Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The last episode of the run is also being shown in Cinemas.
    It is a testament to great writing and casting how much worldwide appeal Sherlock has!
    Richard Madeley was talking about it this morning on TV. Saying how he and
    His wife couldn't follow the story ! :-O WTF I'm not the sharpest knife in the
    Drawer but I could follow the storyline, no problem.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I watched it with a friend of mine who said the same thing. Unfortunately they weren't too pleased with me pointing out that they'd have to put their phone down in order to follow it, as opposed to just glancing up every 60 seconds or so.

Maybe dear Rich and his wife were doing the same thing?
    I enjoyed it. Didn't like Mary, or enjoy series 3 as much as the first 2 series so hoping the next couple of episodes are back to the basics of those series.
    My sister texted me recently, saying she and her husband were just watching the new episode, and how boring it was. I couldn´t believe my own eyes when I read her text. I cannot believe they were really watching it. Probably doing three other things at the same time and not getting the clues. When I watched the episode last sunday, I looked at the watch after about 30min and was suprised that only that little time had elapsed, because already so much had happened. I can´t wait to watch the DVD several times :-).
    Yes, and I´m kind of nervous what will happen tomorrow.

I didn´t manage to catch the episode live. Does anyone know a possibility to watch it afterwards, except BBC iPlayer (I´m outside the UK)?
    Watched the latest episode. Interesting ending. Did not expect that one.
    Sherlock and Mycroft have a sister and she is the primary antagonist of season four and maybe even the last season after Moriarty died? All those miss me messages were from her? Why? My daddy didn't love me sibling rivalry, like with Bond and Brofeld?
    I enjoyed it, the crime solving part was ok but the relationship between Holmes and
    Watson was superbly portrayed. With a great ending.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 5,774
    All right, I watched the first episode today, and...
    Did no one here notice the Skyfall references" ? All right, you can say that the MI6 headquarters are a landmark in London, or that there are a lot of old buildings in England. But didn't the passenger in the plane look just like Silva ? Remember, "Once is happenstance..."

Still a great episode, with lots of twists and turns, humour and tragedy mixed up, just like in life come to think of it. A for the spoiler I've read above, well it's not the first time :
    Enola-Holmes-1-3.jpg

E for Enola, perhaps ?

ETA :
    Not so much references as a whole plot : a secret agent, betrayed by his own, goes on a rampage of revenge against the woman who betrayed him? The woman dying in the end ? That episode is Skyfall redux, and they pointed that out with the things I wrote earlier.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    To my knowledge this is the first television show that actually require you to manipulate the broadcast (pause, rematch scenes, slow down) in order to fully experience the story. I may just be behind the times, as i am old and don't watch a lot of modern shows.
    I guess that´s why I enjoy so much watching them repeatedly on DVD :-).

Loved the second episode! Great casting and great villain! At one point I thought I was on the same stuff as Sherlock!!! Looking forward to the finale!
    There are some strange coincidences between Sherlock and the Whoniverse, at lest if we believe Radio Times :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-10/did-you-spot-the-torchwood-easter-egg-in-sherlock

127774.jpg

127778.jpg

Of course, one has to remember who is producing and writing the show. But still, after the Skyfall connection I unearthed earlier (and got no response to), that's funny, isn't it ?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited January 2017 Posts: 2,535
    Gatiss is (subtly) offering himself as Bond director (or writer) since quite a while ago... And I wouldn't mind it at all!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ALL Episode transcripts: http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/

:-O =D> ^:)^
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2017 Posts: 12,459
    Just saw the 2nd episode - LOVED it! What a great script. I enjoyed this so much. Loved the characters that came into play, liked the wrap up and the extra ending - I think I like where this is going a bit. I thought beautifully done with Mary, too. Very happy fan here. :)
    Question is, should I watch the coming episode this sunday, even though I missed the last one? Or should I better wait till the DVD arrives in two weeks?
    @boldfinger if you missed episode 2 then please don't watch episode 3 this Sunday, you'll ruin so much of the fun for yourself. If you can hold out until the DVD then I'd strongly recommend it.
    Episode 2 sets things up nicely for the finale. Essential viewing for fans of the show!
    It's a pity that Mary was killed off. I liked her very much. I also liked the idea that she was a former assassin. She could have been useful in their cases.

boldfinger wrote: »
    Question is, should I watch the coming episode this sunday, even though I missed the last one? Or should I better wait till the DVD arrives in two weeks?

Can't you watch it online? It's on netflix and shouldn't it also be watchable from the networks own website, if you don't have netflix?

• edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Just watched the the first two episodes of the new season, it's great stuff picked up early in the second episode what is going on.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 5,767
    TR007 wrote: »
    @boldfinger if you missed episode 2 then please don't watch episode 3 this Sunday, you'll ruin so much of the fun for yourself. If you can hold out until the DVD then I'd strongly recommend it.
    Episode 2 sets things up nicely for the finale. Essential viewing for fans of the show!
    @TR007, thanks for the important info!

SharkBait wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »

Can't you watch it online? It's on netflix and shouldn't it also be watchable from the networks own website, if you don't have netflix?

@SharkBait, Netflix doesn´t have the fourth series yet, or if it has, please let me know how I can find it.
    The network´s own website offers it only in the UK. I could install some tool to conceal my IP address, but I´m not that technically savvy.
    Guess I have to wait another ten days...

Looking forward to the finale tomorrow night! Just a damned shame that this is the finale again! :((
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Looking forward to the finale tomorrow night! Just a damned shame that this is the finale again! :((
    I was suprised they did not leave the reveal at the end until the finale.

Think so far it's one of the better seasons of Sherlock, the time away from the show certainly helped with the writing I think.

Due to a very good human being I was able to watch episode 2 after all :-). Enjoyed it a lot! I liked ep 1 already, but this one was amazing. Considering that they usually put everything into the finale, tomorrow´s going to be really, really special it seems.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It was great, wasn't it? :) So looking forward to the 3rd one! Very happy you got to see Ep. 2.
    Thanks, @4Ever ;-). I´ve ordered the dvd long ago, and it´s due soon, but it´s a good thing to have seen the episodes already!
    Russia has already leaked the last episode of Sherlock. must be a afraid that Sherlock will be in the US presidential race in 4 years. :))
    Had to switch Sherlock off as at work in thirty minutes Bah! Will watch it tomorrow <:-P
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Tonight's End of series just goes to prove that we here in the uk make the best TV drama in the world you can't beat the BBC and Thankyou David Arnold as well
    I won't say any more just now as I don't wish to spoil it for those of you who have yet to watch
    But you are in for a bumpy ride !...