Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    The Empty Hearse. Gatiss, you bloody genius!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Just in case I'm following Gatiss on twiter ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Is there any kind of 'end' to the Sherlock novels? With 60 stories could this programme go for 20 series? Would that be the plan, or aim?

As you can tell, I have no idea, so I'm just guessing here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Is there any kind of 'end' to the Sherlock novels? With 60 stories could this programme go for 20 series? Would that be the plan, or aim?

The stories end (technically) with 'The Last Bow' where it is found that Sherlock has retired to beekeeping in the Sussex Downs. I haven't read it (can't find it!!!) but I believe he looks back in retrospective on a case from his point of view.
    So there is some kind of end, then. Good to know, thanks. Well, I'd like to think that's the aim. God knows if they could adapt all 60 stories, though.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    So there is some kind of end, then. Good to know, thanks. Well, I'd like to think that's the aim. God knows if they could adapt all 60 stories, though.

It is endless, to be truthful. You could always say "oh, this case happened in this time in the canon" and just make up a new mystery instead of adapting Doyle. Doyle himself wrote The Hound of the Baskervilles during the time that Sherlock was still "dead" after The Final Problem, and he just said to the public that the former occurred before the events of the latter, so loopholes can be found. But Moffat, Gatiss and co. seem to always take some Conan Doyle for inspiration, so who knows how far or long they will take the series. I am just giddy that we have series 4 confirmed too! To think that we will be getting at least 12 full Sherlock/Watson filled masterpieces to laud over is so exciting! Who knows what lays beyond that, but until then I am like a kid on Christmas morning!
    Samuel001 wrote:

The stories end (technically) with 'The Last Bow' where it is found that Sherlock has retired to beekeeping in the Sussex Downs. I haven't read it (can't find it!!!) but I believe he looks back in retrospective on a case from his point of view.

Wait no longer, Project Gutenberg is your friend @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 :-bd
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2350
    You're welcome!
    Sandy wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Wait no longer, Project Gutenberg is your friend @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 :-bd
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2350
    You're welcome!

Thanks, though I prefer papyrus.
    reading.gif

I hope to one day get all the short stories/novels in one nice collection so that I can say I have read all of Doyle's Holmes material that he his genius was kind enough to produce for us. Nothing better than lounging around in the nice breeze reading Sherlock Holmes.

I would be able to die a happy boy if I ever got to hold an original copy of The Strand newspaper that had the Holmes stories published in them serially.
    Oh Brady, Brady. Do you know what they say where I come from? If you don't have a dog, hunt with a cat. What I mean is don't let that stop you from reading these stories. Have them printed in nice paper, and carefully bound and you'll have your own edition of His Last Bow.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Best. Edition. Ever.

Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Leslie Klinger...

tumblr_mhalcqHAhC1s4ptngo1_1280.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfQAfFMAl_uA5BwrEn4IOJriCsGDy5hcOEHqGJjmixIPFFyDfE
    Sandy wrote:
    Oh Brady, Brady. Do you know what they say where I come from? If you don't have a dog, hunt with a cat. What I mean is don't let that stop you from reading these stories. Have them printed in nice paper, and carefully bound and you'll have your own edition of His Last Bow.
    Yes, I know; I am just being difficult. I think Sherlock would approve. ;)
    ggl007 wrote:
    Best. Edition. Ever.

Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Leslie Klinger...

tumblr_mhalcqHAhC1s4ptngo1_1280.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfQAfFMAl_uA5BwrEn4IOJriCsGDy5hcOEHqGJjmixIPFFyDfE

Excuse me while I bask in the glory of this magnificent wonder!
    holy.gif
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Nice set! I have small paperbacks here in Japan, but I have every Holmes story with me. And not to give anything away, just to say I loved The Law Bow.

I am so frickin' thrilled to see the clapperboard, by the way! I love this series. =D>

Is it called The Empty Hearse?? Where did you see that? That is hilarious, so witty! And it's appropriate ... think about it.
    Nice set! I have small paperbacks here in Japan, but I have every Holmes story with me. And not to give anything away, just to say I loved The Law Bow.

I am so frickin' thrilled to see the clapperboard, by the way! I love this series. =D>

Is it called The Empty Hearse?? Where did you see that? That is hilarious, so witty! And it's appropriate ... think about it.

It's from Mark Gattiss' twiter account. He said, and I quote "Exclusive! Ep 1 will be called 'The Empty Hearse'. The game is on! #Sherlock http://twitpic.com/ccbzh8";
    Yes, now that you made me think about it, very appropriate.
    I can't wait to see how Gatiss has written the moment when Sherlock and John see each other again. I saw John throws a punch! b-(

And he deserves to, as well. I always hurt so badly for John when I see how much he is suffering. Benedict and Martin sell it so well in The Reichenbach Fall. They have the single best Holmes/Watson chemistry ever.
    Superior chemistry, I agree.
    Back with Jeremy Brett for a second, he was close friends with Edward Hardwicke and that came through; I thought they had great chemistry, too.

I will try to check out the twitter for this series. Thanks for all the info, everyone.
    Gatiss twitted something today :> Nothing special but I thought I should share it.

https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/status/315480276736307200
  • RC7RC7
    Out of interest, are any of the non-UK members familiar with Gatiss from his 'The League of Gentlemen' days?
    RC7 wrote:
    Out of interest, are any of the non-UK members familiar with Gatiss from his 'The League of Gentlemen' days?

Me L-)
  • RC7RC7
    Sandy wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Me L-)

What do you think of it?
    Sandy wrote:
    Gatiss twitted something today :> Nothing special but I thought I should share it.

Is the neck picture supposed to be a clue? I think of the hanging body/mannequinn (when Sherlock says so and so didn't actually kill himself). I really don't want to get anything spoiled though, so I will avoid these, hopefully. Thanks for the post, @Sandy
    RC7 wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Me L-)

What do you think of it?

Not my favourite thing in the world, but it was entertaining in a strangely addictive way. The Denton's were funny.
    Sandy wrote:

Is the neck picture supposed to be a clue? I think of the hanging body/mannequinn (when Sherlock says so and so didn't actually kill himself). I really don't want to get anything spoiled though, so I will avoid these, hopefully. Thanks for the post, @Sandy

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a clue, except that I think it's the same shirt he was wearing when he "jumped" so they must have been shooting the explanation, hence the term resurrection ;)
    Thanks so much @Gerard, I still can't believe who I saw and who she's supposed to be :D
    Ahh, even though it´s no news that their filming it´s such a good thing to see them at work again :) .
    Thanks for the pictures. This will be a great treat at the end of the year.
    So, it appears the casting news are true as Gatiss himself retweeted them
    Amanda Abbington (Martin Freemans long time partner) has been cast as apparently Mary Morsten.

BBC One ‏@BBCOne
    *NEWS* Amanda Abbington joins the third series of #Sherlock in a role that significantly impacts upon the lives of John and Sherlock.
    Retweeted by Mark Gatiss

Plus, he tweeted the following yesterday

Mark Gatiss ‏@Markgatiss 18 h
    Hmm. Interesting Fall theory, Alan. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! #Sherlock.

This is concerning the theory posted here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-03-26/alan-davies-jonathan-creek-solved-the-mystery-of-sherlocks-fall

This theory is not that much different from my own so now I'm really curious.
    @Sandy, I really must give my appreciation to you for spoiler tagging. I think I know what this "role" you are referring to is, but I just can't look. I know that Sherlock series 3 will be so much better if it hits me all on its own.

As to the theory regarding
    Sherlock's fall, it bugs the hell out of me that I can't figure it out. The thing that always puzzles me is whether or not Sherlock sees the fall coming. Moriarty constantly refers to him taking a fall, but that was at first in regards to his public persona. But if I do recall correctly, it is Sherlock who picks St. Barts as the location for their meeting, so maybe Sherlock does somehow have it all planned out. I am going to watch the fall for the 1,000th time and get back to this thread with hopefully more relevant data.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I like being spoiled but I know others don't and I respect that a lot. You can be sure I won't be dropping anything remotely spoiler-like in any comment here. In case of doubt I always spoiler-tag.

I'm sure there is a super-simple explanation that we are clearly missing for the Fall. This prolonged weekend I'm finally going to re-watch Reichenbach Fall in all it's glory but I doubt anything will come out of it. On a side note I re-read The Adventure of the Empty House in a silly attempt to be illuminated by it. It's one of my favourites but I couldn't get anything new out of it.
    The Empty House: I re-read it, too! We are Sherlockian twins, @Sandy, you and I. ;)

However, I also failed to get anything worthwhile. But I am curious as to the clever spins and subtle things this series will bring in from the original story. Even if not much from it, a few little nods will be there, I think.