Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Diamonds Are Forever
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Die Another Day for me, because even though it's one of my least favourite entries, it's at least a fair bit entertaining for the first hour, and I really like the PTS and the Sword fight is better than anything in Diamonds Are Forever, which, I'm sorry to say, I find quite dull and lazy. They're both low on my rankings though.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    I find even the comparison insulting...

<b>Diamonds Are Forever</b> by a Blofeld dynomite sized avalanche.
    Neither.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Final tally:
    MR-18
    AVTAK-7
    I'm very happy with that result :\">

As for this round, Sean and Jill easily beat Pierce and Halle:

Diamonds Are Forever

Sorry PKK, I feel quite the opposite and am very unhappy with that result

:O
    JBFan626 wrote:

It's not a comparison, trust me! I was just always curious to see how people felt about which of these two was better. They're sort of similiar in plot, they both feature the last of their Bond actor (not counting NSNA), and they are both generally disliked by fans. I love DAF though, it's so entertaining!
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 299
    Both are silly as hell. Yet both are still fun in their own way. However, I pick Diamonds Are Forever because I have a lot more fun with it than with DAD. The dialogue is infinitely better and wittier, and that makes it more worthwhile for me. Also, Connery (albeit over the hill) over Brosnan certainly helps.
    Hmmm, neither are top drawer but DAF is funny is intentionally (i think??) so DAF it is!
    Okay, I think we can call this one about now. It is definitely clear that Diamonds Are Forever is our winner!

Here's our next match-up, and I'm hoping it'll be closer than the last one:

Goldfinger vs. For Your Eyes Only
    GF is from the classic era and obviously features Sir Sean at the top of his game but as FYEO currently features in my top 2 and has one of Sir Rog's best performances, it's got to be FYEO.
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only

It trumps Goldfinger in every respect, except for maybe the villains. Everything else though, like soundtrack, locations, Bond, action, and pacing all blow GF out of the water.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Goldfinger, easily. Connery in his prime, superior villains, more exciting climax, its cultural significance, John Barry score, golden '60s-era ambience all make it the superior film.
    Goldfinger
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Goldfinger beats For Your Eyes Only easily. Connery at his best, one of the best Bond girls, one of the best villains and one of the best henchmen. It's the film that skyrocketed Bond's popularity. It has that gorgeous Barry score, and the cinematography is excellent.

FYEO pales in comparison, while it's still a good entry. Bill Conti's score is horribly dated, the villain wasn't very memorable, and the climax is a bit....dull.

Goldfinger.
    I'm not watching FYEO again until this weekend but based on memory I'll go with Goldfinger
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Goldfinger

FYEO is the worst Bond movie to date, IMHO.
  • While FYEO is a great entry and for my money, Moore's finest performance, Goldfinger is quintessential, iconic, and the king of Bond films.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    FYEO is a fun but serious film, Moore gives a great performance and there's some great action in there, but I hate the way they killed of Blofeld, and for me, FYEO is a bit forgettable compared to some of Moore's other films.

Goldfinger is fun but serious, Connery is amazing, there's hot girls, a great henchman, a good villian, great action, the title song is kind of meh (yeah I said it), but overall a great film which inspired almost all the other Bond films, and without it, the series might not even be around today.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    FYEO because it's not Goldfinger. I despise Goldfinger. This is well documented.
    Goldfinger, but not by much. FYEO is #6 on my list, just behind Goldfinger at #5.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    00Beast wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:

It's not a comparison, trust me! I was just always curious to see how people felt about which of these two was better. They're sort of similiar in plot, they both feature the last of their Bond actor (not counting NSNA), and they are both generally disliked by fans. I love DAF though, it's so entertaining!

That was just hyperbole @00Beast, to show my overwhelming fanfare for DAF and my utter disdain for DAD. (I'm not really insulted) :)>-

You're right, there are some similarities there for sure: diamonds, satellites, a more over the top approach, and both (I'm afraid to admit) have rather cheesy special effects. DAF though fits into the classic era of Bond as far as I'm concerned, has Connery and is a personal favorite! Actually it's more about how cringeworthy DAD is for me.
    00Beast wrote:
    Goldfinger vs. For Your Eyes Only

<b>Goldfinger</b>

When I think of GF, I think of the most iconic Bond film of the series, and iconography that represents 20th century film history. Connery has swagger in this (maybe too much?), we get some hilarious one-liners ("shocking...positively shocking," "I must be dreaming"), a very classy John Barry score--sure Shirley Bassey may oversing it a bit, but damn is it ever sassy, Ken Adam's set in Fort Knox looks great.

I also think GF offers a truly interesting take on the Fleming story. In the novel, Goldfinger merely wanted to steal the gold, but in the film there is an ingenous plan to radiate the gold leaving the powers that be paralyzed. I also like the twist of having Pussy change sides and save the day at the last minute. There are some hokey moments played for jokes, but on the whole, the film nicely balances suspense and humor.

FYEO has grown on me, but just can't compete with GF on an iconic level.

I am rather flattered that FYEO is up against the iconic gem that is GF. That is, of course, the movies are meant to be evenly matched.

As an eighties boy it has to be FYEO. But as my recent thread said I do adore le digit D'or.
    FYEO.
    Goldfinger, one of my favorites.
    I don't think FYEO is a bad one, but as far as my taste goes I've never like it very much.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Certainly FYEO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FYEO.
    Current score is 11-7 in favor of Goldfinger, but For Your Eyes Only is making a remarkable comeback!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    00Beast wrote:
    Current score is 11-7 in favor of Goldfinger, but For Your Eyes Only is making a remarkable comeback!

Yeah, I noticed a lot of votes in favor of FYEO in the past few posts. I really do love Goldfinger, and it contains a lot of iconic moments, but the scene with Locque's death and the finale of FYEO totally do it for me. Really enjoyable.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GF may be the iconic Bond film, with many memorable scenes and lines. But I must confess to finding it rather boring for much of the film. Still has a certain Bondian value that would be impossible to disperse completely, but for this round I'm going to vote for the underdog.
    FYEO wins.