Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Yes! Thank you! And thanks to JamesPage, too. I am buying it. :)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Yes! Thank you! And thanks to JamesPage, too. I am buying it. :)
    You can always count on Sherlockology to give up the goods. What a great Holmes site, run by people who truly love Doyle's fiction and the BBC series with passion. I love to do their monthly jumbled word puzzles.
    When is the third series coming?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    0iker0 wrote:

Next year. August was the plan and even with two month filming delays it's said to still be on track for that time.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    0iker0 wrote:

Next year. August was the plan and even with two month filming delays it's said to still be on track for that time.

Now that Freeman is free from Hobbit duties for a while, i look forward to the 3rd series immensely! \:D/
  • BenBen
    edited December 2012 Posts: 121
    Probably should I posted this earlier but as part of iTunes' 12 Days of Christmas they have released Sherlock - A Study In Pink for free.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/a-study-in-pink/id383318009?i=384297309&ign-mpt=uo=4
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ben wrote:
    Probably should I posted this earlier but as part of iTunes' 12 Days of Christmas they have released Sherlock - A Study In Pink for free.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/a-study-in-pink/id383318009?i=384297309&ign-mpt=uo=4
    Only in the UK iTunes store.
    :-<
  • BenBen
    Ben wrote:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/a-study-in-pink/id383318009?i=384297309&amp;ign-mpt=uo=4
    Only in the UK iTunes store.
    :-<
    "Apple's 12 Days of Christmas app, available only in Canada, Mexico, the UK, Australia and New Zealand and parts of Europe."

http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/12/28/fourth.of.13.total.gifts.for.uk.canada.europe.users/#ixzz2GSMQmGHN

Ah, that's unfortunate for people who miss out. You get some good stuff from it, most of the time.
    OK, I got the Casebook and it is great! Very enjoyable, plenty of tidbits and back stories; it is a fun collector's book for this series. I rather hope they do another one after the next 3, rather than waiting for the next 6 episodes. Well, they would earn more money doing that so they probably will, me thinks. :) I enjoyed the use of handwritten notes back and forth between Sherlock and John throughout the book. Glad I bought it.
    OK, I got the Casebook and it is great! Very enjoyable, plenty of tidbits and back stories; it is a fun collector's book for this series. I rather hope they do another one after the next 3, rather than waiting for the next 6 episodes. Well, they would earn more money doing that so they probably will, me thinks. :) I enjoyed the use of handwritten notes back and forth between Sherlock and John throughout the book. Glad I bought it.

There is a fake blog for John set up by the BBC with random comments by Sherlock on it all the time, usually snarky. They are great fun to read! :)
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    It's going to be such a long time since I last saw Sherlock, I may rewatch the last three before it comes back.

More series need to take the 'less is more' approach, I actually look forward to the series coming back every single time.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 12,459

There is a fake blog for John set up by the BBC with random comments by Sherlock on it all the time, usually snarky. They are great fun to read! :)

Where? On the show's official website ? (I have never seen it) I will try to find it - thanks!
    UPDATE: Found it - on BBC One site;the comments make me smile. Great if they had some updates on it soon, though. Like something for new year's. But yeah it was fun to read. Now I know about the blog I can check it out periodically. Bet more happens the closer we get to the new episodes.

Where? On the show's official website ? (I have never seen it) I will try to find it - thanks!
    UPDATE: Found it - on BBC One site;the comments make me smile. Great if they had some updates on it soon, though. Like something for new year's. But yeah it was fun to read. Now I know about the blog I can check it out periodically. Bet more happens the closer we get to the new episodes.

Irene also has her own twitter account:
    https://twitter.com/The_Whip_Hand
    :))
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Irene also has her own twitter account:
    https://twitter.com/The_Whip_Hand
    :))

That I didn't know! And Sherlock has one as well, I just knew about Watson's blog.

I got series one and two on BR today by mail and since I don't have time to watch Skyfall tonight, I just slipped disk one in the player and I'm watching A study in Pink. Although I own a BR reader I only had standard DVDs, what a difference! I can see so much level of detail that escaped me while watching it in "regular" quality.
    @Sandy, reading John's Blog is a hoot, and I love all the Sherlock/John/Moriarty twitter and YouTube accounts with users that are always in character. I replied on YouTube to a John Watson (with a profile picture of Martin) and told him Sherlock burnt some of his sweaters, and he replied "Oh, not again." :))
    The first episode of Series 3 is filming next month. Good times ahead!
    I almost couldn't believe at how active are the twitter accounts! I'm already following, who knows what might come up.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The first episode of Series 3 is filming next month. Good times ahead!

I have to divert my eyes from all stills! I don't want a thing spoiled.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Good news for you as they'll be a break after that with the other two filming around June/July as The Hobbit needs to be finished first.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Good news for you as they'll be a break after that with the other two filming around June/July as The Hobbit needs to be finished first.

Interesting, very interesting. Makes sense too, because apparently they filmed part of the first episode when they did series 2. I wonder if the first will be based of off The Empty House. I think Gatiss confirmed that to be true, for the most part. :-?
    He did, yes but no word on what the other two episodes will be or which one is to be filmed next month.

Transmission will be nearer the end of this year, likely October. I'm very much looking forward to it, as if you can't tell already!
    And the three clues were "Rat, Wedding and Bow".

I will be thinking about this more than ever.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 269
    Did you check the comment on Watson's blog whose title is "Diamonds are forever"
    Sherlock Holmes: Where have I heard that phrase before? Diamonds are forever?

John Watson: James Bond. You have heard of James Bond?

Sherlock Holmes: I've heard of him, yes.

John Watson: You haven't seen one, have you? Right, we're having a Bond night.

Sherlock Holmes: It's nice to have something to look forward to.

John Watson: Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Sherlock.

John Watson: Sherlock Holmes: That's demonstrably untrue. That clip of a cat falling off a shelf for example. The one you insisted on watching twelve times.

And later on the Science of deduction
    SH
    As per John's suggestion on his blog at www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk, I'm about to embark on a James Bond 'watch'

SH
    Oh, this is ridiculous

SH
    Preposterous

SH
    Actually, I'm starting to get into this. It's quite exciting!

John Watson
    You' d enjoy it a bit more if you gave it your full attention.

SH
    Bless you, John, but I don't think it needs that.
    This, and the reference to Bond Airline in "Scandal in Belgravia" made my day
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350

Yes. I thought that would mean The Giant Rat Of Sumatra, The Noble Bachelor and His Last Bow but maybe not if The Empty House is to be included.
    Sandy wrote:
    I almost couldn't believe at how active are the twitter accounts! I'm already following, who knows what might come up.

Yep i also read that filming commences next month too! Great news indeed! :-bd
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,012

I can't wait! Finished watching A study in Pink, what a great episode. Completely got me the first time I watched it, and does it again every time I return to it. Brilliant!

@Ytterbium I remember that, it was quite fun.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yes. I thought that would mean The Giant Rat Of Sumatra, The Noble Bachelor and His Last Bow but maybe not if The Empty House is to be included.

I would love The Empty House to be used, it's one of my favourites.

EDIT: Odd thing, Irene Adler is now following me on Twitter :O
    I think the first episode upon return may have elements from The Empty House (hope so!), but weaving the other names into the clues. Rat has just got to be the Giant Rat of Sumatra somehow (!) Amusing possibilities are almost endless because these writers and producers are very clever and witty. LOVE this series!
    I need to reread some classic Holmes, and now seems opportune! It will hopefully be getting nicer around where (on campus), where I spend a good amount of time reading when the whether is fair here on the various benches around here. I will be sure to reread Scandal in Bohemia, The Final Problem and The Empty House first, and leave the rest for later. I should also start a yearly tradition of reading The Blue Carbuncle every Christmas season and The Final Problem every May 4th (big fans will get why I say that date). Carbuncle is the only Holmes story set around Christmas, which is odd because it fits so well with the character and the setting. Maybe Doyle wanted to move away from Dickens in that regard, as he had that area well covered, haha. But as with a lot of the stuff in his Sherlock stories, Doyle doesn't tend to bring anything back up again. Think about it: All the characters we find to be essential for any Sherlock adaption (Moriarty, Mycroft, Irene, Mary, Mrs. Hudson and on and on) barely appear or are mentioned more than once in the stories or novels. If directors/writers/producers of the past and present have done anything right, it is to make these characters so crucial and fascinating that they have become so important and popular for Sherlockians and Holmesians across the world. Hats off to them all for that, and I think Sir Arthur would be very proud to see how much positive exposure these once minor characters have gotten when they often become center-stage around Sherlock and John on their many crazy adventures. :)

And @Sandy, don't worry about that business with Irene. She usually deals with clientele, so to get her to follow you you will have to...well, you know...

...be dominated. :\">
    I saw this and knew I had to post it here!

9733_54d2.gif

And here's this *SPOILERS*:
    tumblr_lymn2sYdYh1r1n6vro1_1280.jpg
    I saw this and knew I had to post it here!

9733_54d2.gif

And here's this *SPOILERS*:
    tumblr_lymn2sYdYh1r1n6vro1_1280.jpg

Nice ;)

Cumberbatch strikes a weird resemblance to my father (when he was a young man) in that photo. @-) Very odd moment.