Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited May 2012 Posts: 3,262
    JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    People talk about OP being "a return to the silliness". They clearly forgot about the PTS and final scene of FYEO.

And Bibi Dahl.

And the hockey scene.

And the mysterious wine drinking Italian tourist from TSWLM and MR.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    People talk about OP being "a return to the silliness". They clearly forgot about the PTS and final scene of FYEO.

And Bibi Dahl.

And the hockey scene.

And the moment when Bond ski's past the students and they all fall over (a gag re-used in GE actually).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    16-11, still for OP. C'mon, where's the FYEO love?
    Octopussy Second best Moore Bond after TSWLM.
  • I go with For Your Eyes Only hands down. Though I enjoy Octopussy and consider it more fun, FYEO takes itself more seriously and delivers more dramatic punch. It's not perfect by any means, but for a while now I've considered it the best of the Moore's. I know many may disagree and put Spy at the top, but FYEO has the better story in my opinion. There is real drama and good characters (Bibi Dahl notwithstanding), and it just feels more organic. Closest to the Fleming Bond than anything else Sir Roger did. And St. Cyril's rock climbing set piece offers much more tension and suspense than anything else in Octopussy.

The whole Germany sequence in OCtopussy is the most consistently tense scenes in the Bond series, culminating in a paniced and tension-filled finale in the circus
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I totally agree with @Signed_By_RogerMoore, the Germany sequence in OP is one of the greatest sequences in the entire franchise.
  • For me its got to be FYEO. Probably contains Sir Rogers best performance as Bond. Apart from the weird PTS I think it is quite a strong Bond film. Great locations, well choreographed action set pieces (i still think the ski chase is one of the best action set pieces ever in a Bond film - the ski chase in TWINE is just incredibly dull by comparison!), Sir Roger kicking the mercerdes over the cliff, interesting supporting characters and a great climax. I even like the Bill Conti score!...It does have the wine drinking tourist - but doesn't have Sir Roger swinging from the vines doing a Tarzan impression or saying sit to a tiger...ok...so it does have an silly sequence with Mrs Thatcher and Denis.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    BAIN123 wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

And Bibi Dahl.

And the hockey scene.

And the moment when Bond ski's past the students and they all fall over (a gag re-used in GE actually).

Indeed. Plus "stingin' in the rain", "I love a drive in the country, don't you?", and "a nose not a banana, Q" kind of put to rest the whole myth that FYEO is the "token serious film during the otherwise silly Moore era".

• BAIN123 wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

And Bibi Dahl.

And the hockey scene.

Indeed. Plus "stingin' in the rain", "I love a drive in the country, don't you?", and "a nose not a banana, Q" kind of put to rest the whole myth that FYEO is the "token serious film during the otherwise silly Moore era".

I actually like the line "I love a drive in the country"...

However. FYEO does not have the tennis match aboard the TUKTUKS (i am not sure if they are called TUKTUKS in India) and the crowds heads going from left to right. Don't get me wrong. I love both films - and most of Sir Rogers. Its just that I think FYEO is the better. Sometimes though there are certain "gags" that are so OTT...
    @nobodydoesitbetter: Agreed, I've always winced in humiliating pain when watching the tuk-tuk taxi scene and the crowds move their heads back and forth from the tennis blows. It's one of the dumbest gags in the entire series.
    FYEO
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    17-12, OP's still in the lead.
    17-12, OP's still in the lead.

That's where we'll close this one, thanks for the scores update! OP has triumphed over FYEO. Now to begin the next round! I'll be taking requests if anyone has one, and the first person to get their request in will be our next round.
    How about GoldenEye vs Live and Let Die...
    WVPoef wrote:
    How about GoldenEye vs Live and Let Die...

It can be done! That's a good one too, thanks for the request!

All right, you heard the man, the next round is:

Live and Let Die vs. GoldenEye
  • Both are excellent movies, but I rank LALD higher. Better Bond and the best non-Barry soundtrack.
    I am afraid I have never been a fan of GE and the beatification it gets from some posters on here makes me love it less.

LALD just has that touch of magic..

"Morning sir....what a beautiful day....what a beauoootiful day......he's heading for the ridge.."

"If he finds it, kill him..."
  • This is a tough one. But my gut reaction was to go with LALD. I think both films are excellent but LALD has (in my opinion)...a great Bond, better villains, a better theme song, a better use of locations...or maybe I need to watch GE more. It boils down to this. If someone says which Bond film do you want to watch right now LALD or GE...i'll pick LALD...

• I also forgot to mention that GE has the worst score in the history of Bond films and LALD has a great score by George Martin.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    GE
  • I also forgot to mention that GE has the worst score in the history of Bond films and LALD has a great score by George Martin.

Ditto that, of course ;))
    Let me be the proud first to vote for GoldenEye, the greatest 007 Movie of all time! It beats LALD in action, Bond himself, the girls, and the villains.
    This one's tough. I don't love either of them. <b>LALD</b> though takes it. A fine first performance by Roger Moore--I love the scene where he puts out the cigar while para-gliding! More exotic locations with a good sense of geography. Great music too! George Martin does an excellent job. Paul McCartney's title tune is tops. While I like Serra's score and TIna Turner's tune, they are not quite as joyous as LALD offerings. I also don't like the look and feel of 90's movies either, which GE definitely has. LALD has the advantage with Ted Moore running cinematography. To GE's credit, there are some nice action pieces, a fun femme fatale in Xenia, and a great main villain. But LALD is just more colorful and escapist for my tastes.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    00Beast wrote:
    Let me be the proud first to vote for GoldenEye,

Not quite, old boy.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    If it wasn’t for Sheriff Pepper, Live And Let Die would beat GoldenEye. Unfortunately, it has, so…

GoldenEye
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    GE
    It's gonna be GoldenEye for me. I just think the film holds together a little more steadily...
    royale65 wrote:
    If it wasn’t for Sheriff Pepper, Live And Let Die would beat GoldenEye. Unfortunately, it has, so…

GoldenEye
    Perhaps it is not as extreme for me, but the inclusion of Sheriff Pepper does indeed hurt LALD also.

8. GoldenEye (1995) - 8/10
    9. License to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
    10. You Only Live Twice (1967) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    15. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Goldeneye. More entertaining, more quotable dialogue, better cast of characters, better title song (yes!), a more gutsy Bond girl and the absence of Sheriff Pepper.

"Walther PPK. 7.65mm only three men I know use such a gun I....believe Ive killed 2 of them"

LALD is ok though.
    This one is hard:
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball
    10. Quantum Of Solace
    9. Goldeneye
    but I'll have to go with GoldenEye. Better villain and villainess as well as a better bond girl, that makes the difference IMO
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Easy. GE