"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Those £20 are within reach, @TheWizardOfIce. Just need a couple of Newcastle, Bournemouth, Watford or Brighton to keep it up. Newcastle look much better with Kenedy playing, Bournemouth will score goals, as will Watford and Brighton.
    YES! Rosenborg just finished their best game this season, destroying rivals Molde at home in a 4-0 victory. Konradsen and Søderlund (who started in an unusual formation with Bendtner) scored one each, while Lord himself put two in the net!

Molde a bit controversial club these days, as one of their players is indicted for…
    rape.
    (hope I'm not breaking any rules or something in writing this, as the news itself (and not the identity of the player) have already been covered in the media.)
    Surprisingly he is not suspended by the club, and is still playing.
    YES! Rosenborg just finished their best game this season, destroying rivals Molde at home in a 4-0 victory. Konradsen and Søderlund (who started in an unusual formation with Bendtner) scored one each, while Lord himself put two in the net!

Molde a bit controversial club these days, as one of their players is indicted for…
    rape.
    (hope I'm not breaking any rules or something in writing this, as the news itself (and not the identity of the player) have already been covered in the media.)

That was a great performance! Molde are not a horrible, utterly helpless team... but that is what they looked like yesterday! The physical level in the squad is very impressive this year. I'm already dreaming of the Champions League. It is almost impossible these days with the level of resources at the top teams. But with a lucky draw, anything is possible!

I so want to see Messi at Lerkendal one day! :D
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jobo wrote: »

rape.

That was a great performance! Molde are not a horrible, utterly helpless team... but that is what they looked like yesterday! The physical level in the squad is very impressive this year. I'm already dreaming of the Champions League. It is almost impossible these days with the level of resources at the top teams. But with a lucky draw, anything is possible!

I sincerely hope so too. Always liked RBK. Together with Sparta Prague they were the only teams from a small league that performed well in the CL when I was a kid. Still hope both of them to do good for nostalgic purposes.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

rape.

I sincerely hope so too. Always liked RBK. Together with Sparta Prague they were the only teams from a small league that performed well in the CL when I was a kid. Still hope both of them to do good for nostalgic purposes.

Throw Anderlecht in there as well! ;)
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,379

rape.

Still early days, but this was a very long step in the right direction. Agree on the physical level. The outfought Molde in every department - which is all you want to see against that team.

I only now noticed that the 4-0 goal (Lord) was a cheeky nutmeg on Forren! Doesn't get better than that!

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Excellent idea @jobo ;)

Interesting. Tuchel has a bad reputation for man management, and now he has to tackle Neymar? Good luck! ;))

Interesting. Tuchel has a bad reputation for man management, and now he has to tackle Neymar? Good luck! ;))

Neymar seems like such a diva. Will be the most difficult part of the job, possibly!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 7,506

Neymar seems like such a diva. Will be the most difficult part of the job, possibly!

The fact is that Neymar will have more power than him. Signing him is PSG's proudest achievement so far, incredibly. They have not been able to assert any claim of being considered a world beater on the field, so signing a superstar from one of the superpowers of European Football, is their strongest claim to greatness. (Which is why the idea that a move to Real Madrid is around the corner, doesn't make sense at all. PSG will never let him go!) If there is a fallout between Tuchel and Neymar, Tuchel will be thrown under the bus. It us actually a quite realistic scenario.

The fact is that Neymar will have more power than him. Signing him is PSG's proudest achievement so far, incredibly. They have not been able to assert any claim of being considered a world beater on the field, so signing a superstar from one of the superpowers of European Football, is their strongest claim to greatness. (Which is why the idea that a move to Real Madrid is around the corner, doesn't make sense at all. PSG will never let him go!) If there is a fallout between Tuchel and Neymar, Tuchel will be thrown under the bus. It us actually a quite realistic scenario.

Wouldn't surprise me. Nothing really surprises with PSG, which makes the appointment of Tuchel (if true, that is) strange, no? Heard in a podcast that he speaks French fluently. That will at least make interacting with some of the players and staff easier.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    You'd like to think Neymar is feeling a right mug for agreeing to go there now. Being the best player in the world is about what you do on the pitch son not what your bank balance says and the bare facts are that at the business end of the season Ragnar Klavan has more chance of picking up a CL winners medal than you do.
    Liverpool will find out just hours before kick-off whether Mohamed Salah will be fit or not to face Man City in their Champions League quarter-final second leg.

Tottenham have lodged an appeal to the Premier League in a bid to ensure Harry Kane is credited for their second goal against Stoke, according to Sky sources.

The England striker was adamant he should have been awarded the winning goal in the 2-1 victory on Saturday after claiming Christian Eriksen's free-kick glanced his shoulder on its way into the net.

After the game, Kane told Sky Sports: "It's my goal for sure. It flicked off my shoulder and went in. I swear that's mine. It was just off my shoulder. I don't care, it's my goal."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/11324499/tottenham-appeal-to-premier-league-over-harry-kane-goal-at-stoke

Such a d*ckhead. If I were Eriksen, I'd tell him to piss off.

Such a d*ckhead. If I were Eriksen, I'd tell him to piss off.

"It's my goal for sure. It flicked off my shoulder and went in. I swear that's mine. It was just off my shoulder. I don't care, it's my goal."

Sounds like a d*ckhead alright.
    Great team player is Harold.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    vzok wrote: »
    He certainly is. Getting paid less than Jordan Henderson and he's still there.

Spurs would do well to bow down to his every whim because as top scorer in the league there would be at queue of clubs willing to pay the going rate for such a player and not the peanuts Levy calls wages.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2018 Posts: 10,512
    vzok wrote: »
    He certainly is. Getting paid less than Jordan Henderson and he's still there.

Spurs would do well to bow down to his every whim because as top scorer in the league there would be at queue of clubs willing to pay the going rate for such a player and not the peanuts Levy calls wages.

Precisely. I’d break the bank for him. This isn’t even a blot on his record when you look at players like the aforementioned Neymar. Keeps his head down, does a job and is understandably keen to haul in Salah for his third Golden Boot.

If he were hanging out with Lewis Hamilton dressed like The Weeknd and Liberace’s lovechild, spitting his dummy out at every opportunity, perhaps. But he actually seems like a decent bloke (if a little slow) whose earned the right to be selfish every once in a while.
    I think he is selfish all the while, which is good for a striker.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    It's a tad weird swearing on your daughters life that it's your goal though when the footage pretty much shows that it never touched you.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 7,506
    The behavior is strange indeed! Football is a team sport! Why bother? I expected better from Kane...
    The behavior is strange indeed! Football is a team sport! Why bother? I expected better from Kane...

Eriksen should claim the goal for himself. He had a good game in general, too. Kane - not so much.

«Mohamed Elneny will be available for Arsenal’s next three games after an Independent Regulatory Commission accepted that he was wrongly dismissed for violent conduct against Southampton on Sunday, April 8, 2018.»

HAH! Take that, Andre Marriner!
    Only took two minutes for Liverpool to get in trouble…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Game on, always felt Liverpool need to score, one goal will dent City confidence
    Have lost count of the yellows already!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Milner possible handball looked suspect
    Milner possible handball looked suspect

Didn't catch a replay of that. What happened?
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,379
    Ooh! Close for Bernardo Silva!

Sané denied! What a drama this is!
    Hit his arms though they were close to his body, Liverpool will do well to be only 1 - 0 at the break