What kind of Bond fan are you?

Comments

Germanlady wrote:
    OK, I will try to get my hands on one to start with...

My good deed for the day - you'll be a "1" in no time :D

Try to get CR if you can, most folks say its best to go in publication order (see this thread). You could also try MR and LALD for two earlier books that haven't been faithfully adapted to the screen.
    Cipher wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Try to get CR if you can, most folks say its best to go in publication order (see this thread). You could also try MR and LALD for two earlier books that haven't been faithfully adapted to the screen.

Thanks - looking forward to become a "1" and surely I gonna start with the "start" ;)
    I know after CR came out, the books were available everywhere. I had a short look into it and decided it being so thin, it can't be all that exciting. Maybe I was wrong, but i don't fancy thin books.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Cipher wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Thanks - looking forward to become a "1" and surely I gonna start with the "start" ;)
    I know after CR came out, the books were available everywhere. I had a short look into it and decided it being so thin, it can't be all that exciting. Maybe I was wrong, but i don't fancy thin books.

If you are going to attempt the books for the first time you dont really need to start at the start although CR is an incredible book.

Start with whatever sixties Bond film you like best. OHMSS is a good love story and Thunderball has plenty of action. The books are short but very dense and move at a brisk pace. The famous Fleming sweep picks you up and sweeps you along.

You made the comment upthread that the books are for hardcore fans and the films for everyone. The books are for everyone. How do you think they became so successful in the first place?

It is becoming evident. That the fans of the OTT Bonds and smug oneliners havent read the books in the first place.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,690
    actonsteve wrote:
    the fans of the OTT Bonds and smug oneliners havent read the books in the first place.

I have read the novels many times, and IMO the outings that are the closest to Fleming are the 'OTT Bonds' like you call them - DAD with Brosnan's very Flemingesque performance, TMWTGG'74 by the atmosphere... DAF'71 is also close to Fleming. IMO after re-reading the novels after CR, it struck me how far CR '06 is from Fleming's intent... IMO that film is the least Fleming outing.
    I still firmly believe, that out of 10 people watching a Bond movie, maybe 2 have read the books, which would make for A LOT of books, no doubt, but still just maybe 20% of the movie going audience.
    From what I understood, Connery, Dalton and Craig are closest to the books with being A BIT more serious in their approach.

I will report, when and what book I will get. ;)
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 6,601
    @DaltonCraig - I posted, before I read your comment and I can honestly tell you, that my wording is based completely on all the comments I read after CR came out etc...so its strange to see you repeating the exact opposite. But if DAD is what Fleming is all about, I am not so sure anymore, its a good idea to read them.

Germanlady wrote:
    @DaltonCraig - I posted, before I read your comment and I can honestly tell you, that my wording is based completely on all the comments I read after CR came out etc...so its strange to see you repeating the exact opposite. But if DAD is what Fleming is all about, I am not so sure anymore, its a good idea to read them.

Don't be fooled. It's not. There are bits of DAD that might have come from Fleming like Bond in Cuba and Bond in the underground station but as a whole - esp the last 40 mins - it's very un-Fleming-like.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I didn't say the entire DAD film is Flemingesque. I meant that Brosnan's Bond in DAD is much much closer to Fleming's Bond than Craig. But there is lots of weird, strange, bizarre stuff in the books... even if Fleming kept a straight face while writing it... which for me puts the novels close to DAF' 71 and TMWTGG'74 in terms of atmosphere.
    Personally I don't think that Bond in the books is the dour character many would have you believe and also a lot Fleming's plots and ideas are just as bonkers as some of the films.
    Personally I don't think that Bond in the books is the dour character many would have you believe and also a lot Fleming's plots and ideas are just as bonkers as some of the films.

I don't think he's as dour as some people say he is - BUT he's certainly very reflective and likes to ponder.

Yes ! The novels are nowhere as serious and gritty as some say here. IMO they ressemble more a lighter outing like TMWTGG, but still with a bit of low-key stuff of course. It's like some members are fooling themselves by telling themselves the novels are serious and gritty, while it's totally not the case !! Sorry but I never found the novels to be serious stuff. They are much closer to Moore and Connery in his lighter days than anything else.

Well he can be aggressive but he's not perminantly dour. He does laugh sometimes. He certainly likes to indulge in women, gambling and cars.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Well he can be aggressive but he's not perminantly dour. He does laugh sometimes. He certainly likes to indulge in women, gambling and cars.

Just like Moore when he slaps Anders. He charms her one second, and then the next second he's slapping her.
    It will be interesting to find out myself now.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

Just like Moore when he slaps Anders. He charms her one second, and then the next second he's slapping her.

The thing is that style doesn't really suit Moore. As a more serious Bond he's better (I think) in FYEO. With GG it sometimes felt they were trying too hard to make Moore into something he wasn't.
    I get the impression, leaving out OHMSS , that we had serious Bond (out of the books) Connery, light Bond (Moore), serious approach (Dalton), light version (Brosnan) and now back to more serious (Craig).
    Now place a bet, what we will get next :D
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Germanlady wrote:

This might be a good start @Germanlady.

It'll give you a taster of his style without you having to splash out on a copy straight away.
    actonsteve wrote:
    the fans of the OTT Bonds and smug oneliners havent read the books in the first place.

I have read the novels many times, and IMO the outings that are the closest to Fleming are the 'OTT Bonds' like you call them - DAD with Brosnan's very Flemingesque performance, TMWTGG'74 by the atmosphere... DAF'71 is also close to Fleming. IMO after re-reading the novels after CR, it struck me how far CR '06 is from Fleming's intent... IMO that film is the least Fleming outing.

Dear GermanLady,

Do not pay attention to DC. This is a shocking claim of total rubbish.

Claiming DAD is close to Fleming is like claiming Basildon New town car park is close to the Taj Mahal.

actonsteve wrote:
    This is a shocking claim of total rubbish.

Claiming DAD is close to Fleming is like claiming Basildon New town car park is close to the Taj Mahal.

I'm sorry that you are still delusional and living in denial. Brosnan's performance in DAD is very Flemingesque, thus DAD is much more Fleming than CR'06. No need to call me a moron for saying that, or to call my views shit, or crap. Please respect them, as you are not the holder of truth about Fleming.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

This might be a good start @Germanlady.

It'll give you a taster of his style without you having to splash out on a copy straight away.

Thanks, much appreciated. After all the irritating discussion, I am dead set now to read at least one to se for myself B-)

@actonstev: This is exactly the reason now for me to read it. To find out for myslf how far off track DC actually is ;)
    I am not off track on Fleming, and actonsteve isn't the holder of truth on Fleming.... we all have our takes on his novels. I have mine, you have yours, he has his, no need to call each other names because we have different views on the novels. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all saying the same thing ? If we all hated the same films and loved the same films ? Why would anyone come to MI6Community and expect everyone to agree with everyone ? There are many different sides to the Bond world, there's fans of every aspect of Bond, so there's no need to insult people if they love certain aspects of Bond than you hate.
    I think, the problem with you and Moore is, that you guys are pretty much singing a very different tune at times and do it with so much "I throw it in your face and don't you dare to not agree", that this turns people off more then the opinion in itsself, I think. But however that might be, I will keep judgement on the character in the books until I read them.

Moore is cute though...
    I don't mind if people disagree with me... but I do mind when they start calling people names because they don't agree with someone. yes maybe I tease people here a bit, but it's done with no harm meant, no offense meant. you're bound to find people with radically different opinion than you, but that doesn't mean you can't respect them.

There's no harm or offense meant in any of my posts. It's all written with a smile on my face because I love this website and the kind members here.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I think, the problem with you and Moore is, that you guys are pretty much singing a very different tune at times and do it with so much "I throw it in your face and don't you dare to not agree", that this turns people off more then the opinion in itsself, I think.

Moore is cute though...

Are you referring to me? I never noticed that I hade the throw it in your face-attitude, but I guess everyone picks up different signals. I just try to make people understand that OTT-Bond is the best. I´m a Bond priest. And don´t you dare to not agree!

Germanlady wrote:
    I think, the problem with you and Moore is, that you guys are pretty much singing a very different tune at times and do it with so much "I throw it in your face and don't you dare to not agree", that this turns people off more then the opinion in itsself, I think.

Moore is cute though...

Are you referring to me? I never noticed that I hade the throw it in your face-attitude, but I guess everyone picks up different signals. I just try to make people understand that OTT-Bond is the best. I´m a Bond priest. And don´t you dare to not agree!

:D Like I said, you are quite cute and to me one of those, who have fun playing us off.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Moore is cute though...

:D Like I said, you are quite cute and to me one of those, who have fun playing us off.

The funny thing is that my opinions I state here are true to what I really think. But I´m not very serious and might be playing you off. Ich bin ein wahr Bondfan. Das weisst du, Frau.
    . Ich bin ein wahr Bondfan. Das weisst du, Frau.

Nee, weiß ich nicht. Bin nicht überzeugt ;)
    Germanlady wrote:
    . Ich bin ein wahr Bondfan. Das weisst du, Frau.

Nee, weiß ich nicht. Bin nicht überzeugt ;)

My opinions and amazing Bond films that I´ve made might convince you?
    Ich kann nur ein bisschen deutsch, so I better keep it in english instead.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm between 1 and 2, but I used to be purely 1 a long time ago...
    Group 1