Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Dr. No

For one reason, it isn't OHMSS, which is by far the worst in the series! As for other things, Sean Connery whoops the pants off of George Lazenby (as does any Bond actor), the pacing is better, Dr. No is more interesting than Savalas Blofeld, though he's a great villain too, Dr. No had better henchmen, and I just generally find Dr. No more engaging than On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    OHMSS. I'll take the Angels of Death over the Crabs of Death.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Kerim wrote:
    OHMSS. I'll take the Angels of Death over the Crabs of Death.

Well it depends on the woman, as far as death and the crabs go. ;)
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Both are great entries but OHMSS is just bigger and better in almost everyway. It's so good I can put up with Lazenby's shortcomings in the role because everyone else really pulled out the stops.

4-3 in favor DN so far. I've got a strong feeling that this round will be neck-and-neck.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    OHMSS. At one time, I would have said but DN but OHMSS's qualities have grown on me over the years. I find it the more epic of the 2 films. Both are golden-era classics though.
    Dr No without question, it was an easy choice
    OHMSS
    OHMSS!
    DN is an absolutly classic... but I've always found it a little slow.
    This one is really hard, they're both in my top 10.
    6. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    5. Dr. No
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    A tough call but in the end there can only be one winner when the Laz is in town.

Epic action, stunning Barry score, fantastic locations, one of Flemings best stories and George Lazenby.

OHMSS - indubitably
    While I favour Connery over Laz I'd have to go for OHMSS. The reasons have already been stated above.
    Dr No for me, it's just a better film for me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Yet another tough choice. But simply because it's always been one of my favourites...

O.H.M.S.S
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Everything Connery did or said was superior to Lazenby, Dr.No was a superior villain and the Bond girls were a lot more sexually appealing in Dr.No but I'm going to have to give the win to OHMSS. There's a lot more going on, better action, has an epic scope and as a movie, it has the luxury of using Dr.No as a template
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OHMSS

I love both films but Majesty's the one that's brought me most joy over the years.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    11-7 in favor of OHMSS. I honestly don't think OHMSS has ever lost a round. It might be the overall most popular Bond film amongst the MI6 community.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    DN by far.

Have FRWL and OHMSS faced eath other yet?
    OHMSS
    My ranking is like this:
    1. OHMSS
    10. Dr No

So definitely OHMSS.
  • Possible battles (not sure if they have already been done though)
    )
    YOLT v TSWLM (Similar plot themes)
    DAF v DAD (In effect the same plotline)
    AVTAK v QOS (Neither seem that popular on the forum)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    <b>OHMSS</b>
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DN
  • 00Beast wrote:
    Dr. No had better henchmen

Interesting...I didn't think Dr. No had any real henchmen...Dent was ok I guess. I liked Irma Bunt, she was really menacing in a calm way though think she was under-used in the film somewhat. Shame Ilse Steppat, the actress who played her, died shortly after the release of OHMSS as it would have been intriguing if they would have used her in DAF.

14-9 for OHMSS.
    DN by far.

Have FRWL and OHMSS faced eath other yet?

Im pretty sure they have.
    Possible battles (not sure if they have already been done though)
    )
    YOLT v TSWLM (Similar plot themes)
    DAF v DAD (In effect the same plotline)
    AVTAK v QOS (Neither seem that popular on the forum)

I think the only one there that hasnt been done is YOLT vs. TSWLM.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 774
    Dr No.

These are getting tough. DN is my fifth favourite, OHMSS my sixth.
  • It is very difficult for me to vote against an early Connery movie. No other Bond actor projected the same mixture of elegance and menace. As Bond, Lazenby is heavily over-matched here. OHMSS is a beautiful film, and I rate it very highly; it's just that every time I watch it, I always reflect on what an interested Connery would have made of it.

The birth of a film legend started here.

A vote for Dr No
    Underneath the mango tree
    Me honey and me can watch for the moon
    Underneath the mango tree
    Me honey and me make boolooloop soon

Dr No
    Both are my 'type' of Bond movies. Pure class from start to finish.

OHMSS just wins my vote in a veryyyyyyyyy tough round.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    My #6 versus my #8- very hard choice between two important entries but I give a slight nod to OHMSS.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DN 16-13, and a shout out to all those who picked up my slack while I was offline.