X-Men (2000 - 20)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Cool. But will it contain references to the previous movies or?

I know that James McAvoy won't be in it after all.

Seems to be a totally separate film from the other X-Men films. Similar to Logan I would imagine (that one also had very limited references to the previous films).
    Well, it's about time !
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    New Mutants does not know whether its a horror or a super hero film. This is a wait till its on Netflix for me
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    New poster:

jbi3pvx90zc41.jpg
    Very Pirates of the Carribean.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Another fantastic poster for New Mutants:

EP65-D4-LU4-AAr-Zoa.jpg
    The New Mutants officially receives a PG-13 rating. The film's runtime is also confirmed: 1 hour & 39 minutes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Apologies for bumping this but I went through the series over the last week in chronological order for the first time, revisiting certain installments I hadn't seen in ages and watching a couple for the very first time, and I forgot just how much fun these films are. The timelines are jarringly broken after a short while but the experiences are such a blast and wrapping it all up with Logan (easily in my Top 3 all-time superhero films) was so incredible.

I'm eager to see what the future holds for these characters.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I Heard That For The Upcoming MCU X-MEN Film They Were Gonna Change The Name To The Mutants So It Would Be More Diverse, I Honestly Find That Really Stupid, But I Prefer To Keep My Mouth Shut So Nobody Gets Offended.
    Considering how both the X-Men and the Daleks started, I guess turnaround is fair play.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I Heard That For The Upcoming MCU X-MEN Film They Were Gonna Change The Name To The Mutants So It Would Be More Diverse, I Honestly Find That Really Stupid, But I Prefer To Keep My Mouth Shut So Nobody Gets Offended.

And this means what exactly?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I'm offended by the capitalisation of every word in that long sentence.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 987
    Oh! I, Uh, Um, Uhhhhhhhmmmm...
    *Runs Away*
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping this but I went through the series over the last week in chronological order for the first time, revisiting certain installments I hadn't seen in ages and watching a couple for the very first time, and I forgot just how much fun these films are. The timelines are jarringly broken after a short while but the experiences are such a blast and wrapping it all up with Logan (easily in my Top 3 all-time superhero films) was so incredible.

I actually just revisited the original trilogy not all that long ago. My takeaway was that X2 is still way legit, The Last Stand is actually a bit better than I once gave it credit for, and the original has not been treated kindly by time with its dated effects, cheesy dialogue, and villains still trapped in the mold of what superhero movies used to be.

My favorite X-Men film remains Days of Future Past. I'm curious, @Creasy47, as far as chronological order goes, did you place it between First Class and Apocalypse in the 70s or just before Logan at some point in the future?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I actually just revisited the original trilogy not all that long ago. My takeaway was that X2 is still way legit, The Last Stand is actually a bit better than I once gave it credit for, and the original has not been treated kindly by time with its dated effects, cheesy dialogue, and villains still trapped in the mold of what superhero movies used to be.

My favorite X-Men film remains Days of Future Past. I'm curious, @Creasy47, as far as chronological order goes, did you place it between First Class and Apocalypse in the 70s or just before Logan at some point in the future?

I'm in agreement with a lot of that. X2 still felt really fantastic to me after all these years; the opening White House attack is still one of my favorite sequences in the entire franchise.

And yes, that was pretty tricky, but since it covers the past in some detail, I put it between First Class and Apocalypse (though it technically went in between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Apocalypse because the former takes place in 1979, I believe it was, whereas the latter is in the early '80s or so).
    I've honestly given up trying to work out of the chronology or logic of X-Men's timelines... Personally, I think it's best. I'm fine with completely ignoring X-Men Origins Wolverine.

The first two X-Men films were great. Both beat a lot of superhero films made today I think. I'm also rather fond of Days of Future Past, but for me Logan is the best film of the series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    007HallY wrote: »

The first two X-Men films were great.

I agree. I rewatched those two earlier this year. Will have to rewatch the rest of the films at some point, too.
  • I think Logan would’ve been the perfect note to end the series on, rather than New Mutants (a film which I still haven’t seen BTW)
    I'm in agreement with a lot of that. X2 still felt really fantastic to me after all these years; the opening White House attack is still one of my favorite sequences in the entire franchise.

The White House attack was a fantastic opening, especially with that Wagnerian score.
    And yes, that was pretty tricky, but since it covers the past in some detail, I put it between First Class and Apocalypse (though it technically went in between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Apocalypse because the former takes place in 1979, I believe it was, whereas the latter is in the early '80s or so).

Ah yes, I had forgotten about X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Now I have to forget it again. ;)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2022 Posts: 6,718

Must You Be That Fussy? ;)

The White House attack was a fantastic opening, especially with that Wagnerian score.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Now I have to forget it again. ;)

Absolutely! That's the smartest course of action right there.
    I watched Apocalypse over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot more than I did previously.
    I watched Apocalypse over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot more than I did previously.

I had the exact same experience when I just rewatched it, I remember it getting a ton of flak and complaints upon release but I was either misremembering or misattributing that to another installment, because I had a lot of fun with it and thought Oscar Isaac was fantastic in the role.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 8,028

I had the exact same experience when I just rewatched it, I remember it getting a ton of flak and complaints upon release but I was either misremembering or misattributing that to another installment, because I had a lot of fun with it and thought Oscar Isaac was fantastic in the role.

Absolutely. A big, glorious epic adventure. And I found Ottman's score to be his best for the franchise, even besting his work for X2.

Regarding the timelines/viewing orders, I'd personally go:

First Class
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    The Last Stand
    The Wolverine
    Days Of Future Past
    Apocalypse
    Logan

I'd skip Origins and Dark Phoenix, maybe.

I've always been a fan of Apocalypse myself. Never understood the negative reception it got. People mostly seemed to complain about Oscar Isaac being buried in makeup, but whatever, it's got great action, great effects, a compelling story. Nothing much to complain about really.
    Regarding the timelines/viewing orders, I'd personally go:

First Class
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    The Last Stand
    The Wolverine
    Days Of Future Past
    Apocalypse
    Logan

I'd skip Origins and Dark Phoenix, maybe.

I'd leave out Origins and Dark Phoenix myself. I was not at all a fan of Dark Phoenix, and if you're going to watch it all as one timeline you kind of have to pick either The Last Stand or Dark Phoenix since they're the same story.

Controversially, I'd leave Logan out of my viewing too. I actually watched Logan again recently—the black and white version this time—and enjoyed it way more than I did the first time. But it's a pretty big downer of an ending. I'd prefer ending on the more optimistic note of Days of Future Past with Scott and Jean's deaths being reversed.

For my own timeline, I think I'd go:

First Class
    Apocalypse
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    The Last Stand
    The Wolverine
    Days Of Future Past

It'd be great to get Logan in there still. Maybe I could watch the B&W version in between The Last Stand and The Wolverine and consider it a premonition of Logan's. Doesn't The Wolverine begin with him waking up after the WWII flashback or a dream of Jean anyways?
    edited September 2022 Posts: 8,028
    I find Logan too good of a film to leave out, even with its bleaker tone. I'd argue the ending is somewhat hopeful, with the mutants finding a new home following Logan's sacrifice. The bloody nature of its violence feels like a perfect cap to the series, too; mutant power mayhem fully unleashed as one last hurrah and then the story dissipates into the sunset. But I can understand why others might not feel that way.
  • It sure is an achievement. Ultimately, I wouldn't want to leave it out either. Probably the best performances by Jackman and Stewart as their characters too.
    Great timeline possibilities there, everyone. And yes, I think Dark Phoenix was one of two or three I had yet to see, and I really didn't care for it. The train finale was nothing short of incredible, though, but so far into the new timeline (at the time) and we're going with Jean's "proper" origin story? No thanks.

Thankfully, none of the series gets as horrible as The New Mutants is. That was another I hadn't seen yet and it was a jumbled, dull mess.

And yes, no way I could leave Logan out. I was excited to see if it was as good as I remembered it being around release and it was somehow even better, way more impactful and weighty, exciting and emotional.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 40,459
    Hugh Jackman will return as Wolverine in Deadpool 3, coming September 6th, 2024:

https://deadline.com/2022/09/deadpool-3-hugh-jackman-wolverine-ryan-reynolds-release-date-1235128666/