Your Bond Collection

Comments

• edited June 2018 Posts: 17,281
    I only have a Norwegian hardback edition of LALD. It's not a first printing or anything, but part of a early 70's (I think) hardback series where all the covers (except from the title on the spine) look the same.
    Gullbok.jpg
    (Image found online)

My FRWL copy is from that series of prints.

Interesting! Do you know if any of those books came with a dust jacket?

I am pretty sure none of them did.

Thanks, was wondering about that. My book has a few signs of wear, so for all I know it could have been a dust jacket there at some point.

By the way, was this series of golden coloured books only for Bond novels, or were other books published with a similar design/colour, you think? Like the 'CAP-serien' paperbacks, for example.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Never saw anything other than Bond with that design.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,281

Bond series only then, it looks like. Do you know what year they were published? Don't think there's a publication year written in my book.

Bond series only then, it looks like. Do you know what year they were published? Don't think there's a publication year written in my book.

Thanks! Think I'm going to try find some of the other books in this series eventually. Saw one online once.

Thanks! Think I'm going to try find some of the other books in this series eventually. Saw one online once.

You will often find them in second-hand stores, as they were printed in quite a large number.

You will often find them in second-hand stores, as they were printed in quite a large number.

Thanks, I'll remember that the next time I'm at a second-hand store!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thought I'd share some pics of my Bond pen collection. I started acquiring these in 2008.

American Character 'Action Pen' (1965)
    43014423542_e60e62119b_b.jpg
    ^Probably the oldest piece of Bond merch I have, this pen has a little bolt action lever on the side which you push forward and lock. The idea is that it shoots out a pellet of rolled-up paper with a secret message on it. It also has an 'alert whistle'- you can just make out the whistle hole and bolt in that pic. Mine came with the instruction booklet, but no other accessories.

NSNA rocket pen
    42345748964_342928ef82_b.jpg
    ^I need to eventually hunt down the correct size pen, but it'll do for the time being.

Little Lead Soldiers 'hi-tech plastic nib pen' (1987)
    42345751394_56868bbc36_b.jpg

unidentified pen (production date unknown)
    43063903751_18eede741a_b.jpg
    ^I received this pen with a 007 business card holder. I have no idea what brand it is, or when it was released. Anyone have any info on it? It has 007 logos cut into the barrel.

GE Parker Jotter
    42345752134_c98f9a4d77_b.jpg

TND Ericsson digital recording pen
    42345747844_b65bd55236_b.jpg
    ^This is part of a set with a pop-up alarm clock & promo CD. I was searching for it on and off for years. Finally scored one with the box & instructions.

Eversharp compact pen (1997)
    43063907091_30b715fd27_o.jpg

TWINE Eversharp pen
    42160952585_9696703693_b.jpg
    ^I've never seen one of these anywhere else. It has the film title laser-etched on the side.

DAD Philishave digital recording pen
    42345832434_bbf9933a1d_b.jpg
    ^This came with a generic box & instructions.

DAD promo pen
    42345833164_ed14aa044d_b.jpg
    ^This one is from a set- it came with a clock and a couple of other gizmos.

Spy Files digital recording pen (2002)
    41253267380_b123f32c01_b.jpg
    ^Missed my chance at owning this pen back in the day. It was an Australian subscribers only offer.

007 Spy Cards UV torch/invisible ink pen (2007)
    42160953605_0862ded62c_b.jpg
    ^This was the first Bond pen I bought, while collecting the trading cards in 2008.

41253270720_535b9d9532_o.jpg
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    That's a great collection, @QBranch - I especially like that subtle 007 cutout in the barrel!

I'm a big fan of any sort of small, cheap ephemera that usually gets lost, broken or thrown away (just bought a couple of Bond beermats on eBay) so I love all the promo pens.
    Ive got a very old hard back edition of DN .

Its got a photo of Honey Ryder on the front.
    I'm trying to find a picture of it but I cant find it on Google,Amazon or Ebay !!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    That's a great collection, @QBranch - I especially like that subtle 007 cutout in the barrel!

I'm a big fan of any sort of small, cheap ephemera that usually gets lost, broken or thrown away (just bought a couple of Bond beermats on eBay) so I love all the promo pens.
    Cheers @Agent_99, much appreciated. The pens and watches are among my favourite things to collect, and I, too, am drawn to the cheaper, more toy-like promo stuff. I find those designs and artwork more imaginative/inspired than the Bond merch that's out nowadays.

Sadly, I don't have any beer mat promos yet, but I made replicas of some seen in the films. You might be able to find vintage Jax/Budweiser beer mats from LALD and LTK.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I love the recording pens! Great collection!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That's an unbelievably superb collection of pens, @QBranch--a golden approach to Bond collecting.

The Parker Jotter is essential, I have it. I must get the Never Say Never Again rocket pen.
    The Parker Jotter is essential, I have it.

I have a red Parker Jotter with 'agent99' engraved on the barrel, because I have very kind friends who know me well :)
    @ggl007 @RichardTheBruce Thanks, guys!
    The Parker Jotter is essential, I have it. I must get the Never Say Never Again rocket pen.
    Yep, the Jotter is a great place to start, availability and price-wise. Good luck with the Montblanc, they are expensive and I did a lot of searching to find a cheap lookalike (eventually settling on the incorrect slim size).

Here's something we discussed before - M's matches:

43210639901_e1229da897_o.jpg
    29338816808_336f4de112_o.jpg
    ^A look at some of the variations, front and back. I swear I did not write 'M' on that last one.

A couple of the boxes still had the original matches inside. I filled another with regular Redheads, which are too long to fit sideways (6mm longer).

28341180007_152c9219b8_b.jpg

29338813478_524367a329_o.jpg
    ^MR variant

28341177167_b438045a26_o.jpg

Moving forward, I'd love to see some subtle fan service like one of these matchboxes on Mallory's desk. We don't even need to see him smoking. Just a little yellow box peeking out from under some paperwork - a nice throwback to the days of Lee and Brown's M.
    A couple of eBay purchases. Bond beermats! The LTK one is promoting Ballantine's; the Dutch TND one is for Heineken.

248354_1000.jpg

I also bought this flyer advertising TLD tie-in clothing. I want everything here in all its Eighties glory.

248636_1000.jpg
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,281
    Some really nice stuff, @QBranch and @Agent_99! Not much of a collector myself, but beermats and matchboxes seems like small and affordable objects to own!
    I mostly pick up cheap, silly things, @Torgeirtrap - more affordable, but also interesting and fun!
    I mostly pick up cheap, silly things, @Torgeirtrap - more affordable, but also interesting and fun!

I don't doubt it! Should probably take a photo of the stuff I have at some point. It's mostly just comic books, though; film adaptations and a few issues of the Norwegian mid-eighties James Bond comic book magazine.
    I'd love to see those! It's not an area I know much about, and I'm always really interested in Bond stuff from outside the UK, too.
    I'd love to see those! It's not an area I know much about, and I'm always really interested in Bond stuff from outside the UK, too.

I'll se what I can do about pictures! There's also the 2000-2001 James Bond magazine/albums - which you can still get:

alle-album-shop-produkter-nye.jpg
    https://www.007shop.no/produkt/james-bond-album-1-5-samlepakke/

I have the first and the last issue of these myself.

I'll se what I can do about pictures! There's also the 2000-2001 James Bond magazine -which you can still get:
    alle-album-shop-produkter-nye.jpg
    https://www.007shop.no/produkt/james-bond-album-1-5-samlepakke/
    I have the first and last issue of these myself.
    They look so cool. Do the issues themselve feature colourised versions of the McCluskey strips or is that just for the cover art?
    TR007 wrote: »
    They look so cool. Do the issues themselve feature colourised versions of the McCluskey strips or is that just for the cover art?

Just the cover art. The strips (and most of the interior pages) are black and white. Other than the strips there were some pages with articles and Bond related news.

The people behind these comic book albums also run this website (or, I think it's the same people): http://www.jamesbond.no/
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,151
    Picked this Goldeneye #1 comic at the weekend from my local comic book shop back issues section and for the princely sum of £1. Tracking down the other issues is proving more difficult.

AT0rSzU.jpg
    I don't think the other issues were ever published.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK

Really? Well that I didn’t know.
    A couple of eBay purchases. Bond beermats! The LTK one is promoting Ballantine's; the Dutch TND one is for Heineken.

248354_1000.jpg
    Love these- the LTK one espesh. I'm starting a little coaster collection myself- just focusing on what's seen in the films for now, but would love to expand it to include promos like those.
    Some really nice stuff, @QBranch and @Agent_99! Not much of a collector myself, but beermats and matchboxes seems like small and affordable objects to own!
    Cheers, buddy. Much more to come!
    QBranch wrote: »
    Cheers, buddy. Much more to come!

Nice! Looking forward to seeing more of the collection!

Really? Well that I didn’t know.

I searched for YEARS only to find they never published them.

youngbonddossier.com/Young_Bond/comichistory.html