Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 1,469
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I appreciated what you wrote, and great to read about your enjoyment of Doyle. Even if Doyle isn't respected as a serious literary mind, he certainly won the vote of the public, including those who complained when he originally "killed off" his main character. Regarding the BBC series, whether people deem the quality of future shows as better, the same or possibly less than previous episodes, it of course has us talking about Doyle, the excellent characters he created and his writing, so it's all good. Somebody probably mentioned it before, but I think the various acting interpretations of Holmes and Watson over the years to current day probably parallel portrayals of Bond and Bond characters in that some actors might get closer to the ideal but all have illuminated aspects of the character(s), and of course the Cumberbatch-Freeman series has the exciting new twist on the setting. One episode of the Granada series with Jeremy Brett that comes to mind (since I've only done a minimal scan of the Doyle story) is The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge...I enjoy the interplay between Holmes and Inspector Baynes, and Freddie Jones' portrayal of him...but of course there are so many great Doyle stories. It won't be long now till the BBC season begins!

...and just read that Holmes was "born" on Christmas Day...an old Wall Street Journal story says "The first story Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote about Holmes, an 1887 novel called "A Study in Scarlet," appeared in Beeton's Christmas Annual."
    Well, that was quite promising! By next Sunday I will shiver with anticipation.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote: »

Indeed. Much, much better than its Season 3 counterpart.

Season 3 on the whole was a bit of a dud to me so I'm glad they got back to form tonight. Still not at the levels of Season 2 though.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 1,469
    I too am eager to see where they go from here next Sunday. I thought parts of this (first) episode contained snippets of "classic Cumberbatch Sherlock" while moving the whole venture forward. Maybe not a seamless, totally thrilling episode, but my first impression is I liked this one better than most if not all of last season's episodes. On the down side, I think it took about a half-hour to get over some initial fluff dialogue; and I had quibbles with some other writing, like doubting that Sherlock would not know who Margaret Thatcher was, or would ever call Lestrade (Greg) "Giles", I think it was, unless the writers wanted him to seem contrary, or unless it was a nod to Giles Cooper, who adapted three or four Sherlock Holmes stories for the BBC in the 1960's--though it's probably because (Wikipedia says) in the 1944 Sherlock Holmes film "The Pearl of Death" with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (based on "The Adventure of the Six Napoleons"), "Master criminal Giles Conover steals the famous Borgia Pearl".

Indeed. Much, much better than its Season 3 counterpart.

Season 3 on the whole was a bit of a dud to me so I'm glad they got back to form tonight. Still not at the levels of Season 2 though.
    I adore the developments from series 1 through series 2, but for some reason I enjoy very much how they deviate since then, and constantly manage to go into unexpected directions. I love how this episode
    feels very much like a counterpoint thematically to The Aboninable Bride.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Does anyone feel The Abominable Bride was relatively ignored? A couple throwaway references and then back to Standard Sherlock Mode.
    Does anyone feel The Abominable Bride was relatively ignored? A couple throwaway references and then back to Standard Sherlock Mode.
    No, I don´t feel that way at all. They didn´t dwell on it, but why should they? As I said above, thematically I feel The six Thatchers being a strong counterpoint to The abominable Bride. In that regard, they referred to TAB throughout the whole episode IMO. And, of course, both episodes are connected by Moriarty.
    I don´t think there is any standard Sherlock mode since series 3.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I may have to rewatch this series, just haven't been crazy about it since that second season. The Abominable Bride wasn't too bad, from what I can remember, but the third season didn't do a lot for me, either, so here's hoping the fourth (and probably final) season delivers.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    According to Wikipedia, the fifth is already being written.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Not sure how trustworthy that may be, but the more I look into it, the more it does seem up-in-the-air rather than confirmed; I thought for sure they had planned on this season being the final one, but it seems like they have the "I'll keep going if everyone else is interested" attitude, which is great.
    I just went and checked Wikipedia's sources, "maybe" from the writers and Cumberbatch is signed on for a fifth, as of January 2014.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Not sure how trustworthy that may be, but the more I look into it, the more it does seem up-in-the-air rather than confirmed; I thought for sure they had planned on this season being the final one, but it seems like they have the "I'll keep going if everyone else is interested" attitude, which is great.
    From where did you gather for sure they had planned this season to be the final one? The only thing I read was Cumberbatch saying something along the lines of it going to be difficult to continue immediately after the ending of this series. But that means everything and nothing.

I just went and checked Wikipedia's sources, "maybe" from the writers and Cumberbatch is signed on for a fifth, as of January 2014.
    I believe both Cumberbatch and Freeman said they would be happy any time to continue with Sherlock, if their respective schedules allow.

Birdleson wrote: »
    I wish that they never went they route the did with Watson meeting this woman, getting married, etc. The storylines springing out of that (and there have been many) just haven't done it for me. So much hinges on us caring what the Hell happens to her and I don't.
    Well, at least the part of Watson meeting this woman and getting married to her is taken straight from the source material. But I think what you mean is this woman as opposed to a woman with a less intrusive background, right? But then you´re off the hook now, aren´t you?

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    If it's good enough for Sir Arthur ... It's good enough for me.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 wrote: »
    The man´s got quite a talent!

great little poem. =D>
    I rather like Mary Watson. She's interesting.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2017 Posts: 12,459
    Just a quick note to say I really enjoyed The Abominable Bride, but I only saw it once.
    I just watched the brand new Sherlock, The Six Thatchers, a couple of days ago. Loved it! I thought it was excellent. I knew they would have to do something. That something I rather wish had come later, but I think they handled it very well.

As for Mary, she is part of Doyle's stories and belong there and I've really enjoyed this series' take on her. Very much so. I found this new episode to feel fresh, well paced, and part of it hearkened back being the problem solving Sherlock, with puzzles thrown at him. It was all good for me. I guess the only thing I would have changed (besides the big development to later in this series) is
    John being attacted to another woman. I did not think it at all necessary. Not to lessen the impact of loss or for any reason. I think that is the only thing I really disliked, disagreed with.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    To you, not me. But I assume, as per usual, I'm greatly outnumbered.

Maybe here. But general fans seem to be split 50/50 on how she has been handled. At least from what I can see.
    I wish that they never went they route the did with Watson meeting this woman, getting married, etc. The storylines springing out of that (and there have been many) just haven't done it for me. So much hinges on us caring what the Hell happens to her and I don't.
    Well, at least the part of Watson meeting this woman and getting married to her is taken straight from the source material. But I think what you mean is this woman as opposed to a woman with a less intrusive background, right? But then you´re off the hook now, aren´t you?

Well, I didn't think I was on the hook, but if it is in the source material (sadly I have not read all of Conan Doyle's original works) I think it needs to be in there. But, yes, does she have to be the goddamned focal point of three of the series' lamest episodes? And "intrusive" is putting it mildly.
    I like how she´s handled in the series, but to be fair it´s not at all like in the books. There she was hardly there except for one story (after which John marries her). She was mainly mentioned indirectly, to indicate that John was married and living with his wife. And I don´t recall her being active beyond the household.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    She wasn't active at all outside of Sign of Four. But I love that she is in this series.
    I guess the only thing I would have changed (besides the big development to later in this series) is
    John being attacted to another woman. I did not think it at all necessary. Not to lessen the impact of loss or for any reason. I think that is the only thing I really disliked, disagreed with.
    I bet that was to set up something in one of the coming episodes.

As in the Abominable Bride, I think many would have liked Mary, to stay in the background
    Making tea and sandwiches for the lads, when they return late from crime solving. ........
    ...... " Women know your place !"
    :))
    I enjoy very much how they deviate since series 3, but I sure hope that the adventures of Holmes and Watson will always be a base to which they will return.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, in the books, Mary Morstan passes away after some time, and Watson returns to share the 221B apartment with Holmes again, thus returning to the basis of how it was before. I am sure that will be done in this series, too.
    I think a big surprise is coming, reports. Of a certain death, may have been exaggerated ?
    ( In my opinion )
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I always thought Mary has had a bullseye on her back, so I wouldn't put it past them if they decide to wrap her character up. Especially the way she's interpreted in this incarnation.
    Great first episode although I did not expect that to happen. Roll on Sunday is all i can say!! :-bd