Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    As I figured when @Sandy mentioned a mystery woman being casted, it is almost definitely Mary Morstan who has entered into the fray! Does this mean Sherlock has been gone for a while now? I figure so, and that gives John time to build up his relationship with her and leave 221B (as it only brings back memories of Sherlock) to live in an apartment with her. I had no idea Mrs. Freeman was the one they would cast, but that is great and will make for awesome chemistry. Oh, I can't wait for the moment that Sherlock reveals himself to John!!!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    After which, Watson throws up his hands in despair and mutters about "what good that all does him, I don't know" TOTALLY my paraphrasing here, not quoting. That's what I remember vaguely.

Love that list, I really do; thanks for sharing, @Sandy.

Okay, I had to look it up. Here is Watson's reaction in the original story:

When I had got so far in my list I threw it into the fire in despair. "If I can only find what the fellow is driving at by reconciling all these accomplishments, and discover a calling which needs them all," I said to myself, "I may as well give up the attempt at once."

Watson's despair in that first book is hilarious. They picked so many things for the series from there. Like when Watson finds out that Sherlock has no idea what is the solar system, priceless!
    As I figured when @Sandy mentioned a mystery woman being casted, it is almost definitely Mary Morstan who has entered into the fray! Does this mean Sherlock has been gone for a while now? I figure so, and that gives John time to build up his relationship with her and leave 221B (as it only brings back memories of Sherlock) to live in an apartment with her. I had no idea Mrs. Freeman was the one they would cast, but that is great and will make for awesome chemistry. Oh, I can't wait for the moment that Sherlock reveals himself to John!!!

To be honest the name of the character hasn't been officially confirmed but it's what everybody thinks. You do know the keywords for the 3rd season?
    Rat, Wedding, and Bow.

I have a feeling that, if she is indeed Mary, her introduction might be more according to the canon i.e. as a client.

I really can't wait to see Watson's reaction! In the book he faints, it's actually a very funny scene the way it is described.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Unless the wedding is referring to The Noble Bachelor. Surely not. That wasn't one of the most popular or best stories really.

I do love the part where Watson discovers Holmes is alive. I also remember very fondly Brett and Hardwicke's effort for that scene. Cumberbatch and Freeman will have a great and unique twist to it, I'm sure. The reaction needs to be priceless.
    It's funny, I found The Noble Bachelor the other day and I can't remember anything about that story! I'm sure I read it because I remember most of the stories in the same book. I have to read it again, for sure.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm calling it: John is going to punch Sherlock, and might not worry about missing his nose and teeth this time!
    I like Watson fainting. Faint first, wakes up all blurry eyed, focuses and sees Sherlock, and then punches him and knocks him out.

I know whatever they come up with will be cleverer than any idea I have. The wit and sly references in this series are what draw me in the most.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    The second episode will be called The Sign of Three and will be written by Stephen Thompson who also wrote The Blind Banker and The Reichenbach Fall.

Filming continues on the first two episodes until the end of May with the final episode being filmed later in the year.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The second episode will be called The Sign of Three and will be written by Stephen Thompson who also wrote The Blind Banker and The Reichenbach Fall.

Filming continues on the first two episodes until the end of May with the final episode being filmed later in the year.

Thanks for the information @Samuel001. So if I understood correctly they are filming the two episodes now? That is in line with the keyword for the second episode and with Abbington filming (if she is who we think) ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I am surprised they're filming both shows at the same time.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    The majority of The Empty Hearse is in the bag, so they're moving on, no doubt due to the days they've been allocated in London for location filming.
    When I said both shows, I meant Sherlock and Doctor Who. I should've made myself clearer, sorry.
    Well that too but it's the way it's worked out. It's what no one wanted I assume but it's being made the best of.
    The Sign of Three! Well, what will they do with that? I am curious. That is one thing I love about this particular series; so many twists and unexpected gems. I look forward to it and in a way I enjoy not knowing quite what they will do with the story, since I know all of the Holmes stories.
    Does anyone remember The Sign of Four as filmed by the BBC series starring Jeremy Brett? I loved it, very well done, faithful - and then came the boat chase ... and they used authentic old steamer boats on the Thames. And well, for me, it was supposed to be thrilling and fast, a tremendous chase ... and they were putt-putting along; apparently those old small steamer boats are hardly what we consider fast these days. So I'm curious how the grand finale race will be enacted. Anyone remember that or had that impression from that Brett episode? Everything else was top notch (again, for a faithful adaptation of the story).
    The Sign of Three! Well, what will they do with that? I am curious. That is one thing I love about this particular series; so many twists and unexpected gems. I look forward to it and in a way I enjoy not knowing quite what they will do with the story, since I know all of the Holmes stories.
    Does anyone remember The Sign of Four as filmed by the BBC series starring Jeremy Brett? I loved it, very well done, faithful - and then came the boat chase ... and they used authentic old steamer boats on the Thames. And well, for me, it was supposed to be thrilling and fast, a tremendous chase ... and they were putt-putting along; apparently those old small steamer boats are hardly what we consider fast these days. So I'm curious how the grand finale race will be enacted. Anyone remember that or had that impression from that Brett episode? Everything else was top notch (again, for a faithful adaptation of the story).

I'm re-reading
    The Sign of Four during my bus rides. It's always been one of my favourites, so many twists and turns, the romantic side of it, and the funny side of it! I can't wait to see what they've done with it as well.

I agree that it's incredible how faithful they can be and how much they can surprise life-long Sherlockians at the same time. One never knows what to expect ;)
    edited April 2013 Posts: 12,459
    By the way, I own all of the Brett series - but I bought them here in Japan! And they came as an interesting Sherlock "magazine" with articles all in Japanese ... :( ... but with the dvd and some photos from the set. Each episode for about $10 (U.S.). Very happy; I have the whole lot now.

Who wants to bet that the role of
    Mary Morstan is much more active than in previous portrayals? ;)
    By the way, I own all of the Brett series - but I bought them here in Japan! And they came as an interesting Sherlock "magazine" with articles all in Japanese ... :( ... but with the dvd and some photos from the set. Each episode for about $10 (U.S.). Very happy; I have the whole lot now.

Who wants to bet that the role of
    Mary Morstan is much more active than in previous portrayals? ;)

L-) I bet!
    I haven't read A Sign of Four because I am never out of my town and the closest Barnes and Noble or any other bookstore like that is at least 4 or 5 hours away... :(
    Send me a pm and I will ship you my old paperback copy. No problem, 0Brady. Read it - and soon - you must!
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694

Oh, Martin. ;))
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Interesting humor. I don´t quite get why they went to such a level of gay jokes. I always thought the show made it quite clear that there´s nothing going on between Sherlock and Watson, and it´s not as if there hasn´t been flat-sharing among non-gay men before, let alone friendship between men. Hmm, I must be too serious a fella...
    boldfinger wrote:
    Interesting humor. I don´t quite get why they went to such a level of gay jokes. I always thought the show made it quite clear that there´s nothing going on between Sherlock and Watson, and it´s not as if there hasn´t been flat-sharing among non-gay men before, let alone friendship between men. Hmm, I must be too serious a fella...

The fanfare can be pretty crazy, especially for this show. But I agree with your statement; Sherlock and John both love each other, just not in THAT way.

• RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote:
    I don´t quite get why they went to such a level of gay jokes. I always thought the show made it quite clear that there´s nothing going on between Sherlock and Watson, and it´s not as if there hasn´t been flat-sharing among non-gay men before, let alone friendship between men. Hmm, I must be too serious a fella...

Yes, I would say you are. Graham Norton is gay and tends to steer certain things into that territory for comic effect. In the UK it's something one would take with a pinch of salt, just a bit of clowning around. I don't think homosexuals are stereotyped here as much as they are elsewhere though, so while something such as this would appear par for the course in the UK, maybe it is seen as provocative in other countries.
    RC7 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    I don´t quite get why they went to such a level of gay jokes. I always thought the show made it quite clear that there´s nothing going on between Sherlock and Watson, and it´s not as if there hasn´t been flat-sharing among non-gay men before, let alone friendship between men. Hmm, I must be too serious a fella...

Yes, I would say you are. Graham Norton is gay and tends to steer certain things into that territory for comic effect. In the UK it's something one would take with a pinch of salt, just a bit of clowning around. I don't think homosexuals are stereotyped here as much as they are elsewhere though, so while something such as this would appear par for the course in the UK, maybe it is seen as provocative in other countries.
    I wouldn't call it provocative, but I don't get the humor in it either. Well, to each their own ;-).

I now have A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four and The Valley of Fear on my Kindle. I can't wait to finally read them.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 4,012
    I now have A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four and The Valley of Fear on my Kindle. I can't wait to finally read them.

I don't remember reading The Valley of Fear but A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four are truly amongst the créme de la créme of the Sherlock Holmes adventures. As I said previously in this thread, I re-read The Sign of the Four recently and it's amazing no matter how many times I read it! You'll love it, I'm sure @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.

EDIT: just downloaded The Valley of Fear for my Kobo. I think we could form a Holmes reading club in this thread. What do my Sherlockian friends think?
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sandy wrote:

I don't remember reading The Valley of Fear but A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four are truly amongst the créme de la créme of the Sherlock Holmes adventures. As I said previously in this thread, I re-read The Sign of the Four recently and it's amazing no matter how many times I read it! You'll love it, I'm sure @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.

EDIT: just downloaded The Valley of Fear for my Kobo. I think we could form a Holmes reading club in this thread. What do my Sherlockian friends think?

I LOVE that idea. Quite an elementary decision, my dear @Sandy.
    Great ;) I hope more people want to join.
  • A Study In Scarlet is fascinating because it very clearly tells us the sort of things that Holmes does not know anything about. Holmes has very little interest in trivia that cannot aid him in his profession. Although to Holmes, 'trivia' appears to include very elementary astronomy (he doesn't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun). Was watching a recent episode of Elementary (a show I have mixed feelings about) and Sherlock made an educated point about astronomy which disappointed me somewhat. Can't help but think that Moffat's version wouldn't have made that error.

Can't wait for the Third Series. You get the same feeling with 'Sherlock' that you do with the current run of Doctor Who - they are being made by people passionate about the original material, and their loyalty, sprinkled with innovation and daring, produces magnificent results. BBC Wales are producing some extraordinary stuff at the moment. Long may it continue.
    A Study In Scarlet is fascinating because it very clearly tells us the sort of things that Holmes does not know anything about. Holmes has very little interest in trivia that cannot aid him in his profession. Although to Holmes, 'trivia' appears to include very elementary astronomy (he doesn't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun). Was watching a recent episode of Elementary (a show I have mixed feelings about) and Sherlock made an educated point about astronomy which disappointed me somewhat. Can't help but think that Moffat's version wouldn't have made that error.

Can't wait for the Third Series. You get the same feeling with 'Sherlock' that you do with the current run of Doctor Who - they are being made by people passionate about the original material, and their loyalty, sprinkled with innovation and daring, produces magnificent results. BBC Wales are producing some extraordinary stuff at the moment. Long may it continue.
    I´m currently enjoying The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, which give beautiful insights into Holmes´ character and habits, and other people´s perception of Holmes, e.g. when Watson says not to worry, there´s method in his madness, and someone else says there may also be madness in his methods. So I guess I´ll join the club ;-).

I don´t feel like watching Elementary, because I can´t imagine that a weekly series is ever going to produce such gems as the BBC episodes.

Elementary is a great fun and does tie you over from the lack of any new Sherlock episodes.
    They should not be compared they can be easily next to eachother.