Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Mostly in terms of sexuality.
    What a dirty movie.
  • w2bond wrote: »
    Also in DN they probably didn't want to do anything TOO extravagent like drowning the villain in bird crap.

Yes that does happen in the novel but did anyone want to see that? I don't know, was anyone looking forward to that happening and let down when he just boiled in the reactor?
    w2bond wrote: »
    Also in DN they probably didn't want to do anything TOO extravagent like drowning the villain in bird crap.

Yes that does happen in the novel but did anyone want to see that? I don't know, was anyone looking forward to that happening and let down when he just boiled in the reactor?

The movie version worked better for that medium I thought. In the book it was hilarious though.
  • A new controversial opinion:

Hamilton's second run (DAF-LALD-TMWTGG) was probably the nadir of the franchise. Maybe excluding LALD, which is decent.
    A new controversial opinion:

Hamilton's second run (DAF-LALD-TMWTGG) was probably the nadir of the franchise. Maybe excluding LALD, which is decent.
    Not contoversial... just
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    DELETE.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    A new controversial opinion:

Not contoversial... just

Oh.
    Oh.
    Tell me that wasn't funny....
    :))

Compared to many modern action movies, it still is. In fact, I will say that Bond movies are maybe the only "action" movies that truly feature sexuality and eroticism. Here's my controversial opinion.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Ludovico wrote: »

Compared to many modern action movies, it still is. In fact, I will say that Bond movies are maybe the only "action" movies that truly feature sexuality and eroticism. Here's my controversial opinion.

Id say bond its only franchise which does it in a classy way. Many feature or include it but its all with rap music and woman looking like prostitutes.

Only Bond puts woman with sexy clothes and bikini and the films still look very classy

And so many action movies have the hero as a bloody puritan.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Well I can't remeber a puritan action hero but definitely Bond is the sexiest action franchise.

Big part of what makes James Bond so special its the sex appeal and Glamour these films bring. Its a franchise with almost an equal appeal to woman and men.

Yes Bond might be a little sexist and womanizer but we girls love a character as sexy, charming and confident as Bond and on top of that he can also fight and protect his girl.

Szonana wrote: »
    Yes Bond might be a little sexist and womanizer but we girls love a character as sexy, charming and confident as Bond and on top of that he can also fight and protect his girl.

I never realized that you were female!
    Hmm, suddenly you've become more interesting, @Szonana.... (pardon my sexism here...
    :\"> )
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,130
    chrisisall wrote: »

I never realized that you were female!
    Hmm, suddenly you've become more interesting, @Szonana.... (pardon my sexism here...
    :\"> )

Don't worry, non offense taken. Now i have to apologize for my cockiness but i can see why the female point of view can be more interesting when it comes to Bond.
    We give another focus to this character and i never thought before about this but maybe one of the reasons on why Bond is working so fine both gendres is because Barbara and Michael give it a good balance.

Barbara gives the female point of view on what woman like about Bond and Michael what guys like about Bond.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    [/quote]

And I think the action is fine. Because it does not get in the way of plot, atmosphere, character(s), etc. And it's rather primitive aspect actually enhances the film's charm and strengths. [/quote]

I agree. DN is a masterpiece.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Well I can't remeber a puritan action hero but definitely Bond is the sexiest action franchise.

Big part of what makes James Bond so special its the sex appeal and Glamour these films bring. Its a franchise with almost an equal appeal to woman and men.

Well said. Agreed, from a Man's perspective that is.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Bit late to this debate but hey ho..

I really love Never Say Never Again...!

So many great moments and performances in it.

Big Sean, Brandeur and Carrera are excellent in it.

The only downside is the awful score and a weak climax.
    Maybe not controversial but here it is: the other 00 agents are pretty much nothing more than red shirts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Maybe not controversial but here it is: the other 00 agents are pretty much nothing more than red shirts.
    Except Silva & Trevelyn surely!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »

Where is it mentioned that Silva was a 00?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2016 Posts: 45,489

The worst other doblos of them all.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883

I always assumed he was one given he worked for M. I suppose he could have just been a tech geek, but then he was a bloody 'good shot' when he needed to be. EDIT: Actually, didn't she say he was a 'brilliant agent'?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Silva could have been one of her bean counters. :P
    I just added above - she did say he was a 'brilliant agent' as I recall
  • RC7RC7
    Silva wasn't a 00, just an agent working for 'M' when she was stationed in HK.
    00 or not, he was a highly trained 'field' agent. Cyanide pill as well as 'torture resistance' training apparently. Good shot too as I mentioned. I guess he never got his two kills 'officially'.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Goodnight and Ferrara are field agents!!

Not everyone at MI6 is licenced to kill.

Yes, apparently. Nevertheless, I'm sure he got more than his share of kills along the way. Just not officially.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 14,826

I always assumed he was one given he worked for M. I suppose he could have just been a tech geek, but then he was a bloody 'good shot' when he needed to be. EDIT: Actually, didn't she say he was a 'brilliant agent'?

That does not mean he is a 00. MI6 has more agents than this. I think on the contrary that he was a station agent specialized in hacking. He might have been competent as a shooter, but this is not all it takes to be a 00. In fact he seems far too good working from his desk and wrecking havoc to be used in the field, unless it is absolutely necessary.

That does not mean he is a 00. MI6 has more agents than this. I think on the contrary that he was a station agent specialized in hacking. He might have been competent as a shooter, that does not make him a 00.
    Indeed, as has been pointed out, but Silva was no Goodnight or Ferrara either. He was pretty competent as I've outlined (including being provided with a cyanide pill), to say the least. Alec on the other hand, was a very effective 00.