Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Thunderball by quite some distance
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And TB comes back a swingin'. :)
    One of the things that bugs me about LTK is how dirt cheap it often looks. Something you cannot say about TB is that it looks cheap.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I love both these films. LTK has so many plus points it's hard to list them. Dalton, some of the best villians of the series, spectacular action, a harder more shocking Bond film.
    But then TB is a true classic of the series. The first Bond epic if you ask me. Connery was never cooler. The locale is stunning, the women are stunning, the film is...stunning, and as much as I love LTK, TB is the winner this round.
    i like both, but i prefer TB better
  • Thunderball in the easiest decision, for me, of the whole thread. Classic Connery against the disappointing LTK.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    License to Kill
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TB

The classic Bond.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    And TB comes back a swingin'. :)

:((

There's still time, Kill could make a comeback.
    TB a true epic!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    TB has Domino...

LTK.
    LTK. Better narrative, took me 5 goes to get through TB.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TB
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TB has Domino...

LTK.
    Why don't you like Domino Major??

:O
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TB has Domino...

LTK.

Anything that doesn't feature Dalton is a no-no for him :p
    TB has Domino...

LTK.

Oh hell nah... >:/

Looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt needs kidnapping again.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Two middling Bonds, but I'll choose TB.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    TB has Domino...

LTK.

let's face it, @Major can't stand Moore's, Brosnan's, Craig's and Lazenby's outings - that's 14 out of 22 films............. :!!
    TB has Domino...

LTK.

let's face it, @Major can't stand Moore's, Brosnan's, Craig's and Lazenby's outings - that's 14 out of 22 films............. :!!
    What about Sean?
    He likes Sean.
  • While I really like both films I am going to give the edge to TB. LTK is though a film that has grown on me in the last few years. TB though has all the classic Bond film elements. Great John Barry score, exotic locations, great scope photography, classic villains, gorgeous Bond girls and a better story. I think TB does have some pacing issues and the underwater action can be a bit tiresome but it gets my vote. LTK though does have one of the best Bond V's Villain finales...
    He likes Sean.

He is half forgiven. :)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Both are Bond films I hold in high regard (to varying degrees), but it is Thunderball that I hold higher!

5. Thunderball (1965) - 8.5/10
    6. The Living Daylights (1987) - 8.5/10
    7. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) - 8.5/10
    8. GoldenEye (1995) - 8/10
    9. License to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,894

I do, she's my 2nd favourite Bond Girl character wise, but 1st in terms of looks. :x I meant that Domino is one of the few aspects of TB I like, compared to almost everying in LTK.

Ok, I give in...

I also like Lazenby, Moore, Brosnan and i'm a huge fan of Craig. AVTAK is the best Bond film, M needs more screentime in all future Bonds, and should also be played by the best M ever- Dench. Also, I want Craig to play Bond all the way to age 65. And lastly, there's nothing wrong with QOS's editing.

I think that should suffice. Now, release the missus.

;)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    B-R-U-T-A-L. I love both films.

Thunderball was the first Bond film I ever saw and is great. But Licence To Kill takes Bond into new territory not seen again (sadly) until the Craig era. Yes, Celi and Paluzzi are great villains, but they have nothing on Davi and DelToro in the level of brutality they bring to the equation and the way they are dispatched by Bond is better. TB has the better score easily but it isn't Barry's best work by any means. Locations are about equal, both mainly taking place in the tropics. Better girls in TB for sure. What makes me rank TB lower (#7) vs LTK (#3) is the slow pacing and too much underwater action that almost makes me feel waterlogged. In LTK, Bond has to ultimately rely on his wits rather than MI6 and the tanker chase had me on the edge of my seat waiting to see how Bond would finally take down Sanchez, made even better by using Felix and Della's gift to exact revenge. So in a VERY tough decision, Licence To Kill just entertains me a little bit more and that's my reluctant vote.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    He likes Sean.

He is half forgiven. :)

I must admit that the Major has great taste in Sean and Tim. Hopefully SkyFall will help him to see that their true successor has arrived. Despite his humorous yet sarcastic reply, I still have hope for him ;)

I do, she's my 2nd favourite Bond Girl character wise, but 1st in terms of looks. :x I meant that Domino is one of the few aspects of TB I like, compared to almost everying in LTK.

Ok, I give in...

I also like Lazenby, Moore, Brosnan and i'm a huge fan of Craig. AVTAK is the best Bond film, M needs more screentime in all future Bonds, and should also be played by the best M ever- Dench. Also, I want Craig to play Bond all the way to age 65. And lastly, there's nothing wrong with QOS's editing.

I think that should suffice. Now, release the missus.

;)
    Good to hear. Claudine was a stunner, and you have good taste in liking Tim. He never screwed up the character or made him a fairy like some have done. And yes, the chains are off once again.
    LTK. TB is fifth in my list of Sean movies.
    Getafix wrote:
    LTK. TB is fifth in my list of Sean movies.

If you are counting NSNA I hope it beats out YOLT and DAF for you. :-S
    This one is eassy, as I said before LTK is so overrated:
    20. Licence To Kill
    19. You Only Live Twice
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    17. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever
    15.The World Is Not Enough
    14. Goldfinger
    13. The Living Daylights
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball