"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Nah,he was a liability in too many matches..Fabranski is a better goalie, as he is proving now at Swansea.

barryt007 wrote: »
    I love this...well played Jacky Boy !! :

Jack Wilshere trolled on Instagram by ex-teammate Wojciech Szczesny, but Arsenal man has perfect comeback.

Jack Wilshere played 90 minutes for Arsenal for the first time in three years on Wednesday, but it seems as though one of his former teammates wasn't impressed.

After battling injury problems and being sent on loan to Bournemouth, Wilshere is seeking to get his Gunners career back on track this season, and played the full game as Arsenal beat Doncaster Rovers 1-0 in the Carabao Cup.

No doubt buoyed by his experience, he decided to post a #ThrowbackThursday image on Instagram, celebrating the days when he was regarded as both Arsenal and England's bright young hope.

But he didn't reckon with former teammate Wojciech Szczesny.

The Polish goalkeeper - who these days plays for Juventus, but was at Arsenal from the age of 16 - reacted to the pic by asking Wilshere "was that when you were still good at football?"
    But to be fair to the midfielder, he had a pretty strong comeback.

Recalling Arsenal's shock defeat to Birmingham in the 2011 League Cup final - in which both men played and a late Szczesny error allowed Obafemi Martins to score a shock late winner for Blues - Wilshere replied: "No it was when you threw the Carling Cup away from us."

Ouch !!

Well to be fair? He really did ask for that didn't he? Lol!
    Nah,he was a liability in too many matches..Fabranski is a better goalie, as he is proving now at Swansea.

Well, Wojciech Szczęsny is going to take the keeper spot at Juventus from the legend that is Gianluigi Buffon after he retires, isn't he? Remember seeing the press conference when he was announced at Juventus, and how emotional he was when being asked about Arsenal. No doubt he would have stayed if he could. Speaking of Arsenal keepers, it will be interesting to see what happens with Emiliano Martínez after his loan at Getafe. He's been good every time I've seen him play.

Regarding Swansea, Fabiański is by far their best – and most important player. Where would they been without him in the goal? Can't believe I don't have him in my Fantasy-team, but that could change of course!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Looks like Spurs are going to dish out a hammering to the Hammers
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,554
    "Hey, let's put Leicester back into the game with a bogus yellow card and free kick just outside the box, leading to a corner, in which we'll let Leicester tug on the goalkeeper's arm." Appalling.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I'll take that Liverpool win. Ugly, yes, but 3 points and a much-needed win.
    I'll take that Liverpool win. Ugly, yes, but 3 points and a much-needed win.

About time we won again.
    This young lad Brookes is one hell of a young player...playing so well in a Sheffield Derby.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 17,373
    This young lad Brookes is one hell of a young player...playing so well in a Sheffield Derby.

Watching that game now – it's very entertaining! And it's 2-2! :-O

....And now United is up to 2-3!

2-3 to the Blades !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a brilliant match !!

Some really good attacking football in this game now. Don't think we have seen the last goal in this one!
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339

Some really good attacking football in this game now. Don't think we have seen the last goal in this one!

I was just thinking the same...you feel there is a goal in every attack..typical Championship brilliance.
    This is why i love football !

I was just thinking the same...you feel there is a goal in every attack..typical Championship brilliance.
    This is really brilliant! And Brooks got close again!

This is really brilliant! And Brooks got close again!

We were right x 2-4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clarke again! Still don't think we have seen the last goal!
    Clarke again!

He has always been a tough player,great goal.
    32 now but he has still got it !
    He's been brilliant, for sure; and ten minutes plus added time to go!

More than enough time for another goal or two .

Brooks off now. Could have played the match through, couldn't he?

He is putting a defensive midfielder on to keep the score as it is now...makes sense to take him off,they dont need anymore goals,its time to see the match out .

He is putting a defensive midfielder on to keep the score as it is now...makes sense to take him off,they dont need anymore goals,its time to see the match out .

Indeed they did. Good result for United, this!

Great match,and very impressed with Utd...they could go up if they play like that every week.
    I hope Brighton v Newcastle will be as good a match in 45 mins !

Great match,and very impressed with Utd...they could go up if they play like that every week.

Imagine Sheffield United and Leeds in the PL? Only proves that anything can happen in the Championship!
    Really looking forward to Brighton - Newcastle as well. Newcastle have been really impressive, but will play a defensive Brighton who has Pascal Groß to make attacking efforts.

Imagine Sheffield United and Leeds in the PL? Only proves that anything can happen in the Championship!
    Really looking forward to Brighton - Newcastle as well. Newcastle have been really impressive, but will play a defensive Brighton who has Pascal Groß to make attacking efforts.

One of next Sunday's games is Sheff Weds v Leeds..another Yorkshire derby for Sheff Weds at home.

One of next Sunday's games is Sheff Weds v Leeds..another Yorkshire derby for Sheff Weds at home.

Don't know if that game will be on tv here, but I will make sure to see it if it does!

Don't know if that game will be on tv here, but I will make sure to see it if it does!

This game is a sleepathon at the moment,compared to the brilliant early match.
    This game is a sleepathon at the moment,compared to the brilliant early match.

Not the most exciting game, no – but a chase to the finish for Newcastle to get a point, and Brighton to keep a clean sheet. Close for Shelvey on that corner! Could have been a good goal, that one!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Sounds like the Sheffield Derby was good, having a football free day today
    Finished my football Sunday with Rosenborg-Lillestrøm. Yet a solid performance from RBK, winning 3-0. Two goals by Lord Bendtner (one penalty), and a beautiful goal by Helland, from 20 meters.
    Sounds like the Sheffield Derby was good, having a football free day today

It was brilliant..everything a derby should be....end to end stuff.