Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    TB definitely has a more relaxed pace to it. That's part of its charm.

It's all about the atmosphere & effortless style with this film, and that's why I think it's unique. One either buys into it, or one doesn't. It's still reasonably grounded.

Where you see relaxed pace, I see lack of direction. The opening 30-45 mins are excellent, but as @jobo suggested it doesn't seem to build to a climax. I don't mind a film taking its time to get from A to B; it's the way it does it I have a problem with.

I don't think it's much to ask to have some sense of a climax building.
    That's the key point though. I love the way it does it. Others, like yourself, don't. UItimately, it's quite unique in the manner in which it's paced. Beautifully shot and atmospheric rather than tense and suspenseful (although I do feel the suspense in places). I like that aspect of this film. I think they took it too far with the next one.

Like I said before TB's slow pace works really well and many Bond movies and movies in general would benefit from such pace.

That is not the point. Slow pace with suspense and build up, is great, and I agree modern Bond films should try and emulate that. Slow pace without any underlying tension is just empty.

FRWL, Dr No are slowly paced. Incredibly slow at times. But they build towards something and have an underlying suspense, a threat looming. That simply lacks in TB, at least for me. Others might disagree. I just have to point out that it is not the slow pace itself but how it is paced that is the issue for me.
    I don't find DN and FRWL slow paced. Weren't they incredibly fast paced for the time?
    For the time probably. By today's standards though...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    For a non-Bond fan, FRWL is an overtly boring film. Yes, I've heard people saying things like that...
    For a non-Bond fan, FRWL is an overtly boring film. Yes, I've heard people saying things like that...

Too many uninformed people. Re TB I find the pace fine.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't think of TB and not think of the awful Q scene. It as though they had never seen a Bond film before. Even CR '67 had a better Q scene, at least that one didn't reek of animosity from Bond towards Q.
    I can't think of TB and not think of the awful Q scene. It as though they had never seen a Bond film before. Even CR '67 had a better Q scene, at least that one didn't reek of animosity from Bond towards Q.

What's wrong with the Q scene in TB? And Q was only featured as we came to know him ONE movie earlier so he was barely established and so was his relationship with Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

What's wrong with the Q scene in TB? And Q was only featured as we came to know him ONE movie earlier so he was barely established and so was his relationship with Bond.

I'm aware that it was early on, but it doesn't get a free pass. They were building up to the sort playful banter that we would come to know, but TB got it wrong, so wrong. It's painful to sit through.
    But the character and relationships were barely established! If at all. They could go pretty much anywhere they wanted. And controversial opinion here: Q giving the gadgets to Bond on the site after Bond assessed the situation makes more sense than in GF.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Controversial opinion - TB is a perfect Bond film in every way.

Sounds good to me !!

+1

+2

+3

Just has all the right ingredients in the right proportions.

As for the TB Q-Bond scene, it builds off what seems like a rather awkward beginning to the relationship in GF where Q seems downright unlikeable. I can understand why Bond isn't his biggest fan.

In TB they both one-up each other and it's a welcome bit of comic relief among henchmen being fed to sharks and speared and Bond's allies committing suicide.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Not so much controversial but an opinion I don't see. I think the OHMSS Moneypenny scene is the best in the series. Great chemistry, dialogue and Moneypenny helps out both Bond and M in changing Bond's resignation letter
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes, in a way I think she has more chemistry with Lazenby than Connery or Moore.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    w2bond wrote: »
    Not so much controversial but an opinion I don't see. I think the OHMSS Moneypenny scene is the best in the series. Great chemistry, dialogue and Moneypenny helps out both Bond and M in changing Bond's resignation letter
    Agreed.
    echo wrote: »
    Yes, in a way I think she has more chemistry with Lazenby than Connery or Moore.
    It seemed that way.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That final goodbye, as great is it is, would have been perfect and far more satisfying with Connery; a culmination of all that had gone before.
    Agreed again. It's a poignant scene.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That final goodbye, as great is it is, would have been perfect and far more satisfying with Connery; a culmination of all that had gone before.

Agreed. I often wonder what might have been if Connery had been in OHMSS. Laz was a decent Bond, but Connery levels of greatness he was not.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    controversial opinion: in the modern era we don't need an Oddjob, Jaws, or Hinx... we need tension via substance of a scene and character build-up, like in CR as Bond tracks the terrorist in Miami Airport. Yes, he's not as big as Hinx, but, to me? He's scarier.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    another opinion: CR was not just the best 007 film since '95 (or before), it was one of the best action-thrillers since '95 (or anything from the 90s on).
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited May 2017 Posts: 2,252
    Another opinion which is not controversial but I don't read often. Connery's performance in Dr No has not been beaten. Ever. No one even comes close, even Connery himself except maybe FRWL and CR. That's largely down to not much else happening in the film so Bond has to be the star. His charm, snobbiness, sophisticated tastes, ruthlessness are all shown to the audience sometimes in subtle character moments, and more obviously in other situations. We don't need "sexist misogynist", "man nobody can come close to" and "held together by your pills" comments to figure Bond out.
  • GBFGBF
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,195
    Well this is called the controversial opinion thread not the we can all agree on this opinion thread
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GBF wrote: »
    Well this is called the controversial opinion thread not the we can all agree on this opinion thread

Both are what keeps this thread alive.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Both are what keeps this thread alive.

No. It's what keeps this thread alone. [SCNR]
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 15,818
    Another opinion which is not controversial but I don't read often. Connery's performance in Dr No has not been beaten. Ever. No one even comes close, even Connery himself except maybe FRWL and CR. That's largely down to not much else happening in the film so Bond has to be the star. His charm, snobbiness, sophisticated tastes, ruthlessness are all shown to the audience sometimes in subtle character moments, and more obviously in other situations. We don't need "sexist misogynist", "man nobody can come close to" and "held together by your pills" comments to figure Bond out.

I'd agree with that as well, though it would be a tie for me between his DR NO and FRWL performances. In my controversial opinion, his Bond in those two films are the truest to Fleming's character, even though I love both Tim and Daniel's takes on the role.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 386
    In recognition of the great Sir Roger Moore, I'd like to declare my love for the 'Moonraker' theme, IMO the best of the Bassey themes.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    In recognition of the great Sir Roger Moore, I'd like to declare my love for the 'Moonraker' theme, IMO the best of the Bassey themes.

I would probably disagree, but it is difficult to find this controversial today.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I love the disco version that ends the film.

I wouldn't call it disco, just a little bit more upbeat. Anyhow, I also much prefer it to the opening theme.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    MR is a fantastic tune, for sure. I enjoy both versions that are in the film.
    Classic.

"James, take me around the world one more time."
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I wouldn't call it disco, just a little bit more upbeat. Anyhow, I also much prefer it to the opening theme.

It's definitely disco. Embrace it.
    echo wrote: »

It's definitely disco. Embrace it.

Even if you would call it techno I still would love it. It does have a quite uplifting effect on me.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    yep, sounds good to me!

Disagree, as I disagree about the pacing of the film, Connery is best in Thunderball, an extremely exiting, suspensefull film from beginning to end. From the hopelessness of the start, where M even jokes about Bond's hunch but protects his agent when called out by the Airforce officer, to the strong belief without evidence when he's running around Largo and his ship, while beeing chased himself by Fiona, to the underwater battles which have no equal. Thunderball is the best of them all, and Connery shines as Bond. The way he connects with Domino, the way he plays with Fiona, the way he pokes Largo's hornets' nest in the hope he slips up, he does it with style and panache.

And he strikes, like Thunderball!