Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    My local cineworld will be showing "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" on the 17th November. Will definitely try and get a ticket.
    Sorry to temporarily derail the thread, but it is for general chat, right?

Look what this numbnuts posted on FB for everyone to see:
    "The closest thing to a terrorist that most Americans will ever face is a cop."

This was posted by a 'friend' believe it or not! I try to keep a sense of humor about things, so I simply replied with this GIF:

bridesmaids.gif

;)

But still, that was in the back of my mind all day at work. You're all smart people-- you understand that the police aren't evil, right?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Some are, but the institution itself is needed and consists mostly of good, well meaning men and women. Buy yourself a donut and think no more of it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Okay, I'll try to respond thoughtfully, @Master_Dahark.
    Most police, I believe, try to do what is right and are mostly good and well meaning. Like every profession or every group of people, some are mediocre, some are bad and some (I still think a few) are rotten, corrupt, which then also lends to a kind of evil.

In general, I have very positive feelings about the police. They serve a necessary and important function in society. I think many truly want to help people, protect people, and serve justice. In certain areas, at certain times, there may be a bad rotten group within the police system (whether big city or rural) that grows - but it has to be stamped out and the administration is well aware of that. I am sure the institution itself is continually policing its own. Human nature - the good, the loyal, the brave, the fair-minded, the bad, the indifferent, the blind followers, the prejudiced, the corrupt and the evil - is throughout every layer of society, including our organizations designed to protect our citizens. It is not a perfect organization by any means and history has shown some abuse at times, yes, as well as just poor communication with the communities they serve. But overall, I have a good respect and appreciation for the various police organizations in my country.

Your "friend" posting that is just ... sad. Perhaps he or she meant it as sarcasm? One can hope. When I read something like that and I think, yeah well get on that bandwagon and jump overboard, too.  I hate for comments like that to proliferate and generate a life all its own. It sounds like someone who comments frequently on Yahoo or CNN may say - habitually injecting vitriol, wanting to stir people up or at least get a reaction out of folks.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Got some new movie poster signs for my room. And a nice decorative Feature presentation sign I attached to this basket kiosk I use to put my movies in.
    10629761_717185944986026_7751570938895693609_n.jpg?oh=c3919cd467a82e69eb8a12b4f878b888&oe=545D3782
    10628242_717185868319367_8321341687513077387_n.jpg
    9300_717185961652691_3207567484376548671_n.jpg?oh=9ce1d5128eb9e6eac784a777aeb0a9be&oe=54624D0F&__gda__=1417312214_76d51f5ee8da7982b229e0dbabda9186
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Loving the vibes from that 'feature presentation' sign, Murdock. Neat placement.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I posted pictures of M's office in the M's Office thread
    edited August 2014 Posts: 16,333
    QBranch wrote: »
    Loving the vibes from that 'feature presentation' sign, Murdock. Neat placement.

Thanks QB, I used my prop making knowledge on how to put it on that Kiosk. Put Zip ties through the nail holes and tie it on. :p
    Murdock wrote: »
    Put Zip ties through the nail holes and tie it on.
    My friend, your improvisational skills never fail to amaze me. I would've opted for blu-tack or sticky tape- and lots of it.
    Put Zip ties through the nail holes and tie it on.
    My friend, your improvisational skills never fail to amaze me. I would've opted for blu-tack or sticky tape- and lots of it.

That arrangement wouldn't have worked on this kiosk. Basically my mom's job was throwing it out and I wanted it so we picked it. I cleaned it up and put my movies in it. Since my shelf beside it is completely full. Since I'm a big movie buff, I couldn't resist giving it a video store quality. My room is a mix of movie memorabilia and props. :D
    That arrangement wouldn't have worked on this kiosk.
    Are you sure? Sometimes the old ways are best. :-B
    Since I'm a big movie buff, I couldn't resist giving it a video store quality. My room is a mix of movie memorabilia and props. :D
    Yeah, the video store look is cool. I wish I could post pics of my TWINE standee I got from the video store, but it's interstate at my parents house somewhere. I searched for it last time I was there, but no luck. The search was not enough...
    That arrangement wouldn't have worked on this kiosk.
    Are you sure? Sometimes the old ways are best. :-B
    Since I'm a big movie buff, I couldn't resist giving it a video store quality. My room is a mix of movie memorabilia and props. :D
    Yeah, the video store look is cool. I wish I could post pics of my TWINE standee I got from the video store, but it's interstate at my parents house somewhere. I searched for it last time I was there, but no luck. The search was not enough...

For metal on metal, zip ties make the best adhesive. My shrink ray prop is completely held together by them.
    For metal on metal, zip ties make the best adhesive. My shrink ray prop is completely held together by them.
    That reminds me of one of my old pushbikes. The front forks snapped near the axle, so I zip tied the axle to the fork... The funny thing is, someone attempted to steal that pushbike, and not surprisingly, they only got 50 metres before the zip tie snapped and the front wheel fell off. The handlebars were heavily scratched, suggesting they stacked it good and proper. I wish I was there to witness it- bloody hilarious. =D>
  • Words fail as to what an utterly appalling miscarriage of justice this is and one of the reasons why I am opposed to the death penalty:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29039964
  • They look great @Murdock recently started collecting steel plaques myself. DC comic plaques at present.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2014 Posts: 15,692
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry about this video. But I was disturbed while watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnM6byxgPPo

Don't be scared of the name of the video, it's actually a serious explaining of what the subject intails.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just picked up a Vizio 48" HDTV last night, and the quality is beautiful. The bordering on it is small so it makes it look even bigger. The entirety of it is stunning. I cannot wait to pick up some new games this fall and get it home during Christmas Break to watch some of my favorite blu-rays on such a large screen. Going from an already impressive 32" TV to an increased 16" has me very interested.
  • @Creasy47. Nothing wrong with an additional 16". ;-) :-bd
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Just when you think it can't get any worse than Kevin Bacon and those bloody annoying EE adverts, I give you Harvey Keitel selling off the last ounce of self respect he once had:

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29168971

F****** scum. I hope the culprit is locked up in prison, with a cellmate riddled with every known disease, whom buggers him. A slow agonising death sounds about right.
  • Yeah I heard about that. The nasty little bellend deserves everything that's coming to him.

You'd have to be a right evil twat to do something like this, murdering a bunch of innocent, defenseless animals. If he isn't sent down for this then there is something seriously wrong with the world.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Welcome to today's society, some people just don't give a shit. At least there are still some good people out there:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29182471

=D>
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I cannot think about animal abuse, it bothers me too strongly. I'm glad so many are rallying to help the animals shelter, but I can't read any more articles about it. It stays with me all day, things like that.

Today, I just thought I'd share this because it is my home country. And yet it made me laugh. And then think ... is there anything wrong with this picture? (so to speak). It is in Utah, not Texas as many may first guess - a teacher accidentally wounds self with her own gun while at work at her elementary/primary school ... in the toilet cubicle, no less.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29168777
    Horrible news now coming in about another beheading by those filthy evil terrorists.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29195872
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    NOT trying to be making light of it, but DON'T go to the middle east unless you're armed to the teeth with backup..,
  • Best. Resignation. Ever.

=))
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    That's quittin in style!
    Shocking, positively shocking!
    Well, she obviously didn't care. But I don't like her using a profanity to do it.
    Quitting on air was okay, but it felt like a stunt to me. Probably felt good to her.
    If she hadn't used the f word, I would have felt more compassionately toward her. Everybody needs to move on at times.
    Well, she obviously didn't care. But I don't like her using a profanity to do it.
    Quitting on air was okay, but it felt like a stunt to me. Probably felt good to her.
    If she hadn't used the f word, I would have felt more compassionately toward her. Everybody needs to move on at times.

I was more troubled about what she said before the f-bomb!