Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I am more than willing to start it. Nothing would give me greater pleasure. I am not a smoker, but I will bring the Persian slipper if others wish to.

And we can't forget a deerstalker so we can play "death frisbee." ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I humbly accept the proposal @4EverBonded, if @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 can do it with me. No pipe for me either, but slippers firmly in hand. We just have to decide the format and rules, please expect a PM from me later today ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As The Sign Of Three begins filming:

Lovely day for a wedding

BIc3NK6CIAEeZg-.jpg:large
    Oh my God! Thanks for sharing this @Samuel001. I assume from this photo that Sherlock is the best man?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    As nice as these pictures are, I would appreciate some spoiler tags...
    True @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm sorry for my own comment, I was carried away.
    I think we all knew it was on the cards, if it makes you feel any better. From Sue Vertue's twitter account.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I think we all knew it was on the cards, if it makes you feel any better. From Sue Vertue's twitter account.

I know or expect some things to happen, yes, but I don't need it visualized in pictures until the episodes play out in front of me as I watch them for the first time.
    This should be the only one we get, so I doubt it'll happen again. If it does, I'll be certain to use spoiler tags.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thank you all! I am psyched. About the series of course, and about setting up a Holmes book reading club/review thread. Sandy and I are chatting privately about it and will let you all know shortly. :D
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This should be the only one we get, so I doubt it'll happen again. If it does, I'll be certain to use spoiler tags.

You mean they release a picture an episode? So, Sherlock's neck for Hearse and the wedding card for this Sign of Three?
    Samuel001 wrote:

You mean they release a picture an episode? So, Sherlock's neck for Hearse and the wedding card for this Sign of Three?

It fits the pattern, I think Sam might be right. They gave us one word per episode, now they give us one photo as well.
    What's next? A photo of a giant rat from Sumatra? ;)
    I wasn't referring to that but it does seem to be the pattern. The final episode won't begin production until August so no need to worry about anymore for a while.
    Thank you all! I am psyched. About the series of course, and about setting up a Holmes book reading club/review thread. Sandy and I are chatting privately about it and will let you all know shortly. :D

Indeed we have, along with Brady. Details will be known very soon.

I was wondering who else is interested in joining us in this venture?
  • Count me in Sandy. It sounds a great idea.
    Great @Jones_The_BondJones_The_Bond :-bd

Who else is brave enough, bold enough to tackle this task?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As The Sign Of Three begins filming:

Lovely day for a wedding

BIc3NK6CIAEeZg-.jpg:large

These episodes cannot come soon enough! \m/
    edited April 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Attention all Sherlockian Comrades ~ sherlock1.gif
    The game is afoot! We are announcing our new thread, dedicated to reading and reviewing ALL the Holmes novels and stories. If you'd like to be part of the Baker Street Bibliophiles who review the stories (so far 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 , Sandy, and 4EverBonded) then please read the details about how to join us on the new thread (in the General Discussion category, since there is no general literature category), entitled "A Study in Sherlock".

All members here on MI6 are encouraged to give their comments, impressions, and reviews - but only the committed corp group (who are doing all the Holmes novels and stories - which are more than 50) will count for the overall ratings/score. So you do not have to be part of the corp group to participate and enjoy this as we go along. :) Set up is similar to the Originals thread regarding Bond films.

We will be doing reviews of some of our favorite Sherlock Holmes stories first, then going to a random number system for the rest. We will be reviewing by categories such as: Holmes, Watson, Villain, Atmosphere, Cleverness, etc.- sort of set up similar to the way the films are reviewed on the Originals thread ( they are doing all the Bond films).

Again, we hope many members comment, participate, do some reviews - and hopefully find plenty to enjoy in this new ongoing Sherlock Holmes literary thread.

Cheers! Off to catch a hansom cab in the fog now ...

@4EverBonded, @Sandy, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Baker Street Bibliophiles (BSB)
    I found this amazing article about how Benedict Cumberbatch learned the violin to play Sherlock. It's a nice read and spoiler free.
    Good, can you post the link? Thanks!
    Oops, I was so excited I forgot about it. Here it is:
    http://earthobservingsystem.tumblr.com/post/15188532235/sherlock-on-the-fiddle
    OK, I read it and that was VERY interesting and rather good writing. So I am trying to check out her blog. Can't find much info on her, but will keep reading a bit. Sounds like a not-so-boring life/career for a female violinist. ;) Just being part of the London Olympics ceremony is fantastic, let alone being Benedict's violin coach and playing the violin music for the series. Not bad at all!
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sandy wrote:
    Oops, I was so excited I forgot about it. Here it is:
    http://earthobservingsystem.tumblr.com/post/15188532235/sherlock-on-the-fiddle

Thank you for posting that, @Sandy; it was marvelous. Both Eos and Benedict have amazing dedication.

And boy is she a looker:

eos-chater.jpg
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I wasn't sure which one was her. I (being American and in Japan, probably) have never heard of her classically trained group, Bond. Has anyone out there? Can you give me an opinion of their music? Apparently well known in the U.K.

Er, she does look like James Bond material, doesn't she? Interesting the same name ...
    Here's a clip, which sounds very Bondian:

Geez, that is Bondian. Any other info, anyone? Like who write their music? Have you seen them on telly in the UK? Etc.

I will have to check the internet a bit; I am curious about them now.

OK then, looked them up on the never fully reliable wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_(band) (hope I got the link in correctly).

But still would love to know if anyone out there knows their music or has seen them, etc.?

And yeah, I know this is off topic. Sorry!
    . dbl post by accident I swear!
    I didn't realise she was part of Bond! I know them, they are very, very good.
    Live near Bristol? Want to go see Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat, and Sue Vertue talk about Sherlock on June 1st?

I found an upcoming Sherlock event on the Sherlock Holmes Society of London newsletter, which some of you may enjoy going to if you can get to Bristol. Seeing as Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat, and Sue Vertue will be there it may well be worth checking out! If you click on the crimefest website, it can give you more info.
    I copied the info below:

Filming for Series 3 of Sherlock is well under way, and it’s no secret
    that the first episode bears the inspired title of The Empty Hearse.
    Despite what you may have heard, it’s not absolutely certain that
    there’ll be a fourth series, though I predict a riot if there isn’t.
    On 1 June at 1.40pm,Crimefest: the international crime fiction
    convention, held in Bristol from 30 May to 2 June, will feature
    Creating Sherlock, with panellists Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat and
    Sue Vertue. Tickets are available via the website at
    www.crimefest.com/register.html.

I just double posted because I hit QUOTE, instead of EDIT - I do apologize!