Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Live near Bristol? Want to go see Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat, and Sue Vertue talk about Sherlock on June 1st?

I found an upcoming Sherlock event on the Sherlock Holmes Society of London newsletter, which some of you may enjoy going to if you can get to Bristol. Seeing as Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat, and Sue Vertue will be there it may well be worth checking out! If you click on the crimefest website, it can give you more info.
    I copied the info below:

Filming for Series 3 of Sherlock is well under way, and it’s no secret
    that the first episode bears the inspired title of The Empty Hearse.
    Despite what you may have heard, it’s not absolutely certain that
    there’ll be a fourth series, though I predict a riot if there isn’t.
    On 1 June at 1.40pm, Crimefest: the international crime fiction
    convention, held in Bristol from 30 May to 2 June, will feature
    Creating Sherlock, with panellists Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat and
    Sue Vertue.
    Tickets are available via the website at
    www.crimefest.com/register.html.

I clicked on quote instead of EDIT - I do apologize for the double post!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I ask myself every single day why the hell I am not in London.
    I ask myself every single day why the hell I am not in London.

Oh me, too. If I could get a job in England, believe me, I would be there.
    Well, just found via twitter, a BBCAmerica short article on Benedict's parents, with photos and video. Both are exceedingly handsome people. :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/the-full-dynastic-heritage-of-benedict-cumberbatch/
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Well, just found via twitter, a BBCAmerica short article on Benedict's parents, with photos and video. Both are exceedingly handsome people. :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/the-full-dynastic-heritage-of-benedict-cumberbatch/

Thank you for sharing the article. I knew a little about his parents, actually. Out of curiosity his mother was in a few Carry on... films, my ultimate cinematic guilty pleasure.
    Just posted in other thread about more series of Sherlock peeps! Lara Colver on BBC Breakfast! :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Just posted in other thread about more series of Sherlock peeps! Lara Colver on BBC Breakfast! :D

It's Lara Pulver actually, and why would she know? I hope they don't bring Irene back...

As for his parents, Benedict definitely has his mother's mouth (features wise of course)!
    RogueAgent wrote:

It's Lara Pulver actually, and why would she know? I hope they don't bring Irene back...

As for his parents, Benedict definitely has his mother's mouth (features wise of course)!

Why would she know? Well, I heard she and Benedict, Benedict and she :-\"
    Sandy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

She what? Plucked his violin? She is recently divorced so it could be true, though I don't have any idea what you are talking about as far as relationship rumors. Maybe they will have a baby and name it Hamish?
    Sandy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

She what? Plucked his violin? She is recently divorced so it could be true, though I don't have any idea what you are talking about as far as relationship rumors. Maybe they will have a baby and name it Hamish?

=)) I'm not very good with gossip, I read it somewhere but true or not, only they know.
    Sandy wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

=)) I'm not very good with gossip, I read it somewhere but true or not, only they know.

If they are indeed romancing each other I can only hope that Lara texts him to say "let's have dinner" before they are about to...well, you know.
    Sandy wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

If they are indeed romancing each other I can only hope that Lara texts him to say "let's have dinner" before they are about to...well, you know.

Article I read today in Sun tv mag confirms BC has signed on for a fourth season of Sherlock! :-bd
    BBC3 are repeating season 1 Friday nights at 9pm, starting 17th this month! It is an excelent opportunity for those who haven't watched yet or who want to re-watch this amazing series.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I am very late to this thread, but I just finished both of the first two "seasons" on dvd ("series" I guess is the correct Brit term ;) ) of this excellent show. This is the best Brit TV series since the Avengers, I would say. I cant' believe how great it was. One of best TV shows ever made, I would hasten to add.
    The English accents are pretty heavy at times, but I could follow most of it, so no problem. Cumberbatch especially does require subtitles, especially when he gets talking fast.
    Cumberbatch and Freeman are very good, but what really makes the show IMO, is the vibe, the atmosphere. It's so damn stylish with so many interesting characters. The TV craft on display here is cinema worthy. Extremely well written too.
    Such a hip contemporary take on the iconic character. And the guy that plays Moriarity (Andrew Scott) was superb.
    There is real danger for an actor to overplay such a character. It happens all the time, but Scott nailed it. The character was both frightening and fascinating, and utterly believable.
    Lara Pulver was sizzling hot too. She must come back. I loved her episode, or mini-movie as that's what each episode really is.
    Gatiss as Mycroft is very well played as well.

Spoiler I guess, but does anyone know how Holmes survived his "suicide"? I'm guessing it was something he did in collaboration with Molly, the morgue girl.
    I guess we have to wait till the next season.
    Is Moriarity really dead? Sure looked like it. If he is, it fits. He was so bored with having to deal with ordinary people, that beating Holmes it seems was all that could make his deranged life meaningful, even if he had to kill himself to get it done. Makes sense, if you are him, I guess. Not to us ordinary people though.
    Yeah, we don't have answers yet - and we are using spoiler tags. @-) so please ...

I especially love this series; it is unique and very, very clever. Glad you found this thread. I think Scandal in Belgravia is my favorite, but it's hard to choose. All episodes are so well written and acted.
    Glad you liked it so much @timmer, it is truly fantastic, there is no other word for it. The wonderful thing is that they managed to put so much from the books in each episode it's mind boggling. They transplanted the whole thing to nowadays and still they managed to stay absolutely within canon.

I join @4EverBonded in asking please use spoiler tags when posting theories.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 4,622
    OK, will do re spoiler tags. My bad.
    I guess we will just have to wait. We arent' supposed to know it seems.
    If you look back on this thread there are links to places to go for tidbits, info from thr producers, and spoiler places. They are fun, too. :)
    And I'm not supposed to say this but if you search, you might find some clues online :-\" However, no one knows for sure, even after seeing so much (too much perhaps), I'm not ashamed to say I still don't completely get it.

I wanted to share something very smart I found online the other day:
    watsonsm.png

One of the things that makes Sherlock work so well is that they got Watson so right.
    Hence why I HAAAAAAAAAATE it when Watson is played as a bumbling idiot. I don't care how great Basil is as Holmes if his Watson is despicable. Their friendship and how it is portrayed is the cornerstone of every adaption, and with Sherlock BBC we get the best Holmes/Watson relationship yet. No others even come close.
    Exactly @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 that always drives me crazy! Just because Watson is not as intelligent as Holmes did they have to portray him as dumb? But finally they got it right :)

By the way I forgot to put the source of that brilliant cartoon: http://beatonna.livejournal.com/113738.html
    Sorry to double-post but this just in. Martin Freeman said on the Bafta's red carpet tonight that series 3 will premiere next December or January.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Yaaaaaaaaay! (Where is that gif of "Sherlock is happy?") :-bd
    Yaaaaaaaaay! (Where is that gif of "Sherlock is happy?") :-bd

Sandy to the rescue :D

[img][/img]happy_sherlock_by_holodeck_shepard.gif
    Excellent, dear Watson!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Over Christmas and New Year's may be the plan. If so, that will have been two whole years since the last episode.

As ever, it's great to know the cast will always want to do more, it's just a question of waiting for it to happen and I'm OK with that.
    Atleast we will get some quality tv over the festive period then! \:D/
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    And Doctor Who! :D
    Who?!
    Oh that show ... that I can't watch here. I will have to get some more dvds. Dvds will be big on my Christmas list for sure!
    Filming is complete for now. The last episode will be filmed in August.