"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    barryt007 wrote: »
    My England team if I had to pick it today and everyone was fit:

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-d975b1aaa26a9527d83773d0c41c670f.html

england-xi-3bb5a27cb354c3b4c7ef6bc3acf1929f.jpg

That's my selection no bias from me :))

Why not Carrick and Young while you're at it?

Terrible but the truth is apart from probably Cahill for Jones, Wilshere for Henderson and Lingard for Lallana it can't really be improved much at all.

Who'd have thought you'd ever look back fondly on the Graham Taylor era when we could go toe to toe with a Holland team of the De Boers, Koeman, Rijkaard, Overmars and Bergkamp and it took the ref cheating us for them to get past us?
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,357
    What a team Holland had back then. Anytime I see Bergkamp mentioned, this one comes to mind:

WmVLe73.gif

Not to forget this one, as well:

anigif_enhanced-7009-1400775112-12.gif
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My England team if I had to pick it today and everyone was fit:

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-d975b1aaa26a9527d83773d0c41c670f.html

england-xi-3bb5a27cb354c3b4c7ef6bc3acf1929f.jpg

That's my selection no bias from me :))

Why not Carrick and Young while you're at it?

Terrible but the truth is apart from probably Cahill for Jones, Wilshere for Henderson and Lingard for Lallana it can't really be improved much at all.

Who'd have thought you'd ever look back fondly on the Graham Taylor era when we could go toe to toe with a Holland team of the De Boers, Koeman, Rijkaard, Overmars and Bergkamp and it took the ref cheating us for them to get past us?

The current squad is average at best I only rate Alli, Kane and Rashford also Vardy as a impact player.
    Sweden having a great game against Luxembourg, with eight goals scored so far. Still time to go!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Lithuania v England can't wait!
    Watching both Lithuania-England and Denmark-Romania. Denmark much more entertaining than England at the moment.
    Watching both Lithuania-England and Denmark-Romania. Denmark much more entertaining than England at the moment.

I can believe it this game for England is of no consequence, though it's pretty dreadful
    Scotland just scored
    Denmark ahead by one goal after penalty.

Edit: 1-1. Romania down to ten men for a while now.
    1-1 in Copenhagen. On to Norway-Northern Ireland, and Germany-Azerbaijan. Can Norway get a win tonight?

And they did, winning 1-0. Few chances created in this match, but a victory is very welcome.
    Looks like a few home nations have still got a chance in the play offs, looking through the groups England got a ridiculously easy group compared with others
    Scotland have blown it as usual.
    Scotland have blown it as usual.

They were pretty poor Scotland watched parts of the game, they did not deserve to get into the play offs
    Looks like a few home nations have still got a chance in the play offs, looking through the groups England got a ridiculously easy group compared with others

They nearly always do get an easy group, and it doesn't help them. They sleepwalk into the finals and then get found out.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    vzok wrote: »

They nearly always do get an easy group, and it doesn't help them. They sleepwalk into the finals and then get found out.

Yep,this is the standard format for the tournaments...the draw in December should be interesting.

As will be Wales vs Rep Ireland tonight,winner takes all...and Holland tomorrow,needing to put 7 goals past Sweden !!

Alright. Couldn't choose, so I'm going to watch Iceland-Kosovo, Albania-Italy AND Wales-Ireland. Will probably go for two after half-time.

Edit: My internet connection chose for me. Wales-Ireland and Iceland-Kosovo it is. Iceland currently controlling their match, with 1-0 at half-time.
    Ireland scores! This is going to be a thriller!
    Come on Wales!!

Couldn't really give a toss but my loathing of James McClean means I'm embracing my inner sheep shagger for the next 30 mins.
    Come on Wales!!

Couldn't really give a toss but my loathing of James McClean means I'm embracing my inner sheep shagger for the next 30 mins.

My sincerest condolences
    Well they're a very limited side. Can't see them getting through the playoffs.

Well played Ireland,a Martin O'Neill tactical masterclass.
    Defensively brilliant and scored at the perfect time to put Wales on the floor..shame both couldn't go through because of Serbia,but a cracking match,thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now,tomorrow night ,Holland have to put 7 past Sweden...good luck with that !!
    Ireland it is, then.
    Iceland made the most out of the qualifiers, winning their group.
    Come on Wales!!

You guys really don't like the Welsh over in Britain, do you? :-p

I never write them off..on their day they can seriously shock,as today proved.

True but over 2 legs against someone semi decent they ought to get found out. Really is the luck of the draw as you could wind up with Italy or Portugal or Greece or Slovakia.

I still cannot understand how Italy got stitched up with Spain while we got a piss easy group.

True but over 2 legs against someone semi decent they ought to get found out. Really is the luck of the draw as you could wind up with Italy or Portugal or Greece or Slovakia.

I still cannot understand how Italy got stitched up with Spain while we got a piss easy group.

Its going to be an interesting play-offs,with some seriously big footballing countries in there,as you say Wiz.

The draw is next Tuesday.

Got to watch Hollands record attempt tomorrow though,hard to believe they wont be qualifying for yet another tournament,they wont put 7 past Sweden.
    Looking at the Dutch squad it is not so surprising. This generation is severely short of talent. The fact that Robben (still at this age) Ryan Babel are supposed to lead the attack, says it all...
    Unlucky Wales, good luck to Ireland in the play offs who ever you may face?
    Anyone on here think Holland will put 7 goals past Sweden tonight ?!?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Anyone on here think Holland will put 7 goals past Sweden tonight ?!?

Not in the slightest.

If it gets to 5-0 with 10 mins to go I might start watching.

Holland got less chance of winning the World Cup than England which is going some.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2017 Posts: 6,808
    I even expect the Dutch to lose the game against Sweden.

If I were you, I'd give Portugal-Switzerland a watch instead.