Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

This might be a bit controversial - I didn't really feel much when Dalton discovered the Leiters being maimed/murdered. There just wasn't any sense of emotional rush or desire for revenge as with Saunder's death in TLD.

I'm with you all the way there. The Saunders scene blows it away and I also find Vijay and Mathis's deaths far more emotional than this.

It should've been one of the standout scenes of the film but just comes across as rather flat.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Paris car chase is the best sequence in AVTAK. (Including the Eiffel Tower bit.)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Paris car chase is the best sequence in AVTAK. (Including the Eiffel Tower bit.)

What about the Golden Gate finale?
    'OH MY CAR, OH'

• I'm with you all the way there. The Saunders scene blows it away and I also find Vijay and Mathis's deaths far more emotional than this.

It should've been one of the standout scenes of the film but just comes across as rather flat.

Yep. It's very insipid and just... lacking. I don't think Dalton's overacting here (there's a lot overacting his Bond films, though) but the scene just doesn't have anything going for it. That does sum up how I feel about many LTK scenes - which could've, should've, and seemed like they were intended to be some great scenes, but they just weren't. That's partly why I have it last, which I know is very controversial in of itself.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GoldenGun wrote: »

What about the Golden Gate finale?

Like most finales, I find it really dull. Bond breathing the tires is another standout scene, but I don t think that is controversial.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

This might be a bit controversial - I didn't really feel much when Dalton discovered the Leiters being maimed/murdered. There just wasn't any sense of emotional rush or desire for revenge as with Saunder's death in TLD.

I'm with you all the way there. The Saunders scene blows it away and I also find Vijay and Mathis's deaths far more emotional than this.

Agree. Dalton's acting is well off for the scene. It's almost as if he's trying too hard and overdoing it. Like a lot in LTK, it just doesn't work.

You're right, Saunders death was much more effective and Dalton was great in that scene.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Personally, I think the Paris chase scene feels very average in comparison to other chase scenes that have been in Bond.

That "ma carrrr!" has to be one of the worst moments in the series.

It's funny when the driver overacts falling into the stand by waving his legs in the air.
    Here is another one: whatever Michael Apted said and claimed, the main villain of TWINE is Renard, not Elektra.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Michael Apted is the worst Bond director ever.
    He had Sophie Marceau, Robert Carlyle and a Pierce Brosnan in his prime and wasn't able to get the best out of them.
    Although Brosnan really does his best.
    Never seen a more visually boring Bond movie than TWINE.
    Only the PTS is from another world. Sometimes I wonder if that was directed by someone else.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just don't see it, as she was the mastermind and she manipulated him, and he took orders from her.

That is beside the point. Largo is the main villain of TB, not Blofeld. Renard is set up as the main antagonist, he is the one who is so feared that one of his henchwomen commits suicide in a horrible fashion rather than face his wrath, he is the one giving orders, he is the leader of the organization... It is only an arbitrary statement from Apted that puts Elektra as the main villain. The plot tells a very different tale.
    Well of course, and this is my controversial opinion on a controversial subject. but I think that the Apted claim is pretty much the only thing sustaining the Elektra as the main villain theory.

As for FRWL, I think Grant and Klebb share equally the title.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Michael Apted is the worst Bond director ever.
    He had Sophie Marceau, Robert Carlyle and a Pierce Brosnan in his prime and wasn't able to get the best out of them.
    Although Brosnan really does his best.
    Never seen a more visually boring Bond movie than TWINE.
    Only the PTS is from another world. Sometimes I wonder if that was directed by someone else.

I would argue that TWINE can be visually striking at times.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The last couple of times I've watched it, I have to say I'm not too fond of the romantic LTK ending. Obvious winking fish aside, it just feels really soppy and cheesy with Pam running off crying and Dalton jumping into the pool.

The best bit is the look Q gives as he sips his drink and goes back to the party.

That ending almost made me vomit!

After the grim bloody revenge story we've just sat through it really is jarring!

As for that stupid winking fish.....ugh!
    I really loved that fish wink. It was just so... magical. :x
    Lupe got her sugardaddy, Bond got Pam, & Pam got wet... what better ending could one ask for after all that angst? =D>
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @chrisisall, oh, Pam definitely got wet, alright, heyohhhhhh!!!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @chrisisall, oh, Pam definitely got wet, alright, heyohhhhhh!!!
    You picked up on my subtle but clever wording I see.
    B-)
  • I definitely do not see Grant as the villain of FRWL. Come on. He is taking orders from Klebb, who was put in charge of Kronsteen's plan by Blofeld. Klebb is the main villain.

One might plausibly argue that Orlov is the main villain in OP, that I might consider.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I definitely do not see Grant as the villain of FRWL. Come on. He is taking orders from Klebb, who was put in charge of Kronsteen's plan by Blofeld. Klebb is the main villain.

One might plausibly argue that Orlov is the main villain in OP, that I might consider.

By this logic, wouldn't Blofeld be the main villain, then, if Klebb is working underneath him?
  • The acting in TWINE was even worse than in LTK. Hammy performances from all but two people.
    Timothy Dalton was the best James Bond and only Connery in his first two films is close.
  • The acting in TWINE was even worse than in LTK. Hammy performances from all but two people.

Judi Dench and?
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I definitely do not see Grant as the villain of FRWL. Come on. He is taking orders from Klebb, who was put in charge of Kronsteen's plan by Blofeld. Klebb is the main villain.

By this logic, wouldn't Blofeld be the main villain, then, if Klebb is working underneath him?

Yes I know but Klebb is the one in charge of the plan. She is the individual who represents the biggest antagonist force against Bond. Blofeld just sat in a chair. So what if he gave Klebb the order he didn't exactly do much. When she died/was removed from the picture, so did the conflict. She is the villain as far as I'm concerned.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The last couple of times I've watched it, I have to say I'm not too fond of the romantic LTK ending. Obvious winking fish aside, it just feels really soppy and cheesy with Pam running off crying and Dalton jumping into the pool.

The best bit is the look Q gives as he sips his drink and goes back to the party.

That ending almost made me vomit!

After the grim bloody revenge story we've just sat through it really is jarring!

As for that stupid winking fish.....ugh!
    I really loved that fish wink. It was just so... magical. :x
    Lupe got her sugardaddy, Bond got Pam, & Pam got wet... what better ending could one ask for after all that angst? =D>

After Bond had disobeyed M's direct order and then resigned from MI6, as well as inadvertently getting Sharky killed, you'd have thought that would have been cleared up before the daft ending was thrown at us.

Just love Leiter's comments from his hospital bed though...he'll soon be up and about to do some fishing..???!!! Your newly wedded wife has just been murdered FFS!!!!

It's like the makers gave us all that grimness but then copped out for a cheesy 'everything's alright really' ending. Talk about have your cake and eat it!
    I think it still could have been a happy-ish ending in that Bond gets the girl and Felix survived. It just wasn't very believable really. As I've said before, I wish they'd ended with a quick shot of Felix looking at a picture of Della from his hospital bed.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,386
    I wish Bond had escaped from Fiona Volpe in TB but that she hadn't died the way she did. I wish her execution had been ordered by Blofeld because she failed him. It would have been nice to have one more moment with Blofeld later in the film and this would have made that possible.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yes I know but Klebb is the one in charge of the plan. She is the individual who represents the biggest antagonist force against Bond. Blofeld just sat in a chair. So what if he gave Klebb the order he didn't exactly do much. When she died/was removed from the picture, so did the conflict. She is the villain as far as I'm concerned.

I have never been able to come away from this scene feeling like Klebb is the main villain of FRWL:
    :

I think it still could have been a happy-ish ending in that Bond gets the girl and Felix survived. It just wasn't very believable really. As I've said before, I wish they'd ended with a quick shot of Felix looking at a picture of Della from his hospital bed.

Exactly right. The makers wanted a more serious and grown up Bond film and should have seen it through to the very end. They copped out big time.

The ending looked like it belonged in a Roger Moore Bond and was completely out of sync with the rest of the film. (Not that i like the rest of the film either)

• edited April 2016 Posts: 4,325
    FRWL doesn't have a main villain. TWINE has Elektra as the main villain.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,690
    To be perfectly honest, most Bond films collapse on themselves either during a bloated climax, or a campy final scene with Bond and the main girl.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Bar CR, which is perfect.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Bar CR, which is perfect.

In my opinion the only perfect ending (climax + end scene) to a Bond film is TSWLM. I'm sadly ignoring CR because I'm counting the hospital sequence (with the awful armour and little finger lines) as part of the final act.