Chat Thread - Free Discussion

1165166167168169171»

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just have to get back to pushing my favourite maniacs, the Braun twin brothers of Hamburg, who are the guys behind Miniatur Wunderland. (And after all, Monte Carlo is a Bond location.)

Tonight they officially opened their Monaco section...which had basically been sitting there for years, though cordoned off...because the technical mastermind of the two, Gerrit, was adamant that he first perfectionize his 1/87 scale version of the Monte Carlo Grand Prix. It took him and his team eight years until it was satisfactory for him. The total cost for the Monaco section alone consequently ran up to five million euros.

Tonight Monaco's ruling Prince Albert and his wife Princess Charlene, along with their two daughters, actually attended the opening in person. The (much more extensive, but not quite as sophisticated technically) Italy section from a few years ago had to settle for the Italian ambassador to Germany. The new section, by the way, also includes a miniature re-enactment of the 1956 wedding of the Prince's parents, Rainier III and the former Grace Kelly. They kept that scene in black-and-white because everyone only knew it in black-and-white.

See for yourself how the effort turned out. The following video is even in English for a change. Anyway, time for me to get my next year ticket for Wunderland.