Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

TSWLM. This was great, it had jaws (before they ruined the character), a cool car, a decent plot and a great villian.

FYEO gave blofeld a crappy death, so it gets of to a bad start. Some of it is ok I guess, but alot of it bored me. So thats why I chose TSWLM.

Yeah, even though I love FYEO, the pre-title sequence was a real disappointment regarding Blofeld's death. If it had been just a PTS-only villain like Mr. Ramirez in GF or Colonel Toro in OP, then the PTS would have been better. I like the whole helicopter thing, but because Blofeld gets an unworthy, embarrasing death, it comes out as a disappointment.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love both of these films! But I will go with TSWLM.
    Well, we're at a tie now, with both movies at 9 votes. Around 4:00 it'll be the two day mark, and that's win we'll move on to Round 4. Keep voting!
    It's that time again, and both movies have ended up in a tie, 9 to 9! Without any delay, here are the contestants for Round 4:

The Man with the Golden Gun vs. Tomorrow Never Dies

Both are the #2's for Moore and Brosnan, and are set in the South China Sea, so let's see what you think!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    "#2's for Moore and Brosnan". I couldn't have put it better myself.

I don't know, I'll need to rewatch them. Both are very poor but have their bright spots, I just can't decide which has the most.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TMWTGG. Because it's nearer to the classic era and feel of the 1960s. Also, there's sort of a wistful charm to it knowing that it's both Harry Saltzman's and Guy Hamilton's last Bond film. That stated, I think TND is the best of the 1990s Bond films.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    "#2's for Moore and Brosnan". I couldn't have put it better myself.

I don't know, I'll need to rewatch them. Both are very poor but have their bright spots, I just can't decide which has the most.

Hahahahahahaha! I knew someone would say that!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'll have to say TMWTGG. The plot interested me more, and the battle with Bond and Scaramanga is entertaining. But that darn Nic Nac..ughhh... TND had the remote control car, the stereotypical Russian, but lost points for a dull villain and Paris was a letdown. And don't get me started on that Sheryl Crowe theme. [-(
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 12,837
    TMWTGG. Both these films have great moments. But although TND was good, and brosnan was great as always, in the end it comes down to crappy villian vs great villian. Lee was awesome, pryce was pretty crap.
    TMWTGG hands down.

Both feature Halong Bay (although Golden Gun is set in Thailand it does seem that Scaramanga got prime real estate before the tourists arrived in Vietnam)

In TND we get a junk and a few scenic karsts. In Golden Gun we get a full John Barry score and sweeping views as the seaplane soars over the islands.

TND was the first time the cracks in the Brosnan era started to appear.
    Tommorow Never Dies- a great underrated story- great music, Johanthan Pryce (who played The Master in Doctor Who) was a crack up and quite meancing, Brosnan was always great (the scene where he kills Kuffman was terrific you could feel the rage of Paris Death- plus he actually showed emotion so Craig isnt the only bond to feel emotions). i loved the whole setting, especially Wai-Lin who is probarly one of the most underrated bond girls and also one of the best.

TMWTGG is just easily a cheesy 70s martial arts film- the only good things were Roger Moore, Christopher Lee, Scaramangas Funhouse and the car flip...its okay but not regard well in my list
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TND It takes itself more seriously, and there's no midget. However, TMWTGG has the better Bond girl and the better actor for a villain.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    TMWTGG but only just. Both exploit the traits of the period quite heavily
    (TMWTGG = Bruce Lee Kung Fu, TND = cheesey action and Jackie Chan Kung-fu)

Gun wins for Christopher Lee, one of the best baddies in the series.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,778
    I had a thread similar to this as it had each actor's second Bond movie against one another. Both are very weak entries but I pick TMWTGG for Christopher Lee's performance alone. Sheer class.

Since we're on the subject, @DarthDimi for my 400th post could you please add a poll to my thread?http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1612/the-man-with-the-golden-gun-vs.-licence-to-kill-vs.-tomorrow-never-dies-vs.-quantum-of-solace/p2#Item_36
    Tomorrow Never Dies gets my vote hands down. Although both Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore provide great performances, and the villains are pretty equally matched (Scaramanga beats Carver, but Stamper beats Nick Nack), TND has much more action and a greater storyline. TMWTGG is also a lot cheesier, and therefore loses a lot of points with me. Plus, the locations in TND are much better, whereas TMWTGG stays in one place the whole time. I like a Bond movie where we get a variety of locations, and TND does that nicely. Before I forget, I really hate TMWTGG's music. There is only one good track the entire time, and that's the one during the car chase, called Let's Go Get 'Em if I remember correctly.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TND. While I wasn't crazy about Carver, he was very believable as a beyond-insane villain, and had some excellent sidekicks: Stamper, Ricky Jay as Gupta, and Dr. Kaufman.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    TND. While I wasn't crazy about Carver, he was very believable as a beyond-insane villain, and had some excellent sidekicks: Stamper, Ricky Jay as Gupta, and Dr. Kaufman.

Agreed! TMWTGG doesn't have any good villains except for Scaramanga. Nick Nack is an absolute joke, and then there's Kra, who gets knocked into a boiling chemical pit by Mary Goodnight of all people. Pathetic!
    Yeah, I really didn't care for Nick Nack. I know the older Bond films were a lot cheesier than the newer ones, but man, that fight scene on the yacht between Bond and Nick Nack at the end of the film looks like it was pulled straight out of a comedy. Then Goldmember had to recreate the scene and enhance my opinion.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Yeah, I really didn't care for Nick Nack. I know the older Bond films were a lot cheesier than the newer ones, but man, that fight scene on the yacht between Bond and Nick Nack at the end of the film looks like it was pulled straight out of a comedy. Then Goldmember had to recreate the scene and enhance my opinion.

Hahaha! Yeah, Nick Nack chucking bottles of wine at Bond will always stay in my mind when I think of that scene. For the build-up in the funhouse with Scaramanga, and then the destruction of his island, you'd think that TMWTGG would end on a better climax. Then again, the whole movie is a big comedy, so what do I know?
    If Nick Nack was excluded, and the idea of the funhouse, then the premise wouldn't have been as bad: Bond hunts down a top-of-the-notch assassin. Throw both of those in, and I grow iffy on the plot.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    If Nick Nack was excluded, and the idea of the funhouse, then the premise wouldn't have been as bad: Bond hunts down a top-of-the-notch assassin. Throw both of those in, and I grow iffy on the plot.

Exactly! The movie really steered far from the entire point of the movie because they had to make TMWTGG "relevant" to 1974's audience by throwing in the stupid solar energy crisis. For goodness sake, they ruined the entire point of the movie to hunt down a stupid little Solex Agitator.
    Isn't it crazy how the entirety of a film can be affected just by the year or decade it is released in?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Isn't it crazy how the entirety of a film can be affected just by the year or decade it is released in?

Indeed!
    TND By two country miles
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Agreed! TMWTGG doesn't have any good villains except for Scaramanga. Nick Nack is an absolute joke, and then there's Kra, who gets knocked into a boiling chemical pit by Mary Goodnight of all people. Pathetic!

I have to agree with you both. TMWTGG was ruined by the horrible henchman, the silly energy crises subplot. The good premise of Bond squaring off with Scaramanga was good and they should have kept with it instead of going off on some poppycock.
    so I have to say:
    TND but only by a nose.
    Carver was lightweight but Mei Ling was a better sidekick than Goodnight and Carver had some good strong henchmen: Stamper, Dr Kaufman.
    00Beast wrote:
    It's that time again, and both movies have ended up in a tie, 9 to 9! Without any delay, here are the contestants for Round 4:

The Man with the Golden Gun vs. Tomorrow Never Dies

TMWTGG was too slow and lacked big action setpieces, so this is an easy one: TND for having better action, use of locations and a much better soundtrack.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    We've had a film affected by the hair color of the Bond actor(Dan in CR). I don't think it's that crazy.
    ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Consider it done, friend. ;-)

• Many thanks.
    00Beast wrote:
    Plus, the locations in TND are much better, whereas TMWTGG stays in one place the whole time. .

It does?

Beirut, Macao, Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Communist China are all one place are they?