Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Live and Let Die
    00Beast wrote:
    [q

Yes, the boat chase is fascinating in many parts, but then some drag and nothing is happening except watching a boat make ripples in the water. As for the airplane chase, that's possibly the worst action piece in the movie. It's just B-L-A-N-D.

It wasnt at the time. It had never been seen before. The mixture of humour and action was terrific at the time and the stunts, though ubiquitous now hadnt been seen before. Its an original.

As for GE's stunts? That bungy jump is hardly dangerous. The audience knows he is attached to an elastic band.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    In fairness it's a bunjee jump off one bloody high damn. When have you seen that done in a film before (or since in fact)? The way the camera follows the stuntman all the way down before he ever so smoothly takes his gun out is great.

As you say the stuff in LALD doesn't really impress as much now. The bunjee jump still looks spectacular.
    9 vs 10 for me. LALD wins by the virtue of Jane Seymour.
    Have to go with Moore first outing.

List of rating.
    LALD - 11
    GE - 17
    BAIN123 wrote:
    In fairness it's a bunjee jump off one bloody high damn. When have you seen that done in a film before (or since in fact)? The way the camera follows the stuntman all the way down before he ever so smoothly takes his gun out is great.

As you say the stuff in LALD doesn't really impress as much now. The bunjee jump still looks spectacular.

I~f I wanted to watch bungy jumps - I would go to Battersea Park. It never has the sense that Bond is in peril.

actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I~f I wanted to watch bungy jumps - I would go to Battersea Park. It never has the sense that Bond is in peril.

No but its a cracking way to open a movie (especially after a 6 year gap). AND, as far as I know, Battersea Park doesn't have anything resembling Verzasca damn.
  • oo7oo7
    Cigar while shaving
    Lasouing a thug, shoving him down some steps and calmly wiping his brow.
  • The alligator stroll, the world record boat chase, a youthful but assured debut from Roger Moore, Jane Seymour (probably worth the vote alone), the utterly different feel to the film provided by the voodoo element, superb score, strong villains.... it was the film that proved that there was life after the great Connery. Bond was back to stay.

Goldeneye was good too, but, as Rog's Bond would say to Rosie Carver, while brandishing a gun in her face: "Make your choice." I've made mine.

Live And Let Die

• oo7oo7
    I enjoy them both I was not really taking sides. Goldeneye is funny though because its obviously gone through so many rewrites that it has become somewhere a hash. for one thing i never enjoyed the fact Bond just stumbled onto xenia then started stalking her for no reason, fair enough he was onto something but outside of her "pulling rank" im sure he had other crap tobe getting on with. you know at the craps table.
    "He's going to derail us!"
    The alligator stroll, t

You know for sheer bravado the caribbean crocodile/alligator jump takes the biscuit. Its such an outrageous idea but is pulled off with aplomb. The music sells the scene as well as the eyes appear above the water watching him.

And anyone who has the DVD knows the story of Ross Kananga and the crocodiles.

• Agreed on the crocs. There is a lovely moment just before it when Bond thinks he has found the answer to this awkward situation in the magnetic watch on his wrist. It starts to pull the boat near the bank, towards him, but it is tied up. Rog's face falls, and, obviously, more drastic measures are called for....

That was an era when the Bond Team were extraordinarily audacious and daring with ideas, and they also had the people to make them work. Watching the takes of Ross Kananga slipping during the croc stunt is startling.

It was all very well executed. Was it Rog's idea to wear 'crocodile shoes' during the scene? He regretted it almost immediately.
  • oo7oo7
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,068
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gX3wGWHRlXQ?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gX3wGWHRlXQ?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    You know what. I'd completely forgotten about the alligator bit...shame on me.

I'll give LALD that one ;)

Still...I just enjoy GE more overall.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    18-14, still GE's favor.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 23,553
    actonsteve wrote:
    As for GE's stunts? That bungy jump is hardly dangerous. The audience knows he is attached to an elastic band.

That makes it no less impressive, friend. ;-) Given the enormous height from which the jumping is done, I'd say - in all fairness - it's pretty darn dangerous this. :-)
    If its not dangerous are you saying someone like you could do it @actonsteve? :p

I'd have thought a stunt like that would involve a lot of careful planning prior to it being carried out.

Theres a similar 'supervised' stunt in the PTS of TLD when they skydive into gibraltar. We presume the stuntmen have parachutes.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    If its not dangerous are you saying someone like you could do it @actonsteve? :p

I'd have thought a stunt like that would involve a lot of careful planning prior to it being carried out.

I have done bungyjumping. Its not dangerous. You are bouncing up and down on a big elastic band.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    ITheres a similar 'supervised' stunt in the PTS of TLD when they skydive into gibraltar. We presume the stuntmen have parachutes.

But it is not meant to be perilous. Its an exercise. The bungy jump is a big showpiece stunt. But at no point is Bond in any danger. Compare it with the QoS PTS where he is driving for his life.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I have done bungyjumping. Its not dangerous. You are bouncing up and down on a big elastic band.

Have you bungee jumped off a damn as high as the one in GE (220 metres apparently)? I haven't, I don't think all that many people have.

AND don't even DARE claim that the OCD PTS in QoS is superior to the one in GE :p Bond is in danger all right - from the editor :D
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Have you bungee jumped off a damn as high as the one in GE (220 metres apparently)? I haven't, I don't think all that many people have.

AND don't even DARE claim that the OCD PTS in QoS is superior to the one in GE :p Bond is in danger all right - from the editor.

I've bungee jumped before, and I'd still be sh*t scared jumping of the GE dam. It was a great stunt, and yes it was dangerous, it even set a record I think.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,492
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

AND don't even DARE claim that the OCD PTS in QoS is superior to the one in GE :p Bond is in danger all right - from the editor.

Ooooohhh I have been bitchslapped...

Batman-Bitch-Slap.jpg
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Batman-Bitch-Slap.jpg

As the former real-life spouse of Christmas Jones says - WINNING :))

=)) =)) =))
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Batman-Bitch-Slap.jpg

As the former real-life spouse of Christmas Jones says - WINNING :))

=)) =)) =))

I wish Charlie never became a nutcase. Two and a Half Men just isn't the same without him.
  • Live and Let Die it has to be using the following maths:

Great Bond actor + great Bond performance + great action sequences + great plot + great villains + great locations + amazingly great and fantastic Bond girl = a great bond movie.

Anything other than a LALD is criminal negligence surely?
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Neither does the plane chase in LALD, except maybe when he's running away from Kananga's thugs and the truck passing by saves him from getting shot. Other than that, no real danger, I didn't feel it. I thought the jump off the dam in the PTS was far more dangerous, if that cable had snapped or had malfunctioned, whew! That'd be a LONG way down!
    Just found out a nice bit of trivia. The stuntman in the GE PTS sequence temporarily passed out as he was falling but STILL managed to get that gun out.

Trooper.
    LALD all the way!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    LALD, it has a better sense of style. And is a better " first " film then GE.