Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Most importantly, the villains and their scheme are a lot stronger and more suspenseful in OP.

You hit the nail on the head there.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    OP
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Not surprisingly, OHMSS beat Dr. No...I would not agree, but they two great Bond films nonetheless.

Anyway...

Ask me a year ago and I would have said For Your Eyes Only ten times over. However, due to a recent Bond-a-thon and some recent Bond list shake-ups, I'm giving this one to Octopussy, my favorite Roger Moore film. Now, it's a very close match but OP edges FYEO out for having a better, more engaging plot and better villains. The George of the Jungle wail is UNFORGIVABLE, the "SITTTTT" is dumb as is that hot air balloon, but there other elements that somewhat counter-balance all of that to make OP the better film. That all being said, neither are great Bond films. Solid, yes.

12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    OP
    For Your Eyes Only
  • I love both...but the appearance of Thatcher in FYEO means there is only one winner

Octopussy
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,778
    After 2 over the top spectacles in TSWLM and MR it was really refreshing to see these 2 more serious Bond films with Roger Moore. A few years ago I might have choose FYEO but my vote goes to Octopussy. Better villans, better leading lady, John Barry, and a good mix of both fun and seriousness.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Both are great Moore films but my favorite is For Your Eyes Only.
    For Your Eyes Only

Moore plays it straight, it's enough to win the round, gets my appreciation etc
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Octopussy because I like Pussy more than Eyes.

Two of my favourites..but of the two..

FYEO
    I'ts hard, but I go with Octopussy...
    7. For Your Eyes Only
    6. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    5. Dr. No
    4. Octopussy
  • Difficult this. FYEO is probably the better film, but Octopussy always leaves me with a huge smile on my face after a viewing (probably more so than any other Bond film).

Head says FYEO, heart says Octopussy......

Dash it all!

Octopussy (just barely...tomorrow I'd probably say FYEO)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Octopussy
    Kerim wrote:
    Octopussy because I like Pussy more than Eyes.

Hello Rog, how are you these days? ;)
  • This is a heartbreaking duel! After OHMSS these two are my favorite Bond films. They're both extremely strong. However, FYEO barely edges OP as my second best Bond entry.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A no brainer for Octobenny.

Octopussy it is then.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    FYEO 14-7, OP's favor.
  • I'll take FYEO, although I think Orlov is awesome.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FYEO, though I love OP.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've always found OP a decided improvement upon its immediate predecessor. John Barry is back for one. It has more humor than FYEO but with Sir Rog in the lead that's a plus in my book. Maud Adams makes a far more believable romantic interest for Moore than Carole Bouquet did. Most importantly, the villains and their scheme are a lot stronger and more suspenseful in OP.

OP solidly gets my vote this round.

I would’ve agreed before, but For Your Eyes Only has been growing in my estimation. Although it is close, mind you. ;)
    OP. Fun film but also has a great cold war plot, a memorable henchman and plenty of cool moments.

FYEO is ok, but it's pretty forgettable and they gave Blofeld a crap death. Moore is great in both films.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    For me this is the toughest one yet. Both feature solid performances from Rog and both have some nice action and location pieces with pretty strong casts all around. Both sit around 9 or 10 in my personal rankings--pretty solid entries, but not quite 'classic'.

I'd have to tip my hat in favor of OP though. It's more of the complete package: the perfect balance of spy intrigue blended with humour, there's also a classic John Barry score, there's a more exciting finale, and the plot on the whole relies less on action scene filler than FYEO. Plus overall, there's a more relaxed and re-assured performance by Moore. OP it is.
    People talk about OP being "a return to the silliness". They clearly forgot about the PTS and final scene of FYEO.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    BAIN123 wrote:
    People talk about OP being "a return to the silliness". They clearly forgot about the PTS and final scene of FYEO.

And Bibi Dahl.

FYEO wins. Sir Roger Moore best Bond movie.

List of ratings.
    FYEO - 6.
    OP - 16.
    BAIN123 wrote:

And Bibi Dahl.

And the hockey scene.

This is actually rather difficult for me, so I'll have to do the old tried and true versus method:

007 Performance: FYEO
    Action: OP for a more entertaining climax
    Locations: FYEO
    Villains: OP- Kamal Khan is very under-rated
    Soundtrack: FYEO
    Bond Girls: OP
    Humor: OP
    Gadgets: OP
    Allies: FYEO
    Epic Bond Moments: FYEO

A tie- I think I'll pass on this one!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    16-10, still OP's favor.
    I go with For Your Eyes Only hands down. Though I enjoy Octopussy and consider it more fun, FYEO takes itself more seriously and delivers more dramatic punch. It's not perfect by any means, but for a while now I've considered it the best of the Moore's. I know many may disagree and put Spy at the top, but FYEO has the better story in my opinion. There is real drama and good characters (Bibi Dahl notwithstanding), and it just feels more organic. Closest to the Fleming Bond than anything else Sir Roger did. And St. Cyril's rock climbing set piece offers much more tension and suspense than anything else in Octopussy.