Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 14,895
    It might have a geriatric cast, and be one film to many for Sir Rog (if that's possible?), but AVTAK wins this round for me.
    MR is huge fun, and almost gets the vote, but Bond was never supposed to venture into space, and have laser battles. Top notch entertainement, and never dull, with a haunting score from John Barry.
    But View is also an enjoyable 80's Bond film...and the winner.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I was gonna say AVTAK when it was up against Quantum (even if Roger was too old, it still has a better villian, feels more like Bond, funner, no Bourne style editing, the plot was better, and M isn't overused).

Still AVTAK. I like MR, most of it is a fun, enjoyable film, I can get past the space stuff, nobody cared at the time. But I hate the Jaws/Dolly relationship. Ruined the character.
  • AVTAK without question, it beats MR in most every category I can think of and is infinitely more enjoyable.
    Moonraker. As ridiculous as it is, it is at least still entertaining in ways the AVTAK is not. The latter just falls apart in too many places for me.
    This is a tough one. I choose Moonraker based on it's production value alone. Plus it would be the last time we saw Bernard Lee as M.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2012 Posts: 4,043
    MR vs VTAK

The winner is neither because they are both utter rubbish.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Can we please have FRWL vs FYEO next? Or has that been done before?
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Difficult one but I'd probably go for MR simply because of the "Flight into Space" sountrack.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    This is a near tie for me. Both films, along with LALD and LTK, are ranked near the bottom of the 'classic' era of Bond films (1962-1989) for me. I'll have to give the edge to <b>MR</b>, for being more colorful: better locations, better cinematography, better direction, Roger Moore is in better shape, about equal looking girls though...
    Can we please have FRWL vs FYEO next? Or has that been done before?

No, it hasn't been done, and yes, I will make that the next round once this one is finished.
    Moonraker, only because AVTAK is utter crap!
    Moonraker, only because AVTAK is utter crap!

What don't you like about A View to a Kill? It's my third favorite quite honestly!
  • Walken and Gray are awesome and I think they steal the movie from everyone. Drax and Jaws? Like watching paint dry.
    Walken and Gray are awesome and I think they steal the movie from everyone. Drax and Jaws? Like watching paint dry.

Exactly, I wish I had come up with that analogy, because that's spot-on! Hugo Drax is the most boring Bond villain of all time, and by Moonraker, Jaws was simply unacceptably goofy.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    My other analogy was splattering a hunk of oatmeal on the wall and waiting to see how long before it dropped to the floor or just stayed there.

Drax is incredibly monotone and boring IMHO. I like the occasional tight lipped smile like when he thinks he has Bond in the airlock chamber, but otherwise the villains and all of the women except for Manuela (Emily Bolton) are awful. Throw in a gazillion unnecessary sound and sight gags and you get a movie that barely functions as a Bond film past the usual characters. My thought- if you're going to complain that QOS is too much like Bourne, then just admit that MR is a Helm/Flint/Star Wars ripoff instead of taking some hypocritical stance

I'm too objective to lazily fall back on "it's Moore and Barry" and thus it's automatically better. As flawed as QOS is, it's a masterpiece compared to MR.

Moonraker by a very clear and distinguishing distance. I would rather look directly into the sun than watch A View to a Kill sometimes
    Moonraker by a very clear and distinguishing distance. I would rather look directly into the sun than watch A View to a Kill sometimes

Fair enough, although AVTAK has better villains, better women, and I like the soundtrack better too. Other than locations and a particularly heroic performance from Sir Roger to rescue the film, MR is DAD 23 years earlier.

Fair enough, although AVTAK has better villains, better women, and I like the soundtrack better too. Other than locations and a particularly heroic performance from Sir Roger to rescue the film, MR is DAD 23 years earlier.

And another thing, AVTAK is much darker and serious-toned than MR ever was, and I believe that for all those Fleming fans, they should be glad that AVTAK took this stance, whereas MR was practically a stand-up comedy in many places. Sure, it has its great Bondish moments like the PTS, the fight with Chang, and the scenes at Drax's Amazon temple, but overall, AVTAK stands up much better. When May Day kills Sir Godfrey and Chuck Lee, those are some of the most frightening and tense scenes of the series, and of course everybody knows about Zorin gunning down his workers in the flooding mine. Add that to May Day's sacrifice and the big finale on the GGB, and you've got yourself one thrill-ride of a Bond movie! I never have understood the criticism.
    I can watch Moonraker all the way through and never get bored, that simply doesn't happen with AVTAK, Granted, Chiles and Roberts are two of the worst bond girls in the series, but Drax is such a good adversary, Walken was a bit wasted in the other, an actor of his caliber, just seemed out of place

Moonraker has one of the top three teasers of the franchise, AVTAK is just plain unmitigated nonsense in that department, although I hate the Jaws flapping like a bird and falling on the circus tent, but apart from that, it's hard to beat. Moore plays the fool in both releases, I couldn't choose between the least slapstick, but the 1979 Moore entry just holds the attention and keeps you busy, AVTAK fails miserably with regards to that
    @Baltimore_007: I've always heavily enjoyed AVTAK's PTS, in fact it's one of the best parts of the movie for me.
    Sorry Beast but it's pure nonsense for me, not all the way through you understand, but I simply have a hard time watching Bond doing somersaults and fancy leaps on skis to The Beach Boys, it is cringeworthy to the extreme

Moonraker has some great atmospheric music throughout and the free fall sequence is no exception, only let down by the stupid circus music near the very end
    This one is tricky MR features Rog in his prime, as mentioned the locations and score are superb but I think some bits and the bit in space are a bit too silly, even for me so I will go for AVTAK
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MR
    Sorry Beast but it's pure nonsense for me, not all the way through you understand, but I simply have a hard time watching Bond doing somersaults and fancy leaps on skis to The Beach Boys, it is cringeworthy to the extreme

Moonraker has some great atmospheric music throughout and the free fall sequence is no exception, only let down by the stupid circus music near the very end

I understand the sentiment about "California Girls" (it isn't the Beach Boys version by the way) sneaking in there, but this kind of nonsense was normal for the Moore era. How much of it we got depended on the script. Otherwise, the MR PTS was dreck of the highest degree the minute Bond appeared. He can take the likes of Red Grant but can't beat up a ordinary looking pilot and take his parachute? And the freefall? The circus music was just the cherry on top of an otherwise unbelievable sequence. No amount of great music can save that mess, I'll take ski stunts any day because at least that can be done within a frame of reality.

Helm, Flint, Powers movies are fun. Doesn't make them great movies, let alone great Bond movies.

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    MR-15
    AVTAK-7
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MR-16
    AVTAK-7
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    It's been 3 days. I think this round can be safely called in favor of MR. When's the next round, 00Beast?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    MR.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    MR, but I really don't like either one much. Except for Barrys scores.
    It's been 3 days. I think this round can be safely called in favor of MR. When's the next round, 00Beast?

Sorry about that, it's been hectic the last few days, forgive me! And yes, I'd say that Moonraker wins this one easily, such a pity that no more votes were cast for A View to a Kill.

Okay, here's the next round:

Diamonds Are Forever vs. Die Another Day