"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    John Arne Riise on Goals on Sunday at the moment ,chatting about yesterdays matches and his career ....class player with one hell of a left foot !!

He doesnt even look any older than when he played,looks like he could play now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    John Arne Riise on Goals on Sunday at the moment ,chatting about yesterdays matches and his career ....class player with one hell of a left foot !!

Slept in and missed Sunday Supplement gr, will put Sky on the catch rest of Goals on Sunday

No doubt about his left foot. The opinion of him is possibly a little divided here in Norway, based on some situations from his playing career. There was the bust-up with John Carew back in the early 00's, while representing the national side, etc.

No doubt about his left foot. The opinion of him is possibly a little divided here in Norway, based on some situations from his playing career. There was the bust-up with John Carew back in the early 00's, while representing the national side, etc.

Carew was a good player as well,but i would take Arne Riise over him any day..one of the best left backs ive ever seen,and i used to play left back in my younger days !
    Big changes in the Arsenal team today,some of the kids are playing,including Reiss Nelson.

Carew was a good player as well,but i would take Arne Riise over him any day..one of the best left backs ive ever seen,and i used to play left back in my younger days !

I think it's the personality of Riise that some find difficult. A bit "un-Norwegian" in the way he speaks of himself. Difficult to explain. @jobo will understand what I'm thinking of. Both Riise and Carew were criticized by Ståle Solbakken and Ole Gunnar Solskjær in a book last year, and Riise in particular. Solbakken said this:

«He (Carew) has occasionally carried the national side on his shoulders when at his best. John Arne never did. It's unpleasant to say it, when he's got over a hundred national caps, but there's many others that have put their mark on the national side more than him.»

That's how I remember the two of them when playing for Norway, as well. Some will probably disagree, though. Carew is enjoying his time with acting these days, actually. He's one of the cast members in a drama series about a female top division football manager. Haven't seen it yet.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,378
    Big changes in the Arsenal team today,some of the kids are playing,including Reece Nelson.

Nelson was due a start. He's been quite good in the games I've seen him in.
    Bloody hell the Emirates is seriously empty,atmosphere is dead :(

You can hear a pin drop!

You can hear a pin drop!

I know....i dont know how this game is going to go,but im not putting my usual £1-4 bet on this one,i will save that for the Chelsea match later.

When Wenger goes,hopefully at the end of this season,i hope he takes the shit Iwobi with him.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,378
    Good choice. Much better bet on Chelsea vs West Ham. Kroenke & Co doesn't understand how much this club needs new blood. Can see the empty seats thing continuing for a long time.
    Oh, for f**ks sake!
    Good choice. Much better bet on Chelsea vs West Ham. Kroenke & Co doesn't understand how much this club needs new blood. Can see the empty seats thing continuing for a long time.

Even more so now Saints have scored...and Shane Long ffs ?
    So Embarrasing ..sometimes i hate my club.

The boos are already starting,with every backpass...my fiance just walked past and said 'is that a training match ?' !!!!!
    I can understand her thinking that! Long's 2nd goal in 48…
    I can understand her thinking that! Long's 2nd goal in 48…

Mustafi really is crap...he didnt get a shout from Cech so it was his job to deal with it...
    Thank God for Aubameyang!!!!

Indeed...a shining light in one hell of a dark tunnel.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Nice touch by Welbeck
    Indeed! Riise's left foot was great, but personality wise he has always been quite unpleasant. It is not so much the issue with being 'non Norwegian', as that of being a spoiled, arrogant whiny brat! (An unintelligent one at that, I might add if I want to be mean...)

Indeed...a shining light in one hell of a dark tunnel.

That's one way to describe it, haha!
    Nice touch by Welbeck

Hopefully he will be on the plane to Russia .
    He always plays extra well for England and can play in about 4 positions,so he is versatile.

Nice touch by Welbeck

He always plays extra well for England and can play in about 4 positions,so he is versatile.

Danny is a decent player when fit and in form definitely a threat, a good option off the bench for England.
    Nice touch by Welbeck

Danny is a decent player when fit and in form definitely a threat, a good option off the bench for England.

No matter what you might think of him, Welbeck does get his share of criticism. Too much, if you ask me.
    Nice touch by Welbeck

hahaha perfect timing Fire,he just proved you right by scoring ..!!
    Welbz score!!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Thank Christ for that. Have had an absolute shocker so desperately need a hattrick from my captain Aubameyang to keep my head above water.

Come on chaps Southampton are utter shite so surely you can batter them second half?
    Thank Christ for that. Have had an absolute shocker so desperately need a hattrick from my captain Aubameyang to keep my head above water.

Come on chaps Southampton are utter shite so surely you can batter them second half?

You and me both!
    Thats the plan Wiz !

Elneney has played well,mopping up and moving forward well,im glad he has just signed a new contract.
    @barryt007 and @Torgeirtrap Southampton were never going to beat you at home, they really are on a poor run, good goal by Danny
    @barryt007 and @Torgeirtrap Southampton were never going to beat you at home, they really are on a poor run, good goal by Danny

I think Southampton,Stoke and WBA are heading down.

Shame re Saints as they really established themselves originally and used to be a pleasure to watch.
    But if you sell sell sell then eventually you are going to be bitten on the arse.