Going away or coming back?

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    So now the opinion that is unwelcomed around here (somehow) is one that actually likes 95% of the films from 1962 to 2002? I didn't know this was a Craig era utopia, where all the movies since 2006 were worshipped with punishment by death for those that don't like them. Except that CR is the only one widely praised and each other film after has its own pocket of dissenters and supporters.

This delusion that Craig is off limits is a nonsensical view, especially since SP has made many want him out. The anti-SP mood of the forum is another sign that Danny is by no means untouchable, so this implied favoritism to the actor is both unfounded and widely exaggerated.

I want what some are smoking.

Quite. Craig is "damaged goods", at least on this forum. Which is a shame because I really warmed to him in Spectre.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    royale65 wrote: »
    So now the opinion that is unwelcomed around here (somehow) is one that actually likes 95% of the films from 1962 to 2002? I didn't know this was a Craig era utopia, where all the movies since 2006 were worshipped with punishment by death for those that don't like them. Except that CR is the only one widely praised and each other film after has its own pocket of dissenters and supporters.

This delusion that Craig is off limits is a nonsensical view, especially since SP has made many want him out. The anti-SP mood of the forum is another sign that Danny is by no means untouchable, so this implied favoritism to the actor is both unfounded and widely exaggerated.

I want what some are smoking.

Quite. Craig is "damaged goods", at least on this forum. Which is a shame because I really warmed to him in Spectre.

We may see him back yet, @royale65. I'd say it's far more likely than not. And then we'll have to hear the same group who wanted another Bond film the second they left SP whine about how they want old Bond back and how it has ruined their lives to see Dan back again for another movie. If people are delusional enough to make up in their minds that an actor has retired from the role before said actor has said anything near official or unofficial, I shall not pity them when their false expectations explode in their face. People take this stuff too seriously, and attach a sense of villainy on Dan and EON for not being able to go back in time and stop distribution deals from needing sorted, or for not slaving to give them the films they want when they want them.

Perhaps we should create a "Find Your Hobby" thread on the main page, seeing as some look like they need one desperately. I call knitting, so I can make some Bond related sweaters in time for the winter holiday.
    Currently on vacation
    It seems encouraging that Craig will be back. SP was the most outlandish and formulaic Bond film for Craig, and I have a feeling that B25 will be Craig's FYEO to his MR.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,551
    I think it's a bit dramatic to say that this forum doesn't allow criticism of Craig, and that it unconditionally must and will at all times defend him. "The forum" as such doesn't exist as an entity with an opinion. But we do have some fierce Craig fans and by all means, isn't that the nature of the beast? Try to find a Star Wars forum where you can openly attack Mark Hamill. Craig is James Bond right now and not until a new actor steps in the role, will many find it comfortable enough to re-evaluate his tenure.

That said, debates about Craig happen all the time here and some choose black and some choose white and most choose grey. But must that make us uncomfortable to hang around? Again, a bit dramatic to feel unaccepted or targeted simply because of some Craig criticism, no? In a certain thread here, I'm having rather harsh debates with @Dragonpol and @Mendes4Lyfe, but I agree with both lads on many things in many other threads, and I still call them good friends. A difference of opinion is only that; it's not a war declaration nor a sign of being persona non grata.

The problem isn't so much the fact of agreeing or disagreeing with Craig as Bond and, worse, of not being allowed to disagree with Craig as Bond or to criticise aspects of his acting and films and whatnot. The problem is overestimating an Internet forum as a gathering of like minded folks who will not stand up for their darlings nor shove a fist in those of someone else. Those things happen because that is what an Internet forum is built on.

And in the end, "I can't say anything bad about so and so because then I'll get an entire fan club against me" is a little bit contradictory in itself. If you want to speak up, others have the right to do so too. Action and reaction. The attacker will get the defenders breathing down his neck and vice versa. So please, let us all stop being overly dramatic. Yes, this forum has many Craig fans, but if you don't like Craig, you can be a part of this forum just as well. Perhaps the many Craig fans have a slightly easier time radiating their love for Craig, than a Craig critic for pointing out his flaws; but in the end, everyone gets to have their saying and if things turn really caustic, contact a mod. Regardless of our personal feelings about Craig, we shan't tolerate bullying from any front.

The whole, "I don't like the general consensus here so I'm leaving now" thing has never sat well with me. We have hundreds of threads where Craig couldn't possibly be included, where we celebrate our love for all things Bond. Bond is the key to this forum, not whether more or less than 95 % of the members agrees or disagrees with how you're feeling. Let Craig be popular here, it's a reflection of his popularity as Bond outside of this forum too so that is to be expected. Speak your mind, agree to disagree if needs be, and move on. Otherwise, Internet forums, except for the extremely niche ones, are going to always upset you in one way or another. Fan-based unity is never absolute nor 100 %, especially in as rich a series as the Bond series. We know that overtime things can change. Just look at how many here love Lazenby and Dalton, and how many have openly stated a lack of affection for Connery's later work. We haven't even started assessing Craig's tenure in full. Some really exciting times await us vis-à-vis our thoughts on Craig. Many here loved Brosnan, until Craig came. Many of those have since renewed their love for Brosnan, despite Craig. Let's see what happens when the next bloke dons the tux.

But I still see no reason why one should flee the ship over something as petty as that. If I may use a much hated phrase, "We're all friends here."

Except @Creasy47. I call him my Master. And @MajorDSmythe. I call him Machete.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Beautiful post, Dimi, as always. I cherish that 'Master' title and would expect nothing less, either!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is Dimi in case people didn t get it
    tumblr_m6kq17OSOy1qibcroo1_1280.png

And here is Creasy
    gary-oldman-dracula.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Seems to be simply the type of discussion he wants to engage in, or choose not to. I trust his judgment and it's easy to respect his decision.
    One of the most interesting in discussion, his presence will be missed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, I put several hours into getting my hair looking as fine as it does in that shot.
    I know. You look smashing.
    Mummumumumum...

*Swallows*

Oh I'm sorry, I was still chewing on some flies.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,384
    ... we'll need those throusers back ! ;-)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think you're being a bit melodramatic, mate.
    Like old eggs.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm going away for a while. I'll post my review for Diamonds Are Forever once it's done.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Did I hear someone call...?

tumblr_mlsp2rX6mW1roi22oo1_500.gif

I know how you feel, @BondJasonBond006 . I genuinely like parts of SP, and prefer the film overall, to the previous three films. But because such an opinion is in a minority, that is no reason why you must feel like you should leave. I mean, there's far more to Bond than just the Craig films, to keep you here. If it's a matter of interest (which again, trust me, I know how you feel, 2012-2015 marked the lowest point of my interest in the films, I didn't even bother to see SP on the big screen) or you feel like you need a break. Then that's fine, we all need a break, some time to recharge, from time to time. Just don't feel like you are being pushed out, or are alone. Other people will feel the same way about many different aspects of the world of Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You guys read too much into my brief statement. Especially you Brady.

I think people who are not very much into CR to QOS and Craig but love SP know what I was hinting at. It's a fact in here and experienced by enough.

Anyway it is not my intention to cause some argument.
    I made a decision and out of respect for this forum I posted my goodbye.

Once we get a new era my interest in Bond will be renewed.

Well you're certainly not helping whatever this is by saying goodbye, then coming back, then saying goodbye, then coming back... It's a hot and cold situation that confuses the hell out of me, so it's only natural I'd get lost.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit melodramatic, mate.

@jake24, apparently we're reading too much into it. But what "it" is, I've no idea.
    But what "it" is, I've no idea.

v1.bjs0NTIwNzI7ajsxNzQyMDsxMjAwOzIyNTA7MTEyNQ

Your funeral, Brady.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Your funeral, Brady.

Joke's on you, @DarthDimi. I don't go anywhere near storm drains. And even if I did, my love of Joker since childhood has taken all the scare out of clowns that kids seem to have, normalizing the theatrical make-up for me forever.

So, ha!

Your funeral, Brady.

Joke's on you, @DarthDimi. I don't go anywhere near storm drains. And even if I did, my love of Joker since childhood has taken all the scare out of clowns that kids seem to have, normalizing the theatrical make-up for me forever.

So, ha!

That's it! I'm leaving!

Uh... for a quick toilet break. I'll be back in a minute.

Your funeral, Brady.

So, ha!

That's it! I'm leaving!

No you aren't! Not before composing a drawn out and overly dramatic goodbye that is really just a prelude to the actual goodbye that will come a few posts after this. Don't you know how things are done here?
    Don't you know how things are done here?

After all these years, I still haven't found the bar, so no.
    Don't you know how things are done here?

After all these years, I still haven't found the bar, so no.

If you're talking about "the bar" as an object, it's set so low at this point that it's easy to miss, unless you trip on it. If you're talking about "the bar" as a recreational outlet for brewing permanent life mistakes, it's right next to the entrance to the troll dungeons where all our past spamming members now degrade into nothingness from their scrunched in cells.

You won't like the bar, though. All they serve are nasty health shakes with kelp, and the last guy that came by to taste one told the bartender to cut out the middle man and give it a flush. Whatever that means.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Diamonds Are Forever review will be probably another couple of weeks. Once that's done, I'll post on the official thread. I hope everything turns out well with Bond 25.
    Have a nice break, fellows. Hope everything works out for you in the meantime, and see you later.
    I thought @Thunderfinger would never leave.
    As long as I am allowed to keep whining about the Brosnan era, I will stay.
    No can do. Haven't you heard? Only positivity is allowed on this forum. Go on, say something nice about Mr. Brosnan.
    la-et-jc-pierce-brosnan-adaptation-hemingway-novel-20160209
    Three-hearts-clipart.jpg