Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, I watched it a few times and keep spotting little things I missed first
    time round. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't have the dvd yet but I will. :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    After spending a week finally seeing season (or series, to you British viewers) 2 and 3, I caught the special on New Years Day, and I thought it was fantastic. The twist was well foreshadowed, and now I'm in the boat of the long-time fans, just waiting for the next set of episodes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How exciting! I love the energy of all involved. It looks like a Q1 2017 release is what we'll be getting.

The game is well and truly afoot again!

Thanks for posting, @Creasy47.
    This is great news indeed! Look forward to seeing things in the future! :-bd
    You're quite welcome! It's about time I kick my ass into gear and watch the Christmas episode finally.
    Love the show, One of my TV highlights.
    Yeah! Filming on season 4 starts today :-)!

Toby Jones to star as "one of Doyle´s finest villains".

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/686839-toby-jones-joins-sherlock-season-4
    Nice to hear that, I think Jones is a great actor. Looking forward to this, suppose it's time I finally watch 'The Abominable Bride.'
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ooooh, Toby Jones is an inspired choice for whatever villain they have dreamed up! Any guesses, ladies and gents?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Col. Moran? The second most dangerous man in London??

John Clay? Founder of the Red-Headed League??
    I wish it was Moran, but they used him as the bomber in The Empty Hearse as a throwaway enemy (the bomber had the last name Moran, at least), because Gatiss viewed him as nothing but a henchman and didn't want to adapt the character. I wish we'd get a proper Moran, because he and Watson are such great doppelgangers that you could do so many things with. I'd love to see Watson and Moran face off in a combat situation, with nothing but a firearm and their wits.

That we didn't get Moran in BBC Sherlock is my biggest disappointment with the show so far.
    I'll be interested to see how Season 4 turns out. Seasons 1 and 2 made me a big fan, so I also bought the DVD of Season 3 having not seen the episodes beforehand, and for me it was a mistake. I thought Season 3 was way too cute, too much supposedly clever dialogue, winks at fans, more extraneous characters close to Holmes and Watson, and not enough focus on actual crime/detective cases--at least, that's the impression it left me with--so I've probably watched the Season 3 episodes only twice each. I have all the Jeremy Brett Sherlock DVDs and still watch them occasionally. I'd like to see the creators stay closer to Doyle's storylines (updated for present day), but I guess there's not much chance of that.
    @Thrasos, season 3 is definitely a bigger departure from the episode formula. Seasons 1 and 2 are case based and much more austere, and season 3, while still containing dark moments, does get a bit too comfortable in its frivolity. Still, stand out moments like Sherlock's return, the wedding scenes, an exploration of Sherlock and Mycroft's relationship, Sherlock's drug abuse and the final episode with Magnussen make the season worthwhile to me. Moffat and Gatiss had one season to play and do something different, focusing on character shakeups more than mystery yarns, but I'd rather get more of what we did in seasons 1 and 2.
    Sherlock's drug abuse
    Sherlock uses, not abuses :D .

@Thrasos, season 3 is definitely a bigger departure from the episode formula. Seasons 1 and 2 are case based and much more austere, and season 3, while still containing dark moments, does get a bit too comfortable in its frivolity. Still, stand out moments like Sherlock's return, the wedding scenes, an exploration of Sherlock and Mycroft's relationship, Sherlock's drug abuse and the final episode with Magnussen make the season worthwhile to me. Moffat and Gatiss had one season to play and do something different, focusing on character shakeups more than mystery yarns, but I'd rather get more of what we did in seasons 1 and 2.
    I enjoyed and still enjoy season 3 as much as the first two seasons, but I agree that it would be a perilous path to continue on. Each episode should always be understandable to someone not familiar with the rest. The explorations of characters and inside jokes will always be welcomed as bonus, but they cannot build the backbone.

In France, tomorrow is the first airing of "The Abominable Bride" ("L'Effroyable Mariée" in french). Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch it, it's the same day as my irish dance class. Ah well, I alrady saw it a few months ago, and I have the DVD.
    Great to know the new series is underway. Just a shame they only make them in sets of 3.
    Agreed, three is far too little. :((
    I´m very glad they make them only in threes! This way, they put everything into it and don´t stretch everything unnecessarily, as does virtually every other tv series I´ve witnessed.
    Oh, that would be so awesome! And Toby could fill the void that Redbeard's passing left in Sherlock. :D
    'Sherlock' season four is an action movie? Trailer has been released.

http://collider.com/sherlock-season-4-trailer/
    You just beat me to it, @Creasy. F***** sh**, just when I started sulking at the Dr Strange trailer not doing anything for me, I watch this and get goosebumps all over!
    Here's a direct link to the teaser:

Jesus, I don't know what to think. Up is down, left it right, Sherlock...has stubble?! So many questions, and good god this looks like it takes everything to the breaking point for Sherlock.
    Really looking forward to the return of Sherlock.
    Here's a direct link to the teaser:

Jesus, I don't know what to think. Up is down, left it right, Sherlock...has stubble?! So many questions, and good god this looks like it takes everything to the breaking point for Sherlock.

Count me in!!!!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Nice to hear that, I think Jones is a great actor. Looking forward to this, suppose it's time I finally watch 'The Abominable Bride.'

Thought I posted about it here, but I finally saw this about two weeks ago, and it was alright; nice to have a return to 'Sherlock,' and I was happy that it was pretty case-oriented (as opposed to being all over the place, which is how season three felt to me.) I can only hope that the new season goes back to what I enjoyed most from series 1 and 2.
    The Blu-Ray is already in the pipeline. Release on march 31 2017, according to Amazon :

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IRDD7EM/ref=pe_1975161_145716131_em_1p_3_ti
    Season four promo image:

sherlock-season-4-571x600.jpg