Going away or coming back?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We're all sinners here. We worship some Scottish bloke whose body count is running in the hundreds and who has bedded more women than you or I have even talked to. In the good old days, this man used to liquor up for breakfast and smoke enough cigarettes to keep the tobacco companies going all by himself. He used benzedrine to get the job done. Also, "just keeping the British end up, sir."

So a little beer won't kill you.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    But the bottle might, in the hands of a capable villain. Just sayin'.
    Back from a long needed break. Boy it looks like a I got a lot to catch up on!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Back from a long needed break. Boy it looks like a I got a lot to catch up on!

Welcome back breaks are good
    Your not kidding! Been a pretty full on year, nice to be back among you crazy lot on here. Feeling very at home again! Lol!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Ha ha its good to recharge, there are some decent folk on here
    Welcome back matey !
    Thank you peeps! Appears quite a bit has been happening whilst I have been away.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Due to recent events https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/9702/feedback-and-suggestions-v2#latest in this thread, whilst only a prank I have received several messages from members stating their disgust at my actions. Sadly not everyone got the joke. On top of that my work life has been very stressful of late, leading to me getting very low at times.
    Because of all this I have decided to take an indefinite leave of absence from the forum.
    The place will be in more than capable hands.
    Till the time comes, keep keeping the British end up.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Have a good rest, and looking forward to your return. And people need to lighten up.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed sometimes it's good to have a break, and although I didn't send any
    Messages of disgust, ........ I do now regret sending all that dog poo in a bag.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sorry you're going, @Benny. I can't believe some people sent you messages about that, especially as we didn't know for sure what was going on there. Take a good rest and hopefully we'll see you back sooner rather than later.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Amazing how some can be completely devoid of a sense of humour. I look forward to your return.
    Octopussy says: Come back soon.
    giphy.gif
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,314
    Take care @Benny. Taking a little break from the forum can definitely be rejuvenating. Just don't stay away for too long!
    Benny wrote: »
    Due to recent events https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/9702/feedback-and-suggestions-v2#latest in this thread, whilst only a prank I have received several messages from members stating their disgust at my actions. Sadly not everyone got the joke. On top of that my work life has been very stressful of late, leading to me getting very low at times.
    Because of all this I have decided to take an indefinite leave of absence from the forum.
    The place will be in more than capable hands.
    Till the time comes, keep keeping the British end up.

You werent the only one in on the prank Benster,so i dont see why you should fall on your sword...come on,at least stay in a less active capacity but dont go.

The mods will be 1 man down, and the forum will be 1 member down, and i will be 1 friend down !!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 13,384
    You have to Stop going down @barryt007 ;-)
    You have to Stop going down @barryt007 ;-)

Eh ? I'm confused old chap.
    Just my schoolboy humour about the term. In your post. ....... Nothing sinister
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Aaah ok...i still dont get it but im sure it was funny hahaha !!
    (probably being slightly hungover doesnt help .)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It isn't forum policy to divulge what goes on behind the scenes, but I want to say something to set the record straight. Benny wasn't even 'in' on the prank at all. He received messages from members who should have thought before typing. Of course, when it had been revealed as a prank, what had been said, had been said.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    It isn't forum policy to divulge what goes on behind the scenes, but I want to say something to set the record straight. Benny wasn't even 'in' on the prank at all. He received messages from members who should have thought before typing. Of course, when it had been revealed as a prank, what had been said, had been said.

Thats disgusting..you mean they sent bad messages before even checking first ?
    So a totally innocent mod is dragged into something that is nothing to do with him,and gets unfairly abused for it.

As i said,disgusting...and i'm fuming about this now.
    Another reason for Benster not to go...come on @benny ,me and you go back years,dont go because of a few morons .

And i personally appreciate you coming out and defending him Major,you did the right thing for Benny and the forum by doing that.

Thank you, @MajorDSmythe

A sad state of affairs, perhaps those who sent the disgusting messages may well
    Wish to take a break too, to try and work on a sense of humour. Some do have a
    Rather inflated opinion of their opinions.
    Being a Mod is a hard enough job without this sort of crap being added to the mix.
    My sympathies are with @Benny and hope his holiday is short but satisfying.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Christ. Well, the sword shall swing over my neck for this one, as it should.

The fact that people not only thought this bulls@#$ was real is one thing, but another that they then sent their private fiery messages afterward. I should've blacked out the mod name in the fake message to avoid this, but of course at the time I thought, "Everyone will see how fake and doctored it is immediately and then that'll be it." Not even to mention that anyone would think mods actually talk to members like that that they are friends with.

I'm fumed over the response of some, but not as fumed as I am with myself. It is easy to blow it off as some not having a sense of humor, but in the end it was taken seriously for a reason, and that goes to show it went too far and I shouldn't have done it in the first place. What started as a prank on Thunderfinger, in response to one he and jake24 fooled me with a few months ago, quickly got out of hand and hurt someone's feelings who had no idea about any of it. Either way you spin it, that's not right. I've got some work to do...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Why should you be fumed at yourself? People who are that gullible to believe something so obviously meant as joke shouldn't be allowed on the internet in the first place. Anyone who's been here for more than a week would know how ludicrous that behaviour would be if it actually came from one of the mods. I knew right away that it was a hoax. As I'm sure @Thunderfinger did when he read it. No sense in feeling remotely guilty Brady. The real culprits are those who made Benny feel like a complete d**k for something he had nothing to do with. They should be the one's apologizing, not you.
    Even I, who's not the sharpest knife in the drawer thought it was a leg pull. The idea of
    There being a move to get rid of Thunderfinger , just didn't make sense.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Anyone who's been here for more than a week would know how ludicrous that behaviour would be if it actually came from one of the mods. I knew right away that it was a hoax. As I'm sure @Thunderfinger did when he read it.

Absolutely. I know Brady and Benny.It figured.
    I should've blacked out the mod name in the fake message to avoid this, but of course at the time I thought, "Everyone will see how fake and doctored it is immediately and then that'll be it." .

That would have made it a better joke. Not everyone here knows you or Benny.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2017 Posts: 28,694
    jake24 wrote: »
    Why should you be fumed at yourself? People who are that gullible to believe something so obviously meant as joke shouldn't be allowed on the internet in the first place. Anyone who's been here for more than a week would know how ludicrous that behaviour would be if it actually came from one of the mods. I knew right away that it was a hoax. As I'm sure @Thunderfinger did when he read it. No sense in feeling remotely guilty Brady. The real culprits are those who made Benny feel like a complete d**k for something he had nothing to do with. They should be the one's apologizing, not you.

@jake24, well I wouldn't expect to be taken to the gallows for it or anything, but it happened from something I did so a culpability factor is naturally attached to it. I can't control people's reactions, but perhaps I framed the hoax too convincingly (in the worded message) that it was taken for real and spurred people on.

Just a lesson learnt for next time. It's a pretty safe bet from my side that if I think it's funny and get at least 1% amusement from it, it'll probably backfire and shouldn't be carried through regardless. This is the internet, after all. The land where nuance and "think before you speak" mantras usually crawl in a hole and die. But I could've done it better (or worse, in this case) or not done it at all.
    @Birdleson, you need to go back one page on that thread, to page 15.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Is it worth asking if anyone can summarize exactly what occurred? I'm clueless, and I wasn't able to get anywhere looking at the last few pages of the link that Benny put up.

Thunderfinger and I prank/pull each other's legs a lot, so I made what I thought was a cheeky and obvious hoax that he was being wrangled in by the mod team for his colorful behavior. Some members knew what I was doing and played along, and as planned Thunderfinger perhaps had a chuckle, knew it was a joke and moved along. No harm done? So I thought.

Apparently some members took the obvious joke as not so obvious and thought that the message was real, and that there was mod action against Thundy or something (I honestly don't even know what was said, or how people actually thought this was happening). They sent what apparently were harsh and strong messages to Benny complaining about what they thought he did, again thinking that somehow the forum was conspiratorially trying to get rid of Thunderfinger (??). This then stressed Benny out and I guess that brings us to the current situation.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I only ask because whatever it was has you guys all behaving so dramatically.

Wouldn't call it dramatic, but when someone leaves the forum over something you did, you shouldn't slag it off even if your control doesn't extend to how those that messaged Benny took the "joke."

I tried to make it pretty obvious it wasn't real, but perhaps I needed to throw in a wink-face emoticon to really sell it?