. I'd be very surprised if Liverpool don't win the PL.

I am not sure what the full context of the discussion was though I have thought before that some fan channels up the drama for higher viewers count

I am not sure what the full context of the discussion was though I have thought before that some fan channels up the drama for higher viewers count

AFTV is no doubt getting the most views whenever there's something to be vocal about and criticising. And for Arsenal fans, that's a lot to be vocal about!

Don't care for AFTV personally.

AFTV is no doubt getting the most views whenever there's something to be vocal about and criticising. And for Arsenal fans, that's a lot to be vocal about!

I watch AFTV occasionally for a few laughs, though I do the same for United Fan channels, some of the things you hear are ludicrous

I watch AFTV occasionally for a few laughs, though I do the same for United Fan channels, some of the things you hear are ludicrous

A lot of it is ridiculous, that's for sure. Sometimes there are some good points mentioned, but certainly not every time!