X-Men (2000 - 20)

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    1) Very few action heavy movies have thought-provoking plots (The Matrix aside)
    2) The Scorpion King 2. That's all I have to say on the bad CG front.

A good deal of comic books have contrived and convoluted plots, and cliches exist all over movies nowadays (quite a lot of horror movies have the whole "something jumps out from the side of the screen" thing).

There have been far worse comic book movies out there (*cough* Batman & Robin *cough*), and this was one of the more decent ones. It's not the best X-Men film, but it turned out better what X-Men Origins: Magneto would have been.

I am not saying that the plot or story has to emotionally and mentally move mountains, it is a comic book movie afterall, and I understand that - i'm not looking to have my core beliefs shaken... i want to be taken on a fun ride, but also have my mind mentally stimulated as well, if only for a little bit... some films going in to, like a Michael Bay movie, you know what you are going to get, so you set your mind accordingly... but i expected more for Wolverine, a lot more... - but the story to Wolverine was about as sterile and devoid of any creativity - at least from the level I've come to expect - especially from CGI... you mention Scorpion King 2, fine example - i'll do you one better, Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus had some horrible effects as well... but again, it's the level of expectation - for as rushed as X3 was, it still had some very nice effects - how could they drop the ball so bad and so often on Wolverine?.. terrible CGI bullet ricochets, terrible claw effects - not to mention the horrid CGI done of Patrick Stewart at the end - completely terrible from what I come to expect from a major Hollywood release - almost as disappointing if not worse than DAD's... once again, you could smell the rush job all over this - the studio should've taken time and made sure a good enough script was in place before moving into production... but studios nowadays don't give a **** about quality, it's all about $$$ - and they knew, regardless of how lazy of an effort they put out there, there is a built in audience they can milk for cash...

the cliches were soaked in thick throughout the entire film - for example - not only do we get the overused "walk away from an explosion in slow motion shot".. but we also get the "scream in sadness as the camera looking down pulls up into the sky".... both scenes could've been executed better, in a more creative manner... but i guess thats to be expected when your scraping the bottom of the barrel for directors.

XMO: Wolverine I wouldn't classify as the worst comic book movie ever made, but it's right there in the bottom echelon.

• rumour is Matthew Vaughan wants to set it to the backdrop of the JFK assassination, with Magneto controlling 'The Magic Bullet'... which conspiracy theorists claim came from the grassy knoll, or elsewhere. thats what I found interesting about First Class, the fact it mixed fantasy with historical events, such as the Cuban Missile crisis, and Nazi experiments. Could make for an interesting plot, they should stick with it being a bit darker though... First Class was a bit... 'fluffy' in places!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited February 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Samuel001 wrote:
    First Class is the first of a planned trilogy. Are there any comics that have that title as the first of a trilogy or series? That may give us some idea of what it'll be called.

It may be set in the '70's, with the last in the '80's. That's an idea that's being floated around.

Well, First Class is the title of a series, but it had no sequel (as I think it's still going).

• edited February 2012 Posts: 4,622
    If X-Men First Class seemed a lot like an early 60's Bond film, in tone, look and style, that was not by accident.
    Do check out the excellent extras package that come with the blu-ray. Both director Matthew Vaughn and Producer Simon Kinberg expand at length on their efforts to capture the look and feel of the early Bonds, from Ken Adam's set design, utilizing big sweeping ceilings and space, to Fassbender's Eric being patterned on the look and style of Sean Connery. Vaughn, who says he came very close to directing a Bond film himself, says he was inspired by the early Bonds success in representing the period not only in look and style but with "a muscular and action oriented" approach as well.
    Vaughn wanted the Connery style for the young Erik's suits and the young Connery's "bad-ass, charming and ruthless" take on Bond in Fassbender's take on the young Eric.
    No wonder Fassbender's Erik/Magneto drew instant comparisons to Bond.
    Vaughn also asked that the titles be done with Binder's opening DN sequence in mind. The similarity is striking.
    When discussing the Bond influences we get several shots of Connery in both DN and GF as well as Adam set designs from both those two movies and TB.
    A good home double bill would be to follow X-Men: First Class with DN, as the latter heavily influenced the former and both are set in 1962. First Class and GF would work as well or First Class and TB. FRWL clips weren't shown, probably because the film lacked the Ken Adam set design.
    The producers said they would like to grow the First Class series through the 60's and 70's and continue to tie their stories in with world events, like they did with the Cuban Missle crisis, so the JFK assassination the following year (1963) would tie in nicely as the second installment of a trilogy. The title could simply be X-Men First Class:__________________ (fill in the blank) as First Class refers to Prof X's First Class of X-Men in the film continuity.
    Hopefully more Fassbender as Connery/Bond (if he's not wearing his Magneto cape outfit) and more Bond inspired look and style in the next couple of films.
    X-Men First Class is probably my favourite film of 2011.
    It gets an honorary Bond-film status.
    I won't get bored watching this blu-ray a few more times - and maybe with early Bond classics off the back of it to complete the double bill. The Bond films of course would have to be the main feature of the double bill.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    shirlz00 wrote:
    rumour is Matthew Vaughan wants to set it to the backdrop of the JFK assassination, with Magneto controlling 'The Magic Bullet'... which conspiracy theorists claim came from the grassy knoll, or elsewhere. thats what I found interesting about First Class, the fact it mixed fantasy with historical events, such as the Cuban Missile crisis, and Nazi experiments. Could make for an interesting plot, they should stick with it being a bit darker though... First Class was a bit... 'fluffy' in places!

Agreed. However, those fluffy moments worked quite well IMO. Then again, I'm both an X-Men fan and a fan of Vaughn's work. That said, I wouldn't mind a darker film. Not too dark though - or dark in a ... uhm ... creepy / *acid* way. I saw Ghost Rider 3D yesterday. Oh my.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I personally CAN'T WAIT for Days Of Future Past!!! I'm really excited- like, Avengers level excited!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'm looking forward to it as well, should be very good.

After Days of Future Past, they'll do another to complete the trilogy, then what? Another Wolverine, the ten-years-in-the-making Deadpool?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm looking forward to it as well, should be very good.

After Days of Future Past, they'll do another to complete the trilogy, then what? Another Wolverine, the ten-years-in-the-making Deadpool?

It's a rumor, but I heard they offered Jackman $100 million to return in the future to play a leading role (not a cameo) as Wolverine in four more films.
    Really? That's quite the deal, if true. That would probably mean they are the last films with him in then. I take it he wants to leave in his mid-fifties, seems about the right age for action stars to me.
    I know it's hard on him, with the diet he goes through and how much he works out, but $100 million is a lot of money. Plus, he should leave at a time that's appropriate, not when he's getting much older and people start realizing that Wolverine doesn't age, yet the actor playing him does, and it takes them out of the experience.

I also heard (unrelated) that it's rumored that Christian Bale was offered $60 million to appear as Batman again in the 'Batman vs. Superman' film.
    As Bale has said he would only do Nolan's trilogy, I can't see him returning even if he was offered that deal and I doubt he was. I've heard that come from some book.

Let's see how many more Jackman will do, at least another couple I would like to think.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Anyone here read the comic book arc Days Of Future Past? It was my favourite X-Men story ever. Of course, that's going back some, to 1980...
    @Samuel001, as would I. He's said that he enjoys playing the character a lot and will continue to do so as long as they want him back, so I would be surprised if he didn't take the deal.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Anyone here read the comic book arc Days Of Future Past? It was my favourite X-Men story ever. Of course, that's going back some, to 1980...

I'm ashamed to say, all my knowledge comes from Wikipedia.
    @Samuel001 They printed two trades collecting the best of the classic stories; Days Of Future Past & The Dark Phoenix Saga. Both are reasonably priced & awesome.
    I'll look into it. Thanks.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2013 Posts: 4,416
    Wolverine 3 Confirmd

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/29538/-the-wolverine-gets-a-direct-sequel
    By Garth Franklin Tuesday November 5th 2013 08:46AM
    "The Wolverine" Gets A Direct Sequel

20th Century Fox has begun negotiations with director James Mangold for another solo-Wolverine installment following this year's "The Wolverine".

Reviews for "The Wolverine" were a soft positive, better than "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" but not up there with the franchise's most acclaimed entries "X2" and "X-Men: First Class". It also earned a solid, but fairly quiet $132 million at the domestic box-office.

Strong international box-office however has resulted in "The Wolverine" becoming the second highest grossing "X-Men" film of all time with a total haul of $413 million worldwide.

Mangold is currently making a deal to write a treatment for the film, while Lauren Shuler Donner is already onboard to produce. The storyline is being kept under tight wraps for now, but Hugh Jackman is also expected to reprise the role.

Source: Deadline

The third Wolverine movie wil possible not earlier released then 2016 or 2017. Because next year we get X-men 4 aka X-men First Class 2 and in 2016 X-men Force, this last one mabey can be delayd til 2017 and that Wolverine 3 be released in 2016.
    I, erm, "acquired" a copy of 'The Wolverine' last night. Pretty good quality, might end up watching it tonight. It looks really good. Going to watch 'Hellraiser 3' first, though.
    I didn't find much discussion about The Wolverine here (or peharps I didn't do my search too well) so I'll be happy to review it with you @Creasy47, and anyone else that wants to join in.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Once I get a copy, I'll give The Wolverine a watch. I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed X-Men Origins Wolverine, and I hear this one is far better, so I'll probably enjoy it as well.

Days of Future Past looks awesome, though. I can't wait to see the older generation mingling with the newer one, because I love both takes on Xavier and Magneto, and I especially love how they've now come full circle, with formerly being friends, then becoming enemies, then working together to fight the Sentinels in the future. I'm just more than a little concerned what potential plot holes this is going to open or close.

I do, however, think that I'm going to enjoy Captain America: The Winter Soldier more, however, because I have an unhealthy obsession with Helicarriers.
    @0013, sounds good to me, though I'm not much of a comic book person, so my discussion won't spread past the film itself.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0013, sounds good to me, though I'm not much of a comic book person, so my discussion won't spread past the film itself.

Oh me neither. I haven't read a comic book in my life. Well, actually I did: Astérix. But nothing by Marvel or DC.
    @0013, good, then we'll both be on the same page!
    Or lack thereof. :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Or lack thereof. :))

Haha, true, true.

On topic, I am looking forward to 'Days of Future Past.' I look forward to seeing another trailer for it.
    Days of Future Past is by far my most anticipated film for next year. The cast is undoubtedly the finest ever for a comic book film. Although I'm sure the "future" cast is only in it a little bit, I'm still so excited. With Singer back directing, I have complete and utter faith
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm currently reading the original X-Men comics to prepare for DOFP. I completed the old Lee / Kirby (and others) comics all the way to the Giant-Sized X-Men edition that paved the way for Clairmont's work. I'm currently at #120, getting ready for the Phoenix saga. DOFP is approaching. I have it proudly sitting on my Marvel shelf. ;-)

I am so looking forward to this film. The after-credits sequence in Wolverine got me excited; the recently released trailer even more. And with many beloved cast members returning, I doubt this project will disappoint on that element alone.

@DarthDimi, I do hope that the version of 'The Wolverine' I currently have contains the after-credits sequence. If not, I'm sure it's on Youtube somewhere.
    I can't see why it wouldn't, but yeah, it's probably on YouTube still (it was when the movie was in theaters, that's how I saw the post-credits scene).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The way cyclops has been handled for the movies pains me. James Marsden is a good actor and the character was just butchered and treated like crap to the point of rendering him irrelevant. Anyway, The Wolverine is very good, far superior to origins and DoFp looks fantastic.