"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    To be honest I think DAD starts to go down hill once Bond arrives in London - up to then it's pretty good. Just a shame they then decided that they wanted to do another style of Bond film.

But 'Say hello to gravity' - best line in the series :)

Have to agree there. Perhaps not to the "best in the series" level but it's a good moment
    w2bond wrote: »
    To be honest I think DAD starts to go down hill once Bond arrives in London - up to then it's pretty good. Just a shame they then decided that they wanted to do another style of Bond film.

Have to agree there. Perhaps not to the "best in the series" level but it's a good moment

I do hope @w2bond you're being as sarcastic as I am :)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited April 2016 Posts: 2,252
    w2bond wrote: »

I do hope @w2bond you're being as sarcastic as I am :)

@tanaka123 :\"> I do like it. It's childish but a satisfying moment
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    "Say hello to my little friend... Mr. Newton"
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quality wise I'd put DAD and DAF are the bottom, by far. In terms of the level entertainment and fun I get from these 2 outings, they could probably get into my top 10.

I enjoy both the serious Bond films and the OTT Bond films, but for me the OTT Bond films are much more rewatchable IMO. There's just something about watching Brozza, Sean or Sir Rog having the time of their life, giving one liners left and right and being badasses in some of the most insane action scenes, and trying to keep a cool head amongst all the weird and crazy stuff happening.
  • tanaka123 wrote: »

"Say hello to gravity" doesn't even make sense to me. It's not gravity at all that kills him, it's the plane's propeller.

"Say hello to gravity" doesn't even make sense to me. It's not gravity at all that kills him, it's the plane's propeller.

Exactly, it's stupid.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Quality wise I'd put DAD and DAF are the bottom, by far. In terms of the level entertainment and fun I get from these 2 outings, they could probably get into my top 10.

I enjoy both the serious Bond films and the OTT Bond films, but for me the OTT Bond films are much more rewatchable IMO. There's just something about watching Brozza, Sean or Sir Rog having the time of their life, giving one liners left and right and being badasses in some of the most insane action scenes, and trying to keep a cool head amongst all the weird and crazy stuff happening.

Yes. DAD and DAF are the bottom-dwellers on my ranking, and many others' I should think.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Not me.
    DAF is last DAD is in the middle. It's too entertaining and Gustav Graves and Miranda Frost are two of my favourite characters in the series.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Not me.
    DAF is last DAD is in the middle. It's too entertaining and Gustav Graves and Miranda Frost are two of my favourite characters in the series.
    Seconded.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The pre-credits sequence I really like and the sword fight is fun (except for that awful cameo from that dreadlocked show jumper micro-celebrity) but overall it's not a very good film and definitely Brosnan's worst.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Who is the guy with dreadlocks? His awkward chatty appearance seems totally out of the blue - almost like it's a cameo - but I don't recognize him from anything.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @Creasy47. I thought that was an inside joke or something which I missed. I would have thought that a place like Blades Fencing Club would insist on a more traditional 'do' for its employees. Perhaps that was the point of his statement that the place needed renovating (modernizing?)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Who is the guy with dreadlocks? His awkward chatty appearance seems totally out of the blue - almost like it's a cameo - but I don't recognize him from anything.

His name is Oliver Skeete. He was a pretty rubbish novelty showjumper. God knows why he had a 'cameo' in the film.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Not me.

I go so far as to rate DAD in my top 5. I am fully aware that I have mental issues. :))
    Not me.

I go so far as to rate DAD in my top 5. I am fully aware that I have mental issues. :))

DAD stayed firmely on No 10 spot for almost a decade 2006-2014. Before it was in my Top 5 :)

Last year it slipped down to 13/14 but I think it was because I got influenced by the constant criticism towards DAD around here :) silly me
    I need to include NSNA in my list. Bad and all as it is, I would still watch it over DAD! For Connery, Barbara Carrera, Alec McKeown, and I liked Max Von Sydow as Blofeld (apart from the dickie bow tie!). That's four more reasons to like it than the appalling DAD.
    Oh, and a shout out for the late great Douglas Slocome on cinematography! That's five!
    Yes, its a very sylish looking film. Slocome was a well revered in the industry! Some of the dialogue was pretty bad, but it does have a great line from Connery, when Fatima Blush water skis onto the platform, "I've made you all wet!", Bond "Yes, but my martinis still dry!"
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Should that not be Never Again Say Never?
    Not me.
    Seconded.

I agree.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Yes, its a very sylish looking film. Slocome was a well revered in the industry! Some of the dialogue was pretty bad, but it does have a great line from Connery, when Fatima Blush water skis onto the platform, "I've made you all wet!", Bond "Yes, but my martinis still dry!"
    Love that scene, and it was homaged in DAD (they say it's homaging DN, but it's also that very scene in NSNA, including the vigorous sex thereafter)
    bondjames wrote: »
    Love that scene, and it was homaged in DAD (they say it's homaging DN, but it's also that very scene in NSNA, including the vigorous sex thereafter)
    I say they were doing both. And now that you mention it, I totally see the NSNA scene being in service for DAD's homage to it.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    I say they were doing both. And now that you mention it, I totally see the NSNA scene being in service for DAD's homage to it.

I doubt that scene in DAD was an homage to Never say Never again because its a film Barbara most hate for Sean Connery's betrayal, but who knows maybe she loves secretley lol.

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »
    I doubt that scene in DAD was an homage to Never say Never again because its a film Barbara most hate for Sean Connery's betrayal, but who knows maybe she loves secretley lol.

Funny that Redwood Manning was in NSNA,and then pops up in EON's AVTAK two years later with a fairly big role (Bob Conley).

Ive never seen NSNA but its funny how conneru went from an official Bond film to an un official and Redwood the other way around.

Steven Seagal worked on the sets of both.
    I've heard that. I guess that's as close as I've ever come to seeing a Steven Seagal film.
    Not to mention, having Connery's wrist "accidentally" broken...
    Master Seagal taught Anderson the front kick you can never take that away from him. [-O<
    he is a god amongst men. lol
    He was awesome in the 90s, but when he became too ridiculously god-like and an unnecessarily arrogant SOB, I dropped his films from my watchlist. According to him, he can singlehandedly take on the world and win the war. Lol!

I've heard that. I guess that's as close as I've ever come to seeing a Steven Seagal film.

W...w....w....wh....whaaaaaaaat???
    Under Siege? On Deadly Ground? Half Past Dead?

So I guess you've never seen a Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Chuck Norris or Stallone or Schwarzenegger film either (of the 80's and 90's).

And what about the greatest ever movie franchise ever? The Expendables???

W...w....w....wh....whaaaaaaaat???
    Under Siege? On Deadly Ground? Half Past Dead?

So I guess you've never seen a Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Chuck Norris or Stallone or Schwarzenegger film either (of the 80's and 90's).

And what about the greatest ever movie franchise ever? The Expendables???
    Annnnnnnnd you've just completed my list to watch films back to back. Thanks! :D