Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Re-watched GE again yesterday. Really enjoyed it. If PB had only done GE, I think the abuse he gets on forums would be almost non-existant. For me, it's his best. They pulled out all the stops to try and create a classic Bond feel to it, and I think they suceeded. Unlike LALD, GE makes it into my top 10 and gets my vote here.

I'd also say both these films have the best non-Barry scores. Both very original soundtracks.
  • On the soundtrack front I would have to disagree about GE.
    slyfox wrote:
    Re-watched GE again yesterday. Really enjoyed it. If PB had only done GE, I think the abuse he gets on forums would be almost non-existant. For me, it's his best. They pulled out all the stops to try and create a classic Bond feel to it, and I think they suceeded. Unlike LALD, GE makes it into my top 10 and gets my vote here.

I'd also say both these films have the best non-Barry scores. Both very original soundtracks.

GoldenEye
  • Where are all the LALD fans?.....
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 940
    On the soundtrack front I would have to disagree about GE.
    slyfox wrote:

It's easily dismissed by many, but GE has a very underated score. It's harsh, dark and moody sounds compliment the vibe of the film perfectly. Whilst I dislike the car chase track, and wouldn't have wanted Serra to return for another Bond film, as a stand-alone soundtrack its distinct and very original.
    Live and Let Die
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 299
    It's a bit close for me cause I've never been much of a fan of the Brosnans, and LALD is my third favorite Moore, but I'd have to pick GoldenEye. Though I do hate the score.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    GE

LALD is a good, fun film, Moore is great as usual, the girl is hotter in this one and it has some of the best henchmen in the series, but it has flaws, like the boring PTS.

But GE is a great Bond film, in my top 5, with a better main villian than LALD, and I prefer Brosnan to Moore. There's also great action, a nice BMW, and it proved Bond could exist after the cold war.
  • GE

LALD is a good, fun film, Moore is great as usual, the girl is hotter in this one and it has some of the best henchmen in the series, but it has flaws, like the boring PTS.

But GE is a great Bond film, in my top 5, with a better main villian than LALD, and I prefer Brosnan to Moore. There's also great action, a nice BMW, and it proved Bond could exist after the cold war.

that does nothing...that was always one of the things in GE that made no sense. They have Q explain to Bond all the added extras and then we don't see it. They don't use the car for anything...apart from driving down a dirt road..Imagine in Goldfinger Q explains to Bond that the DB5 has an ejector seat and then we never see the ejector seat being used. Whats the point?
    GE

that does nothing...that was always one of the things in GE that made no sense. They have Q explain to Bond all the added extras and then we don't see it. They don't use the car for anything...apart from driving down a dirt road..Imagine in Goldfinger Q explains to Bond that the DB5 has an ejector seat and then we never see the ejector seat being used. Whats the point?

I think that's actually a good thing about some of the films. That Bond has gadgets but doesn't use them, let's be honest, it's kind of unrealistic when Bond just happens to need all the gadgets Q has given him.
  • GE

I think that's actually a good thing about some of the films. That Bond has gadgets but doesn't use them, let's be honest, it's kind of unrealistic when Bond just happens to need all the gadgets Q has given him.

But from a story stand point each scene should more or less have a relation to a future scene. This is why we have Q give Bond the gadget. We know that in the progression of the story on screen Bond is going to need to use the gadget to get out of a tricky situation. Apart from GE I can't think of a single gadget that Q gives Bond and then he doesn't use it during the film. In LALD for example BOND uses the magnetic watch to help him get out of the tricky situation during the films climax. From a story point it makes no sense in GE that we have this exchange between Q and Bond about the BMW and then we never see any outcome of this. It seems like a waste.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    GE

But from a story stand point each scene should more or less have a relation to a future scene. This is why we have Q give Bond the gadget. We know that in the progression of the story on screen Bond is going to need to use the gadget to get out of a tricky situation. Apart from GE I can't think of a single gadget that Q gives Bond and then he doesn't use it during the film. In LALD for example BOND uses the magnetic watch to help him get out of the tricky situation during the films climax. From a story point it makes no sense in GE that we have this exchange between Q and Bond about the BMW and then we never see any outcome of this. It seems like a waste.

In TWINE the BMW had a heads up display that he didn't use (I think). And the GE BMW looks nice anyway.
    GE

Exactly! Think of the satisfaction one gets from Bond finally using the gadget briefcase at the end of FRWL--gold sovereigns, the smoke screen and the knife all in one sequence! The only time the gadgets shouldn't be used is if they are there for comedic effect. Otherwise, the gadgets should be used in the plot.
    LALD
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    GE 13-5, after starting strong, LALD is now losing to the superior film.
    LALD easily. It's just such a classic.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    GE

Exactly! Think of the satisfaction one gets from Bond finally using the gadget briefcase at the end of FRWL--gold sovereigns, the smoke screen and the knife all in one sequence! The only time the gadgets shouldn't be used is if they are there for comedic effect. Otherwise, the gadgets should be used in the plot.

I do agree here, the only real thing about GoldenEye that isn't superior to all other Bond movies is the car, and strictly because it isn't ever used! The only time it is used is when he and Natalya drive around in the jungles of Cuba. Then Jack Wade takes it away! I neevr did figure out why Q showed him the missiles in the first place if they were never intended to be used. Just scrap that part of the Q Lab scene and everything is all right, but don't unfairly tease us!
    Re-watched LALD recently after GF. Believe me it really isn't THAT great.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Was it the lack of epic action to make you say this? Because if it is, I agree with you. LALD's action isn't terrific by any means. Only parts of the boat chase and the fight with Tee Hee are worth watching really.
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Was it the lack of epic action to make you say this? Because if it is, I agree with you. LALD's action isn't terrific by any means. Only parts of the boat chase and the fight with Tee Hee are worth watching really.

Personally I think that boat chase is pretty extraordinary. If I'm not mistaken, a world record was set in that scene with one of the boat jumps.

Lest we forget the airplane scene with Bond as Flight Instructor?
    JBFan626 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Personally I think that boat chase is pretty extraordinary. If I'm not mistaken, a world record was set in that scene with one of the boat jumps.

Yes, the boat chase is fascinating in many parts, but then some drag and nothing is happening except watching a boat make ripples in the water. As for the airplane chase, that's possibly the worst action piece in the movie. It's just B-L-A-N-D.
    Yeah, you're probably right about that. I guess I always enjoy the humour of that scene.
    LIVE AND LET DIE an awesome titletrack, one of the most beautifull Bondwomen ever, Roger Moore, great soundtrack, great actionscenes, and a smittering of Racism especially by sheriff Pepper. What is not to like.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    JBFan626 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's another thing that bugs me! As I said on another thread how does Mrs Bell end up in Intensive Care? She may have been shocked but she looked fine after Bond's antics. She must have had a heart attack in which case "hilarity" :))

8-|
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes the LALD score is better (100% better) but I enjoy GE more and I feel it is a better film overall. Even though I like LALD and Roger's first showing as Bond.

Goldeneye for me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm not a huge lover of either of these movies. LALD wins, but only just. GE has grown on me over the years, but it still has a certain TV movie feel to it.
    I enjoy both movies but I think GE has more edge to it than LALD. GE has better stunts, plot, pace, iconic moments IMO and is the better movie overall. The points where I think LALD is superior is the score and the women, Jane Seymore is so beautiful!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    GE
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Goldeneye for not having Rosie Carver and for having Desmond.
    Live and Let Die is my favorite Bond release of the series, Goldeneye is not too bad, but simply can't stand up to it's rival here, it was another easy decision

put it this way, there is little to no chance I would watch Goldeneye in successive viewings of itself, I did just that with Moore's debut performance and appearance a week ago or so