Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I will give it another chance, but I was left nonplussed (which I recently learned only means "unimpressed" to Americans) as well. However listening to the Dr No and LALD soundtracks definitely reignites my Bond passion. Contrary to some reports that we take joy in hating on Craig's films, nearly all of us really really wanted to love SPECTRE.
  • RC7RC7
    Being down on SP is one thing, being down on 'Bond' because of SP is stupid. Bond is what you want it to be, when you want it to be. No need to go emo.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Being down on SP is one thing, being down on 'Bond' because of SP is stupid. Bond is what you want it to be, when you want it to be. No need to go emo.

Not "stupid". It is out of one's control at times. After seeing MOONRAKER I lost a lot of enthusiasm for the franchise. The future looked bleak, because I had no idea that EON would ever redirect. It took decades for me to come fully back. SPECTRE had a similar effect on me. I hope I'm incorrect, but I get a feeling that we're in for more of the same if Craig returns. Maybe I'm "emo", but the only thing keeping me invested is this site.

My point is that there is so much more 'Bond' out there. For instance, can SP really make you lose interest in Fleming? Surely this represents just another chapter. It's the doomsday talk I find particularly emo and 'woe is me'. The Major has had to sit through a decade of sub par Bond on his terms but (I may be wrong) I'm sure his enthusiasm for the rest of the canon hasn't diminished as a result. So I can see the hate for SP, but allowing that to effect your wider view of Bond seems silly.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,727
    Bah, you choose what constitutes 'your' Bond universe, don't you? To me, there is no DAF, TMWTGG or DAD - they simply do not exist in my own personal world. I don't watch them, own them or ever give them much thought at all.

Their existence and the unfortunate encounters I have had with them certainly don't reduce my enjoyment of all the other Bond films & books I love.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Having seen some truly terrible terrible movies in my time. Even the worst Bond movies are 100x better than some of the cinematic garbage laying around. Every Bond film is like a different flavor of ice cream. One for every time of the year. :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Murdock wrote: »
    Having seen some truly terrible terrible movies in my time. Even the worst Bond movies are 100x better than some of the cinematic garbage laying around. Every Bond film is like a different flavor of ice cream. One for every time of the year. :)

I couldn't agree more. I have a large movie case at home filled with 100+ movies and nine times out of ten, I'll choose a Bond film, even if it is one of my lesser favorites (FYEO, LTK, AVTAK) Those to me are still better films than 99% of my case.

I couldn't agree more. I have a large movie case at home filled with 100+ movies and nine times out of ten, I'll choose a Bond film, even if it is one of my lesser favorites (FYEO, LTK, AVTAK) Those to me are still better films than 99% of my case.

Same here, It's sad to see someone get Bond fatigue or have their enjoyment of Bond lessened from a film they didn't happen to like. Though it is understandable. The Star Wars prequel trilogy soured my love of the original trilogy until recently but I avoid them now and enjoy the Original Trilogy and The Force Awakens. Same with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Die Hard 5. I just avoid them and enjoy the others in the series. I guess I love Bond movies so much that a disappointing film won't make my fire fizzle out.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I only watched about half of Die Hard 5 and couldn't take any more. But like you said, it doesn't make you enjoy the others any less. I've always enjoyed the first four. One or in our case with Bond ( a few) bad apples shouldn't ruin the bunch. Plenty of people hate DAF, I find it one of my favourites (sits at #7-8 in my power rankings.) FYEO and LTK seem to be popular here, they sit at 23-24 in mine. I loved Spectre, most people seemed to be disappointed. In the end its all personal preference. Different strokes for different folks.
    Ever since I swapped DAF and OHMSS's viewing order, I just see DAF as a Sequel to YOLT and OHMSS as the true sequel to DAF, it's more enjoyable for me. I don't hate it but it's not up top but I still enjoy it, especially for Barry's score.
    Of course I agree even Moonraker has it's fun moments
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I think I'm experiencing Bond fatigue at the moment aswell. I enjoyed SP but, like @SJK91, I can't say I'm itching to see it again so soon. Maybe it will be different when I actually see it on the shelf but it doesn't seem that long ago since I saw it in the cinema.

It's going beyond SP though as in I'm starting to see the "shtick" that each actor does when playing the role...and that includes Connery.

I've decided to lay off actually watching the films for the time being
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    SP didn't kill my enthusiasm for the rest of the Bond films but I'm not very excited to see Bond 25 if Craig and Waltz return.
    Can't say that it isn't stupid to be honest. I don't enjoy my current disinterest in Bond, believe me. Yes, there are so many other Bond items out there (books, movies etc) but I've been through them more times than I have kept track of. I'm not even a big fan of Quantum of Solace anymore but with every Craig Bond release I remember getting a new "high" for the franchise. Spectre was the first Bond film in 10 years that didn't affect me that way. I don't want to go emo, but I suppose I am at the moment. (WOW, what an emo thing to say hahaha)
    Maybe I'm "emo", but the only thing keeping me invested is this site.
    Yep, same here.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm experiencing intense character kill fatigue at the moment.... due to a certain film released recently...
    Craig's SP is a welcome release from needless emo IMO.
    SJK91 wrote: »
    Can't say that it isn't stupid to be honest. I don't enjoy my current disinterest in Bond, believe me. Yes, there are so many other Bond items out there (books, movies etc) but I've been through them more times than I have kept track of. I'm not even a big fan of Quantum of Solace anymore but with every Craig Bond release I remember getting a new "high" for the franchise. Spectre was the first Bond film in 10 years that didn't affect me that way. I don't want to go emo, but I suppose I am at the moment. (WOW, what an emo thing to say hahaha)
    Maybe I'm "emo", but the only thing keeping me invested is this site.
    Yep, same here.

I have to say when I saw Spectre in the cinema (only seen it once so far) I loved it. Could see its many flaws, but loved it. But I get getting disinterested after a disappointment with a new film. This is how I felt after seeing Die Another Day, somehow after that I just lost a bit of interest in Bond. Whereas after Spectre I wanted to watch all the Bond films again and read many of the continuation novels that I haven't got around to reading yet.
  • TinkerTinker Her Majesty
    This is how I felt after seeing Die Another Day, somehow after that I just lost a bit of interest in Bond.

Die another day got me interest in Bond so let's just cool it on that ok?
    Tinker wrote: »
    This is how I felt after seeing Die Another Day, somehow after that I just lost a bit of interest in Bond.

Die another day got me interest in Bond so let's just cool it on that ok?

Cool it? I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2016 Posts: 45,489
    DAD got him interested in Bond, so thirteen years later he decided to watch one more.

And yet Skyfall, which he never even saw, is his favourite.
    DAD got him interested in Bond, so thirteen years later he decided to watch one more.

And yet Skyfall, which he never even saw, is his favourite.

That's fine, I understood that, and that's great. But 'cool it'? Cool what?
    Christartos likes it cool.
    @Tinker, according to your profile Skyfall is your favourite Bond, but you've only seen DAD and Spectre right?
    I thought this was supposed to be an intellectual-like site...

I mean COOL IT like let's move on to another subject. Just an english expression I picked up somewhere
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Well, watching some of the classic Bond's, I'm reminded of how much better than Spectre they were - particularly how much better Blofeld was in them.
    Tanaka I have answered all your questions over on the introduce youself thread. Please look at that to find the answers you seek vis a vis Skyfall.
    I thought this was supposed to be an intellectual-like site...

I mean COOL IT like let's move on to another subject. Just an english expression I picked up somewhere

Sorry, English isn't my first language.
    Nor is it mine dear laddie. Let's move the discussion along. Who hear proposes a toast for Spectre who's with me. Maybe we would all sign a card to the producers and mail it
    Nor is it mine dear laddie. Let's move the discussion along. Who hear proposes a toast for Spectre who's with me. Maybe we would all sign a card to the producers and mail it

You make me smile.
    Someone will soon be toast anyway.
    Someone will soon be toast anyway.

I feel like we're halfway there already with someone :)
    If you're talking about me you would do well do address me directly