Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    For Your Eyes Only.
    FYEO
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The Spy Who Loved Me

Stronger villain, more chemistry between Bond and the lead girl, more exciting final battle. Plus, I tend to prefer 1970s Sir Rog to 1980s Sir Rog and prefer when he's in the more fantastical outings that play to his strengths.
  • I always viewed these 2 as kinda similar due to the skiing, the underwater settings, and the Cold War theme. My vote goes to For Your Eyes Only.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Spy Who Loved Me

I agree with 100% with PrinceKamalKhan. FYEO was just kind of a bore and is at the bottom of my Bond list.
    love them both...

but it has to be FYEO.

Carole Bouquet at 23. Be still my beating heart...
    It has to be Spy for me. It just has more memorability to it. Jaws, ski jump, Carley Simon, Kurt Jurgens and this randomly appearing:

(0.45)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FYEO
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    FYEO.
    FYEO for having more action setpieces.
    very tricky this one, TSWLM is probably thought of as the quintessential Roger Moore Bond film and I do love it, classic set pieces, Jaws and a good relationship between Bond and XXX, the more I think about it, I should really pick it but for some reason and it may be a passing phase but FYEO is one of my big favrouites at the moment, I think the fact that Moore was getting older actually works for the better in this one and I just love the whole feel of the film so FYEO just clinches it for me!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TSWLM Better plot, better cast.
    TSWLM Better plot.

TSWLM was basically YOLT on the sea. I found the plot in FYEO to be much more orginal.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Zekidk wrote:
    TSWLM Better plot.

TSWLM was basically YOLT on the sea. I found the plot in FYEO to be much more orginal.

The thing with FYEO is that the plot was utterly pointless in the long run. Bond destroys the ATAC - the Maguffin of the story - and no one seemed that bothered by it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    TSWLM Better plot.

The thing with FYEO is that the plot was utterly pointless in the long run. Bond destroys the ATAC - the Maguffin of the story - and no one seemed that bothered by it.

But that was the point of the film. That the entire Cold War was pointless. It was just two egos squaring up to each other over nothing.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    TSWLM Better plot.

But that was the point of the film. That the entire Cold War was pointless. It was just two egos squaring up to each other over nothing.

Yes, the Cold War was pointless, but it's result, should it have gone south, would have been more of a problem than anything before it. Had something happened to anger the superpowers, we wouldn't be here anymore.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    TSWLM Better plot.

At least in the case of FRWL the Lecktor (or Spektor) seemed a bit more valuble to the British.

Don't get me wrong I like FYEO I just think plot-wise Spy had more at stake.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [
    At least in the case of FRWL the Lecktor (or Spektor) seemed a bit more valuble to the British.

Well, the Lektor could decipher Soviet cyphers - the ATAC seemed to control the entire British polaris fleet so draw your own conclusions,

Although why someone designed something so easily accessible and extraordinarily dangerous I dont know.

actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

Well, the Lektor could decipher Soviet cyphers - the ATAC seemed to control the entire British polaris fleet so draw your own conclusions,

Although why someone designed something so easily accessible and extraordinarily dangerous I dont know.

It's called a Mcguffin - a term coined by the great Alfred Hitchcock. It doesn't matter ;)

I suppose Bond cared more about getting it (and the government cared more about receiving it) though in FRWL.
    Tough one. Both films aren't particularly elegant Bond films, i.e. the cinematography lacks the lushness and saturation of Ted Moore, both lack an iconic Barry score (and in place have slightly dated disco scores by Hamlisch and Conti respectively), all around less colorful and memorable characters, slightly underwhelming finales (the hangar scene in Spy is a bit drawn out, while the smashing of the ATAC atop St. Cyrill in FYEO is a bit anticlimactic).

I think Roger Moore is a little more in his element though in Spy. He doesn't crack many jokes in FYEO, which some would say is a good thing. I think his humor is one of his strengths and he should play to it, which he does well in Spy. The humor is left to the auxililary characters in FYEO: hockey goons, parrots, Blofeld, etc., which falls flat. I also like Lewis Gilberts grander production in SPY vs. John Glen's in FYEO, and there are better used and picturesque locations in SPY. This is tough...I used to really dislike FYEO, but I'm warming up to it...but I think Spy is just a grander Bond experience. So SPY it is.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I suppose Bond cared more about getting it (and the government cared more about receiving it) though in FRWL.

I'd say the opposite. Remember Whitehall went into shock when the ATAC went missing.

The Lektor was useful but the defence of the realm didnt rest on it like the ATAC.

actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I'd say the opposite. Remember Whitehall went into shock when the ATAC went missing.

The Lektor was useful but the defence of the realm didnt rest on it like the ATAC.

Fair enough but Bond didn't destroy the Lecktor in FRWL did he.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

He didnt need to - he got it back in a home run (despite Klebb). At the Meteora Gogol flanked by armed guards was walking towards him with his arms outstretched..

actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

He didnt need to - he got it back in a home run (despite Klebb). At the Meteora Gogol flanked by armed guards was walking towards him with his arms outstretched..

True but neither him nor Gogol seemed to care much did they ;) Gogol was happy going back to his mistress and Bond was happy to go back with Melina.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [
    True but neither him nor Gogol seemed to care much did they ;) Gogol was happy going back to his mistress and Bond was happy to go back with Melina.

Of course they cared. Just because they are relaxing at the end doesnt mean they take the job seriously.

What a strange thing to say...

:-O
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

Of course they cared. Just because they are relaxing at the end doesnt mean they take the job seriously.

What a strange thing to say...

:-O

Haha, all I meant is that Gogol didn't seem that bothered about losing a potentially vital piece of hardware. He just laughed it off - randy old bugger.
  • First post, so I'll make it nice and short and to the point.

FYEO
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love both of these films! But I will go with TSWLM.
    Current Score:

TSWLM: 7 votes
    FYEO: 9 votes

The battle continues!
  • TSWLM. This was great, it had jaws (before they ruined the character), a cool car, a decent plot and a great villian.

FYEO gave blofeld a crappy death, so it gets of to a bad start. Some of it is ok I guess, but alot of it bored me. So thats why I chose TSWLM.