Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

I very much like Sheena Easton's "For Your Eyes Only". In fact, it may be my favorite Bond song. How's that for controversial? :D
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I didn't hear the song until I heard it attached to SP for the first time, but in that month leading up to the release when the song's unveiling was a big talking point, I recall a great deal of people having pretty big complaints with it.

I heard it prior to seeing Spectre and outright hated it, but when I saw it with the title sequence and in context with the plot, I loved it. Even several months removed I still enjoy it a lot.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Deleted accidental double post.
  • GE has a good score. In fact, it has a very good score.

Madonna's Die Another Day is not good, but it is appropriate, since it is played during a torture scene, and because it is Madonna singing that really does emphasise the torture so see it works.
  • GBFGBF
    For Your Eyes Only has a very good score and song

This comment here was ignored. And it is very controversial, though I would agree that the song is good and the score is good to listen to but not fitting for the film.

I like the title song and how it is used in the underwater sequneces. The "drive in the country tune" is one my all time favourite Bond tunes. I know it has no real Bond vibe to it but it is just so catchy and it works100% in the funny car chase (probably my favourite Bond car chase).

I also like the location music (Cortina, Corffu).

However, I don't really like the score in the ski sequence. It is a very dated 70/80s music. Might have been cool back then but has not aged that very well imo.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The 80's was the best decade for Bond scores, then 70's, then 60's.
    dalton wrote: »
    I very much like Sheena Easton's "For Your Eyes Only". In fact, it may be my favorite Bond song. How's that for controversial? :D

It is my co-favourite with Nobody does it better

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

That's fact.
  • GBFGBF

That's fact.

All in all I would say that the 60s scores are on average slightly better than the 80s scores which are slightly better than the 70s score. But they are all great.
    GBF wrote: »

That's fact.

All in all I would say that the 60s scores are on average slightly better than the 80s scores which are slightly better than the 70s score. But they are all great.

What!? Dr No?
  • GBFGBF
    I said on average. Dr. No is a bad score. But the 60s also had Goldfinger, Thunderball, YOLT, OHMSS and FRWL which are all good or even excelent.

I think the 80s Barry score are all excellent and are probably among my all time favourite Bond scores. AVTAK is indeed my favourite. But I am not such a big fan of the Kamen score and FYEO is a mixed bag for me (some great some poor tunes).

The 70s have had great Scores (Moonraker, Live and Let die, DAD). I personally find TSWLM and TMWTGG average. Not bad, but not as good as the other.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Drastically

That's fact.

All I know is everything went downhill in this respect in the 90's. Drastically.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,588
    MR is definitely my favourite of Barry's scores. It's part of the reason why I love the film so much.

Another controversial opinion: Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies is actually not that bad of a song.
  • GBFGBF
    We can agree on that!! And I am not a David Arnold hater. He is a very good composer but Barry was just so very good imo.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    I like this thread.

Another controversial opinion: Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies is actually not that bad of a song.
    I agree. I enjoy it a lot, especially on screen at the very start when the jet's propulsion breaks the glass for the intro. I much prefer it to 'Surrender' which everyone goes on about, and which sounds like Shirley pastiche. Sheryl's track is original sounding in contrast..
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,093
    Sheryl Crow's song is better than "Surrender", there I said it. [-(

I'm fed up with the contrarians.
  • GBFGBF

I also like Crow's song more. Just her voice in the chorus is a bit of a let down.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

I also like Crow's song more. Just her voice in the chorus is a bit of a let down.

It's a shrieking catastrophe :))
    I like Crow's song.

Agree
  • Sheryl's song is great and I DO prefer it to Surrender.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that Crow's song is great, but I do like it a bit and find it to be much better than the incredibly overrated "Surrender".
    GE has a good score. In fact, it has a very good score.

The Goldeneye Overture is very good, and the title song is alright.
    Madonna's Die Another Day is not good, but it is appropriate, since it is played during a torture scene, and because it is Madonna singing that really does emphasise the torture so see it works.
    =))
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    All Time High is a decent song, and it's especially good when it's used in its instrumental form in the movie.
  • All Time High is a decent song, and it's especially good when it's used in its instrumental form in the movie.

Agree. The only bad Moore songs were TMWTGG and well... I guess MR because I don't like it that much.
    All Time High isn't a bad song, it just sounds a bit generic IMO.
    GE has a good score. In fact, it has a very good score.

Well, I completely agree with you, this song is pure torture. That is not controversial.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I prefer the instrumental version. The melody itself is pretty good but the lyrics don't compliment the song.
    My controversial opinion is how can a genuine Bond movie fan not like Live and Let Die
  • My controversial opinion is how can a genuine Bond movie fan not like Live and Let Die

Quite controversial indeed! Honestly, LALD sits comfortably at 16 for me. A sort of nonissue that I consider to be neither great nor awful, just 'there'. But there are parts in it that are great. Great villain, great main Bond girl, and a classic crocodile sequence.

But there is little momentum to the plot and Rosie Carver is not a very good actress. Baron Samedi is a better henchman than Tee Hee. Some of the action is good (double decker bus chase) some not (the overlong boat chase).