"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Norway with 3 goals in 17 minutes against San Marino. This team just need some positive results now, and this is just the opportunity.

can they still qualify ? @Torgeirtrap
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,357
    @barryt007 No, they can't. Think the 2-0 game away against Northern Ireland in March was the last chance to qualify. The focus for Lagerbäck now, will be for Norway to reach Euro 2020.

Fun fact: Gianni Infantino is at the stadium watching the game right now. Don't know why.

@barryt007 No, they can't. Think the 2-0 game away against Northern Ireland in March was the last chance to qualify. The focus for Lagerbäck now, will be for Norway to reach Euro 2020.

Fun fact: Gianni Infantino is at the stadium watching the game right now. Don't know why.

New manager ?
    barryt007 wrote: »

New manager ?

Has Lagerback been totally accepted by the Norway fans,as he managed Sweden ?

New manager ?

Has Lagerback been totally accepted by the Norway fans,as he managed Sweden ?
    Haha! That would make some headlines for sure! :D

In general, I think Lagerbäck has been positively accepted as manager for the national team. If anything, him managing Sweden and Iceland could only count as a positive, I think – as they knew what kind of managing style they'd get. Fellow countryman and former Sweden/Rosenborg manager Erik Hamrén was also a name mentioned before Lagerbäck got the position.

Interestingly, Denmark's national team is currently managed by former Norway/Rosenborg manager Åge Hareide.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Christ this is beyond moribund. We literally have nothing.

Worse than that Wiz,its bloody embarrassing...even the fans have given up...why do we put ourselves through this time after time,year after year...?!
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,357

Worse than that Wiz,its bloody embarrassing...even the fans have given up...why do we put ourselves through this time after time,year after year...?!

Are you guys talking about Norway? This literally sound like a conversation I had with some friends last year.

Oh, it's 0-7 between San Marino-Norway now.

Are you guys talking about Norway? This literally sound like a conversation I had with some friends last year.

No ,England...believe me if you see a chance to watch it later................dont..unless you cant sleep,you will be asleep in about 30mins...boring beyond belief.

No ,England...believe me if you see a chance to watch it later................dont..unless you cant sleep,you will be asleep in about 30mins...boring beyond belief.

Noted! But shouldn't there be a few goals in the England match – at least on paper?

Norway up to 8 goals now.

Never in doubt son!

I fancy this could finally be the year....

Never in doubt son!

Absolutely......we just toyed with them.......always in the bag.

Never in doubt son!

Absolutely......we just toyed with them.......always in the bag.

Keeping our powder dry. The Krauts won't know what's hit them when we unleash the full attacking power of Sterling, the Ox and Henderson.
  • GBFGBF
    Congratulations to England and Germany. Welcome to Russia 2018.
    I am dreading England in Russia
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    vzok wrote: »

It's predictable what will happen

Especially if Iceland qualify.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    My England team if I had to pick it today and everyone was fit:

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-d975b1aaa26a9527d83773d0c41c670f.html
    Indeed. Even getting out of the group a big ask for a team this bereft of talent. You really have to feel for Harry Kane the only player we've got who might be coveted in the slightest by the serious nations.

It's going to be grim viewing and frankly we are at a lower ebb now than 1993 after Taylor. Yes we are going to the World Cup but with a desperately poor squad and a clueless manager. We bounced back in style in 96 after the disappointment of 94 but the 96 team had Gazza, Shearer, Teddy, Seaman, Adams, Gary Nev, Ince, Pearce, Macca, Platty.

Christ Fowler, Sol and Les were only good enough for the bench! Any of those players would walk into the current team.

Even the 'turnips' team that infamously lost in Norway in 93 was made up of: Woods, Dixon, Pallister, Adams, Walker, Palmer, Sharpe, Platt, Gascoigne, Ferdinand, Sheringham.

Of those only Palmer stands out as not strolling into the current squad. I'd say the only real changes I'd make to the starting 11 are Henderson for Palmer and Kane for Les. At a pinch Rashford for Sharpe I suppose.

Dark days and no real sign of anything changing anytime soon.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Yep...that's why I didn't even cheer last night when we scored .
    I'm feeling very subdued and have a feeling of foreboding about the whole thing.
    Hopefully as time goes on I will feel better about it,and who knows ,2 or 3 world class players might pop out of nowhere between now and June,but I wouldn't go banco on it.

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-d975b1aaa26a9527d83773d0c41c670f.html

I'd choose Dier plus 10x Dire
    Glad I never bothered watching the drivel that is England. 94th minute to beat Slovenia?!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Glad I never bothered watching the drivel that is England. 94th minute to beat Slovenia?!!!

It was one of the most boring matches I have EVER seen,no lie.

For some reason I am not surprised. On a separate note, I certainly would not want to be a travelling fan to Russia. I can see the troubles now. Sadly!

For some reason I am not surprised. On a separate note, I certainly would not want to be a travelling fan to Russia. I can see the troubles now. Sadly!

Indeed,and it will mainly be the Russian fans,nasty buggers.

Indeed,and it will mainly be the Russian fans,nasty buggers.

Afraid so, we saw evidence of it at the Euro's.
    I guess you can take solace in the fact you now realize where you're at. Not as in the all days when you were "the best in the world" and were supposed to win every competition... It feels better to lose when you already anticipated it. Take that from a Norwegian ;)
    True.

Even Wales are ranked higher than England now.

Especially if Iceland qualify.

Iceland beating Turkey away by three goals, by the looks of it – leading their group, as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,570

england-xi-3bb5a27cb354c3b4c7ef6bc3acf1929f.jpg

That's my selection no bias from me :))