"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

It should be a good game,as was the Man City v Liverpool match earlier,until the ref wanted his 15mins of fame and screwed everything up.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Wish I could share your enthusiasm that it will be a good game.

Personally if Jose decides to have a go instead of parking the bus I can't see beyond a comfortable Utd win/absolute raping. Our clown defence notwithstanding the loss of Mane could be fairly fatal.

Lukaku v Klavan? That will be messier than a Barrymore pool party.

Personally if Jose decides to have a go instead of parking the bus I can't see beyond a comfortable Utd win/absolute raping. Our clown defence notwithstanding the loss of Mane could be fairly fatal.

Losing Mane is a tragic event for sure.
    I'm sure he wasn't this injury prone for Southampton,but I would need to double check.

barryt007 wrote: »

Losing Mane is a tragic event for sure.
    I'm sure he wasn't this injury prone for Southampton,but I would need to double check.

There's a fitness coach from Holland (well respected although his name eludes me) who said that Jurgen's philosophy of high intensity and the way he flogs the team in training is unsustainable as the human body just cannot cope with it day in day out. He reckoned that it looks good for a while but then after about 2-3 years the players start to break down.

I don't know if there are any Dortmund fans out there who can corroborate this?
    This is the first decent test United gets this season, defensively at least. We will know better how good their defence really is after this. My prediction is that is not as good as some claim it to be...

That being said it is hard to not score against this Liverpool side... We can probably expect some goals, and I think Liverpool might surprise us
    jobo wrote: »
    This is the first decent test United gets this season, defensively at least. We will know better how good their defence really is after this. My prediction is that is not as good as some claim it to be...

That being said it is hard to not score against this Liverpool side... We can probably expect some goals, and I think Liverpool might surprise us

There will be goals that is certain. Liverpool's defence will concede at least 3 as usual so it just comes down to the tried and trusted tactic of seeing how many Couthino can hit from 30 yards.
    Match of the gameweek for sure. For us people playing Fantasy, with both United and Liverpool-players in the team, this will be an interesting fixture. Can't see anything other than a match with many goals, or very few goals.
    The match of the week is definitely Atlético Madrid vs Barcelona. Two of the best teams in Europe the last five years.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,394
    Anfield feels like a very big pitch right now, amazing save by De Gea... Come on United!!!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not often I want Liverpool to win.
    I've got £1 on Coutinho to score the first goal and he keeps getting close !!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Thank God that's over United were poor, point gained onto the next game...
    Liverpool made United look distinctly average... as I expected. I did not expect zero goals though.

Having a good goal keeper is fine, but it won't save you against teams with moderately decent efficiency...
    Haven't seen the post match but no doubt Jurgen bemoaning the fact they parked the bus.

It's up to you to work out a strategy to counter it pal. The fact we had 70% possession and were the only side trying win it irrelevant. We still only managed to fashion one chance worthy of the name. You know exactly what Jose's going to do so why act surprised when he does it?

Jose can get results like that in his sleep.

Yes we were the better team but we are most weeks; just a shame this is football where it's results that count rather than ice skating where you can get by if you impress the judges.
    Haven't seen the post match but no doubt Jurgen bemoaning the fact they parked the bus.

It's up to you to work out a strategy to counter it pal. The fact we had 70% possession and were the only side trying win it irrelevant. We still only managed to fashion one chance worthy of the name. You know exactly what Jose's going to do so why act surprised when he does it?

Jose can get results like that in his sleep.

Yes we were the better team but we are most weeks; just a shame this is football where it's results that count rather than ice skating where you can get by if you impress the judges.

You have to choose one or the other, Wiz. You have been slamming Liverpool for being useless in an almost sadomachosistic manner. At the same time you have hailed United an Mou to be a perfect example for everyone to follow. Yesterday you assured us United would score at least three. Yet it is now somehow a great and necesarry tactical achievement to narrowly escape with a point against Liverpool? If Mou is such a genius and Liverpool so useless, why did he have to play for a draw? And why do they need a miracle save and a fair bit of luck to "win" a point if the defensive mastermind is so great? Is it all part of a new master plan where one point is suddenly more worth than three? Or were they just lazy? Why would United value a win against Liverpool after all?
    Love Arsenal, but at the same time it's hard to support this team. Get a result, for f**** sake! That first Watford goal was probably an unfair penalty, but still!

Luckily, Rosenborg secured a 0-3 victory away against Tromsø. Bendtner got another goal, and Rosenborg is now close to getting another title.
    Gunners capitulating late on not good, though glad they have not made ground on United.

Though hate to say it Man City look like they are going to destroy any team in there path
    Gunners capitulating late on not good, though glad they have not made ground on United.

Though hate to say it Man City look like they are going to destroy any team in there path

Right now, it's hard looking past the Manchester teams winning the title. Chelsea and Arsenal have lost a few matches, Liverpool (as well as Arsenal) can't defend, and Sp*rs have Wembley to struggle with.

Right now, it's hard looking past the Manchester teams winning the title. Chelsea and Arsenal have lost a few matches, Liverpool (as well as Arsenal) can't defend, and Sp*rs have Wembley to struggle with.

United need to hang in there whilst we get players back from injury, United looked tired today, we play Benfica midweek away will be tough I am realistic.

Agree on the top two though I think City are favourites think there squad is better than Uniteds, though early days
    That City squad is very impressive. Pep can rotate about as much as he like – at least with midfielders and in attack, and they still look just as strong. However, also they need to keep players fit. Think they got lucky with that Agüero injury. In defence Kompany is still injured, and Mendy is out for a long time. Will need to be careful with yellow and red cards as well.
    Congratulations with a very impressive win today, @GoldenGun! Although I have a feeling La Vecchia Signora are not quite as strong as last year, beating them is always a great achievement. Looks like we can see some much needed competition for the Scudetto this year. Or what is your assessment?
    Certainly was some interesting results over the weekend. Pleased we bagged a very late draw against Hull on Saturday. Talk about dominating a game. Thought here we go when they went 1 up and down to 10 men. Then BOOM! Olivera with a 96th minute equaliser!! The sofa nearly went through the wall into my neighbours house! Lol! Next up? The grudge match, part 1! Ipswich Town in the old farm derby!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jobo wrote: »
    Congratulations with a very impressive win today, @GoldenGun! Although I have a feeling La Vecchia Signora are not quite as strong as last year, beating them is always a great achievement. Looks like we can see some much needed competition for the Scudetto this year. Or what is your assessment?

Thanks @jobo! I suspect Juve will be a strong contender nevertheless but I'd say Napoli are the side to beat this year. Inter also not doing badly either. The Scudetto will be contested y these three sides I think.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Certainly was some interesting results over the weekend. Pleased we bagged a very late draw against Hull on Saturday. Talk about dominating a game. Thought here we go when they went 1 up and down to 10 men. Then BOOM! Olivera with a 96th minute equaliser!! The sofa nearly went through the wall into my neighbours house! Lol! Next up? The grudge match, part 1! Ipswich Town in the old farm derby!

Congrats! Close between the top ten, so this can become a good season for Norwich!
    Leicester will need to pick up points tonight at home to WBA,they are in the relegation zone atm.

I will be watching this match with interest.
    Leicester will need to pick up points tonight at home to WBA,they are in the relegation zone atm.

Remember what happened to Ranieri, the players will oust Shakespeare if things don't improve

Remember what happened to Ranieri, the players will oust Shakespeare if things don't improve

That wouldn't surprise me with those back-stabbing buggers.

That wouldn't surprise me with those back-stabbing buggers.

Nor would it me think I'll watch the game tonight myself
    Will be a very interesting match to watch.
    This is a good match..WBA have come to win,no sitting back from them today.