Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FRWL is a classic but thunderball is great too

Don't feel bad. One of the hardest Bond match ups to choose from. It's like FRWL v.s. OHMSS or CR with its level of love amongst fans. GF v.s. FRWL would be interesting...wars may start though...
  • FRWL B-)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I'll go for TB as it's more visually spectacular and iconic, but FRWL has equally terrific acting, characterisation, a brilliant plot and some superb gadgets. Oh, and Grant, Kronsteen and Klebb. And Morzeny. Hmm, maybe I didn't think this through...

Sure you did. Remember, TB has Volpe:

fiona_volpe_446815.jpg

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    both are great... but only one of these sits atop my list as my favorite Bond movie.... and that good sirs, is From Russia With Love.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TB

For nostalgia sake.
    As today is the second day, now we can move on to another vs. round, and the winner of this round is From Russia with Love with 14 votes over Thunderball, with 7 votes. All right, here is round #2:

It's Connery vs. Moore showdown, and we'll go with both men's exit as 007.

Diamonds Are Forever vs. A View to a Kill
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Diamonds Are Forever. Connery leaves on a somewhat higher note than Moore in my opinion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DAF.
    DAF:

*Sean Connery giving his best "I don't give a damn" performance vs. Roger Moore's good-sport, hanging in there Grandpa charm: DAF ftw
    *Memorable characters: Kidd, Wint, Tree, gangsters, Klaus, Whillard, Charles Gray, Bambi/Thumper, Metz vs. um...Grace Jones, Patrick MacNee and Dolph Lundgren cameo?? DAF
    *Stronger Barry score (though AVTAK is still a pretty good Barry score) DAF
    *2 Vavoom Bond girls vs. Jenny Flex (not bad), Grace Jones (eek), Stacie 'screechety-screetch: DAF
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    DAF

It just was a better Bond experience. Moore shouldn't of been in AVTAK, he was too old.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    DAF is relevant for two reasons: it is Connery's last outing for EON and (2) it paved the way for the light hearted, "lets have fun" era of Roger Moore.

AVTAK is relevant for being Moore's final film. It shows the excesses of the eighties and some of the over the top of the Moore era. It is not Moore's best film but I would never rank it as his worst, not by a long shot.

I actually enjoyed AVTAK and lots of people I talked to back then really liked it. It seems that in hindsight that the film gets all the hate. Maybe 57 year old Moore was pushing it but EON was ready to squeeze one more Bond out of ol' Rog.

By contrast I hated DAF and always will. It will always rank at the bottom (along with DAD, MR)

So my vote is quite obvious:
    AVTAK
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    DAF by far. It's actually my favorite Bond film. Although it isn't the "best" one in terms of overall quality (That honor goes to Thunderball, at least in my opinion), I find it immensely entertaining. Charles Grey as Blofeld is probably my favorite rendition of the character in the series, even if he did dress up in drag. It was also the first EON Bond film I saw; I think I actually saw NSNA before it. Octopussy should have been the last film for Moore, it would have been a nice way for him to end his tenure.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Easily DAF. Better of the 2 Bond actors(even though I'm fond of Sir Rog), wittier and more memorable script courtesy of Tom Mankiewicz, faster pace, less tired and infinitely better leading lady.
    James Bond: I like both performances given, somewhat, but I like Roger's better. We see his grave seriousness at the deaths of his allies, and his anger against Max Zorin rise throughout the film.

Villains: Tough one here, but AVTAK wins. Max Zorin is a far better adversary than Blofeld in DAF. As for henchmen, even though Wint and Kidd are terrific, I like Dr. Mortner and Scarpine, even if they didn't contribute a whole lot. At least they were more serious villains than the ones from DAF.

Action: Probably DAF on this one. The fight with Peter Franks and the Las Vegas car chase are very intense when compared to Moore's lackluster fighting and that cringe-worthy fire truck chase. Climax-wise, AVTAK wins, but that's the only A+ action in the whole movie.

Music: AVTAK on this one. Snow Job/He's Dangerous is an awesome track!

Locations: DAF wins here. Amsterdam and Las Vegas trump those in AVTAK

Girls: AVTAK

A View to a Kill wins for me.

I will go for AVTAK, don't know why but DAF has never really done it for me, despite the hate and the flaws, i think AVTAK is pretty good!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DAF

* better score
    * better Bond
    * better locations
    * better production design
    * somewhat less silly plot

AVTAK

* hotter girl

So, my choice is DAF.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,690
    'I've got a brudder'
    'Small world'

'Who is your floor ?'

'Tell him HE'S FIRED !!'

'Baja !? I haven't got anything in Baja !!'

'You've just killed James Bond !!'
    'Is that who it was? Well just goes to show, no one's indestructible!'

'Making mud pies 007 ?'

'Named after your father perhaps?'

'Exceptionally fine shot.
    'I didn't know there was a pool down there. '

'Good morning, gentlemen. ACME pollution inspection. We're cleaning up the world, we thought this was a suitable starting point.'

'Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way...'

'Weren't you a blonde when I came in?'
    'Could be.'
    'I tend to notice little things like that - whether a girl is a blonde or a brunette.'
    'Which do you prefer?'
    'Well, as long as the collar and cuffs match...'

'Well, one of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.I'm afraid it's me. Sorry, old boy.'

'Pity about your liver, sir. Unusually fine Solera. '51, I believe.'
    'There is no year for sherry, 007.'
    'I was referring to the original vintage on which the sherry is based, sir. 1851, unmistakable.'
    'Precisely.'

'Bitch. Your problems are all behind you now.'

'The wine is quite excellent. Although for such a grand meal I would have expected a claret.'
    'But of course. Unfortunately our cellar is poorly stocked with clarets.'
    'Mouton Rothschild IS a claret. And, I've smelled that aftershave before, and both times - I've smelled a rat.'

'Right idea, Mr. Bond...'
    '... But wrong pussy.'

And there are countless other classic lines in DAF.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    AVTAK. It's not as campy as DAF (although saying DAF as a word is funnier).
    AVTAK....

DAF is a totally missed opportunity to follow on from OHMSS or at least the Fleming novel with the Spang's etc...
  • DAF has no redeeming qualities and at least AVTAK has some witty dialogue. So definitely AVTAK gets my vote.
  • DAF has some great lines (right idea mr bond, but wrong pussy), but AVTAK is really enjoyable, even though moore was too old by now. DAF has blofeld, who is the greatest villian of all time, but zorin in AVTAK was a great villian too. AVTAK also had great stunts like the final bridge fight and the eifel tower BASE jump. I'm gonna go with AVTAK but its a tough one.
  • AVTAK. As alhas been stated before they missed a trick with DAF. Could and should have been a great follow up to the happenings of OHMSS.
    DAF
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 3,168
    Although DAF has a better score, better oneliners, better cross-editing and better henchmen, I have to go with AVTAK, which has no fake explosions and a more coherent script!
    Diamonds Are Forever: 8
    A View to a Kill: 8

Keep voting!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DAF.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Both are utterly tragic...but DAF has Sean. So, by default and my very extreme Connery bias:

DAF
    All righty, it's the second day, and it's time to announce the winner:

Diamonds Are Forever, with 10 votes over A View to a Kill, which had 8 votes.

On to Round 3!

It'll be a Roger Moore show-down between his 3rd and 5th movies:

The Spy Who Loved Me vs. For Your Eyes Only
    TSWLM
    FYEO