Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Indeed we are @4EverBonded :)

I'm going to read
    The Sign of Four
    next based on the latest casting addition. Had to use spoilers for the title because I think it is very obvious who is the new character based on the book. It's another one of my favourites so I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

Watched The Hounds of Baskerville this afternoon. Although it's a bit different from the other episodes I enjoy it so much! Sherlock out of control, Watson as well, the fear is so tangible. I love the scene of Sherlock and Watson, an acting pièce de résistance.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Aha! I didn't know about the upcoming one. I like 95% of all Holmes stories (original books, I'm mean).

I enjoyed Hounds - mainly for what you mentioned, seeing the palpable fear, Holmes rather out of control. It was quite different from the original in atmosphere and plot, so it was fun and interesting for me. Out of the 2nd season, I enjoy A Scandal in Belgravia (especially the entire finale!) and The Reichenbach Fall the most. I like them even better than the first season.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love this scene, a top 10 favorite for sure:

I love how Sherlock is so surprised when John just tries to shrug his compliment off and runs after him shouting more compliments to stop him from being angry at him. These two are so great together onscreen! :))
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Aren't they filming Doctor Who right now too? Didn't think they'd do it at the same time but then I suppose Moffat doesn't need to be on both shows 24/7.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I know this isn't Sherlock related, but I think I can be free to assume that we all love Martin. I saw this and knew I had to post it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=oxmXnucXlMQ

It was written, shot and edited in only 48 hours! Talk about an accomplishment.
    I know this isn't Sherlock related, but I think I can be free to assume that we all love Martin. I saw this and knew I had to post it:

Got me stuck for a half hour with clips of Freeman and Cumberbatch....

Brilliant! Thanks for the link @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    boldfinger wrote:

Got me stuck for a half hour with clips of Freeman and Cumberbatch....
    Haha, that happens to me constantly. I watch one Sherlock tribute and then I spot the "Best Moments of Sherlock series 1" videos and after I watch them all I think to myself, "well, you know you have to watch the best moments of series 2 now as well", and so I watch those, and so on and so on until it is 3 a.m. when I should be getting some shut eye. To put it quite simply, my Sherlock love knows no bounds. :))
    Just finished watching The Reichenback Fall again, first time in Bluray, HD, all that jazz. How stupid, I can't believe myself! Me and so many other people talking about the strange chalk markings on the pavement... there are no chalk markings! Thank heavens for HD is all I can say.

Well, my theory obviously needs changes but I noticed something that might be a continuity error but I'm not sure they make that sort of error and I don't know what to make of it:
    when Sherlock jumps there is an ear plug or transmitter inside Watson's ear. It's visible when he moves the cell phone to start running. Again, might be a mistake, it could be used for acting. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I think the key to the jump is
    the truck of dirty hospital clothes parked in the bus stop. Not sure how but I'm sure it is.

I noticed that Sherlock knew what was going to happen from the moment he had tea with Moriarty at his flat. He gets more and more scared as he realizes it's really going to happen.
    By the time he goes to St. Barts to talk to Molly he knows what he needs to do to escape. He knows he needs to die and he knows he can trust Molly to help him. He still tries to manipulate Moriarty on the rooftop but when it fails and Jim kills himself he realizes he really needs to move forward with his plan yet he is afraid. He keeps Watson in that position for some reason, the logic would be for him not to see the trick.

After all re-reading The Adventure of the Empty House might have served some purpose.
    In The Reichenbach Fall why does Sherlock still confess lies to Watson on the telephone? This has been bothering me. Jim is dead has has told him Watson, Lestrade and Miss Hudson will die "unless my people see you jump". So why the phone call? There is someone else. Either Jim wasn't the actual Moriarty (but that would not explain his suicide) or there is someone else watching and listening to everything and Sherlock is playing his game (I prefer this one). If he's dead and discredited criminals will get lazy and make mistakes, just like in the book. I think Colonel Moran will be the main foe in the next season. He was watching, he knows how Sherlock excaped, and he's waiting...

I might have gone a bit crazy with the spoiler tags. So, making a long story short, I don't know exactly how Sherlock did it but I might have an idea why he did it and where the story goes next ;)
    edited March 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Great ideas, @Sandy! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the spoiler tags. I think I am just not going to worry about spoilers for this; not this time. I want to have fun guessing. I'm going to watch R. Falls again this week. Personally, I thought
    Sherlock's clothing was key, his falling forward was important - underneath his clothes he is cushioned somehow thanks to Molly - and it was important for John to believe, really believe that he is dead - just like in the book - so Moriarty's henchmen and cohorts think so, too, and can later be trapped and surprised by Holmes. Col. Moran should definitely come into play, and I can't wait to see the actor they hire for that important villain role! As for him talking to John, trying to get him to believe the lies - I think it was necessary for John to believe Sherlock committed suicide, so he would just move on in life and not investigate that further on his own; so the story would move forward the way Sherlock needs it to.
    Thanks for your opinion @4EverBonded. I'm not so sure on the
    cushioned clothes. I think the cushions were the laundry bags which were being transported to the truck.

I wonder if it'll be like the 1st series, and we will only
    meet the villain in the last episode? I'm also terribly curious to know who they'll cast. Speaking of casting choices, I love Amanda Abbington, she's adorable in a very smart and feisty way. I can't wait to know what they'll do with her ;)
    Okay, here I go with ;
    You mean he had laundry bags under his clothes? He clearly didn't fall onto laundry bags ... I don't know what to think of the laundry bags ... Also who is Amanda Abbington? Is that Molly? I lover her character, sorry I don't know offhand who she is ...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    All this discussion and the best news is, the end of the third series is said to leave as talkative as we are now.
    Yes, I really appreciate the wit and boldness of this series. I bet the next finale will be awesome, too!
    Amanda Abbington is said to be playing someone important to John. I'm sure you can guess who. ;)
    Ah! I didn't catch that. I have no idea who Amanda is as an actress; is she known in the UK?
    Not really, not to me anyway, but she is the real life partner of Martin Freeman, so that should help.
    Oh yay! That's nice they are together.

Has you read The Sign of Four? Just curious as to how many of us on here have read it.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    No, I'm not read a single Sherlock Holmes story. Sorry! I just know this series happens to be both a very faithful and great updating to the modern times of the stories - from what reviews and others tell me at least. It's also the best of the three put out there. I only find the new films alright and haven't given much time to Elementary.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,012
    Okay, here I go with ;
    You mean he had laundry bags under his clothes? He clearly didn't fall onto laundry bags ... I don't know what to think of the laundry bags ... Also who is Amanda Abbington? Is that Molly? I lover her character, sorry I don't know offhand who she is ...

I meant
    the laundry bags were being transported to the truck, I think he fell on top of some of them, they were quickly put in the truck with the rest and the truck left revealing his fallen body. It didn't appear to me he was wearing anything under his clothes, it would need to be something very "fluffy" to cushion the fall.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Amanda Abbington is said to be playing someone important to John. I'm sure you can guess who. ;)

Yes, she was cast as someone who
    will make a significant in the lives of both Watson and Sherlock. Some believe she is
    Mary Morsten
    Ah! I didn't catch that. I have no idea who Amanda is as an actress; is she known in the UK?

She's brilliant! Amongst others you can check her in After You've Gone, she plays Jimmy's girlfriend.

She's also Martin Freeman's long-time real-life partner, they have two children.

I accidentally found some footage of Sherlock at youtube, her character looks great!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    No, I'm not read a single Sherlock Holmes story. Sorry! I just know this series happens to be both a very faithful and great updating to the modern times of the stories - from what reviews and others tell me at least. It's also the best of the three put out there. I only find the new films alright and haven't given much time to Elementary.

I haven't seen Elementary; I heard it was not so good.
    I still love the Brett series from the BBC in '80s and '90s but this new one captivated me. It is fresh and I love the main actors. The writing is sharp. It is fun because it does put new twists onto the old stories and lots of wordplay, even just with titles.

It's fun since I have read all the original stories; I can look for or pick up on certain things in this new series. But even without that, for viewers with no previous Holmes experience, the series is great entertainment.
    Thanks, Sandy! Yes
    I thought of Mary Morstan
    when Samuel001 mentioned it would be someone important to John. Who else could it possibly be? Gotta be her.

Thanks for the video!
    Elementary could become oversaturated very quickly. There will be at least 48 episodes by next May (2014). That seems like whipping a horse until it's dead, to me.
    Hmm. I do like the quality, fun, and anticipation that comes with having top notch shows just not so often. I could use more than 3 episodes of Sherlock each season, though. Four would be grand. :)
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Quite a few series in the UK do three 90-minute episodes, it's somewhat of a norm. Having each series so far apart only helps build the excitement further.

As has been said before you don't "watch" Sherlock, you "don't watch" Sherlock. It's return is always massive news, as it should be.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    No, I'm not read a single Sherlock Holmes story. Sorry!

Don't feel bad mate, I haven't either. I do enjoy this series and the new movies though. I should read them at some point.
    You should read them, they are highly entertaining. Be sure to start with A Study in Scarlet ;) it will tell you everything you need to know about those two.
    Yes, Scarlet is a must for a first look at the original stories.
    After that I recommend The Sign of Four.

And then you can go in order or not.
    I've just got to list some of my favorites ...

A Scandal in Bohemia
    The Hound of the Baskervilles
    The Adventure of the Speckled Band (I remember reading it in jr high school)
    The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (I do hope they are filming that one, it's at Christmas)
    Silver Blaze
    The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton
    The Final Problem
    The Empty House (read this immediately after The Final Problem)
    The Illustrious Client
    The Devil's Foot
    His Last Bow (which was the final story)
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,012
    The Hound of the Baskervilles was my first and incidentally the first book I read in English. It didn't leave much of an impression at the time. A short time later my mother gave me A Study in Scarlet and I was caught! What a difference between my mental image of Sherlock and what I was reading in the pages of that book! The first part of the book, with the first meeting between Holmes and Watson, was extremely well portrayed in A Study in Pink.

Allow me to transcribe a delicious excerpt of Watson's annotations on Holmes' knowledge (or lack of):
    "SHERLOCK HOLMES--his limits.
    1. Knowledge of Literature.--Nil.
    2. Philosophy.--Nil.
    3. Astronomy.--Nil.
    4. Politics.--Feeble.
    5. Botany.--Variable. Well up in belladonna,
    opium, and poisons generally.
    Knows nothing of practical gardening.
    6. Geology.--Practical, but limited.
    Tells at a glance different soils
    from each other. After walks has
    shown me splashes upon his trousers,
    and told me by their colour and
    consistence in what part of London
    he had received them.
    7. Chemistry.--Profound.
    8. Anatomy.--Accurate, but unsystematic.
    9. Sensational Literature.--Immense. He appears
    to know every detail of every horror
    perpetrated in the century.
    10. Plays the violin well.
    11. Is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman.
    12. Has a good practical knowledge of British law."
    After which, Watson throws up his hands in despair and mutters about "what good that all does him, I don't know" TOTALLY my paraphrasing here, not quoting. That's what I remember vaguely.

Love that list, I really do; thanks for sharing, @Sandy.

Okay, I had to look it up. Here is Watson's reaction in the original story:

When I had got so far in my list I threw it into the fire in despair. "If I can only find what the fellow is driving at by reconciling all these accomplishments, and discover a calling which needs them all," I said to myself, "I may as well give up the attempt at once."