"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Tough match away to Middlesbrough tomorrow night! Fingers crossed my team can pull a result out tomorrow night?!!
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 17,390
    Just finished watching Rosenborg-Vardar and BATE Borisov-Arsenal. Good game by Arsenal (only saw parts of the game), and a impressive game by Rosenborg, winning 3-1 at home. That goal for Vardar could have been avoided, other than that, it was a good effort, with Bendtner scoring again on a penalty, as well as a really nice heel kick-assist on the third goal. The second goal – by Konradsen, was even better.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Tough match away to Middlesbrough tomorrow night! Fingers crossed my team can pull a result out tomorrow night?!!
    Good game by Norwich on Tuesday night?
    Just finished watching Rosenborg-Vardar and BATE Borisov-Arsenal. Good game by Arsenal (only saw parts of the game), and a impressive game by Rosenborg, winning 3-1 at home. That goal for Vardar could have been avoided, other than that, it was a good effort, with Bendtner scoring again on a penalty, as well as a really nice heel kick-assist on the third goal. The second goal – by Konradsen, was even better.

Another great away performance for sure. Another tricky away match tomorrow at Reading which believe is a 5.30pm on Sky. Have a number of injury doubts for the match, so I would happily settle for a point. However they have had a pretty poor start to the season so you never know?

Another great away performance for sure. Another tricky away match tomorrow at Reading which believe is a 5.30pm on Sky. Have a number of injury doubts for the match, so I would happily settle for a point. However they have had a pretty poor start to the season so you never know?

Reading are doing well?

Reading are doing well?

Hoping for another win?! So far so good as we are currently 2-1 ahead.
    GET IN!!!! Another brilliant away win at Reading for my Norwich boys!!!!! Gave me a scare though when we went down to 10 men late on! Unbeaten in 7 games now. So proud of the lads, sods law we now have another international break.
    GET IN!!!! Another brilliant away win at Reading for my Norwich boys!!!!! Gave me a scare though when we went down to 10 men late on! Unbeaten in 7 games now. So proud of the lads, sods law we now have another international break.

Congrats! Interesting fixtures in October I see: Hull, Ipswich, Arsenal (!), Derby County AND Wolverhampton!

Congrats! Interesting fixtures in October I see: Hull, Ipswich, Arsenal (!), Derby County AND Wolverhampton!

Yeah another challenging month for the boys. September was mad enough but when you take 14 points from a possible 18 and a cup win? You have to be very happy with that. However? That's 5 games in 2 weeks again from October 14th? Crazy.

Yeah another challenging month for the boys. September was mad enough but when you take 14 points from a possible 18 and a cup win? You have to be very happy with that. However? That's 5 games in 2 weeks again from October 14th? Crazy.

Indeed. Five games in just a couple of weeks can be brutal for any team.

The Championship is very unforgiving at times!

It really is! Every fixture is a tough one, it seems. Anything can happen!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    comics-WUMO-job-interview-688243.jpeg

It really is! Every fixture is a tough one, it seems. Anything can happen!

And it really does very often.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,820
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4597111/barcelona-president-josep-maria-bartomeu-confirms-club-considering-leaving-la-liga/

Personally if Barca want to come to English leagues they should start in the Championship or lower
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4597111/barcelona-president-josep-maria-bartomeu-confirms-club-considering-leaving-la-liga/

Personally if Barca want to come to English leagues they should start in the Championship or lower

Big no no for me this, like it is with the whole Rangers/Celtic being apart of the Premier League. Club sides should stick to their respective countries and that's it. If a club or clubs are too dominant consistently in a particular country? I believe a salary cap should be introduced to force the wealth to be spread around the top division.

Another option which would have to be adapted heavily is how the draught system works in the NFL in America. Obviously it would be tricky and no doubt take time but why not? From my point of view as a supporter of a Championship side in Norwich City, I would be furious if the big clubs in England were no longer in the Premier League because they were then in a Super League elsewhere?

It would be without doubt a kick in the teeth for lower league clubs to attract players, investment and funds. Their would also then be the cost to the average supporter too. So with that said, Barcelona, Celtic and Rangers? Stay where you are!
    I cant see it ever happening,especially as Scotland keeps having these independent referendums.

How are smaller clubs supposed to afford to fly to Barcelona at least twice a season,maybe more ?

No,it will be business as usual,just teams from England and Wales.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I cant see it ever happening,especially as Scotland keeps having these independent referendums.

How are smaller clubs supposed to afford to fly to Barcelona at least twice a season,maybe more ?

Exactly Barry! Wonder how Brexit will affect our teams when it comes to club football in the Europa League and Champions League? Maybe England can enter the African cup on Nations or Copa America instead? Lol!

Exactly Barry! Wonder how Brexit will affect our teams when it comes to club football in the Europa League and Champions League? Maybe England can enter the African cup on Nations or Copa America instead? Lol!

We wouldn't win those tournements either ;)

We wouldn't win those tournements either ;)

Lol! Your probably right!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117

Big no no for me this, like it is with the whole Rangers/Celtic being apart of the Premier League. Club sides should stick to their respective countries and that's it. If a club or clubs are too dominant consistently in a particular country? I believe a salary cap should be introduced to force the wealth to be spread around the top division.

Another option which would have to be adapted heavily is how the draught system works in the NFL in America. Obviously it would be tricky and no doubt take time but why not? From my point of view as a supporter of a Championship side in Norwich City, I would be furious if the big clubs in England were no longer in the Premier League because they were then in a Super League elsewhere?

It would be without doubt a kick in the teeth for lower league clubs to attract players, investment and funds. Their would also then be the cost to the average supporter too. So with that said, Barcelona, Celtic and Rangers? Stay where you are!

Yep. Probably should've thought all this independence stuff out in a bit more detail as I don't think people are going to be desperate to watch Barca win the Catalonian league by 50 points every season. Will make the Scottish league look as competitive as the Championship. Who is going to front up a massive wad of TV money to watch that?

And how many players will want to come to them just to play CL fixtures?

And all that's assuming they get recognised by FIFA and UEFA as an independent nation first and even then they have to go through all the qualifying rounds from scratch as they are starting from a coefficient of zero.

Mind you it's just as bad for La Liga as take Barca out of that league and how much real interest is there?

You have to be joking. That's the stupidest thing i've heard about football since the fifa scandals.
    The whole thing is farcical!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think it won't happen though it's a bit presumptuous from the Barca president to think they could just Swan into another big league
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,390
    Is this Barcelona changing league really a thing? Thought it was just journalistic clickbait...?
    Is this Barcelona changing league really a thing? Thought it was just journalistic clickbait...?

As long as they keep it to Spain i dont really care...it's worrying that the King of Spain has waded in and criticised them as well .

As long as they keep it to Spain i dont really care...it's worrying that the King of Spain has waded in and criticised them as well .

Watching all the news reports from Spain have been really strange. Surely there could have been possible to handle the situation better? From the little I've read tonight, that speech from the King of Spain didn't help.

Regarding Barcelona, there must be a better solution than seeking out to other leagues. Monaco play in Ligue 1 after all, and Swansea in PL.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 7,506
    Spaniards and Catalans like to be a bit dramatic. This statement about joining the PL should not be taken to literally. It is more a way of voicing a protest against the Spanish Football Federation. Barcelona wanted to postpone the game against Las Palmas because of the riots in the city, but were forced to play the game anyway. It has caused a lot of controversy.

From a sporting point of view it is obviously in the interest of everyone, both the Spanish League and Barcelona that things continue as normally even if Catalonia gains independence. Although they do not always like each other, FC Barcelona needs the LFP and LFP sure needs FC Barcelona.
    So the big 6 of the Premier want more TV money at the expense of the rest of the League? What a disgusting surprise! NOT!
    Is Raheem Sterling Slovenian by any chance,because he is playing like a complete dickhead.
    Norway with 3 goals in 17 minutes against San Marino. This team just need some positive results now, and this is just the opportunity.