Quentin Tarantino: A Reflection On His Movies and His Opinions

24

Comments

  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 5,972
    Tarantino has an interesting point about going back and adapting the Fleming novels more closely. I don't think they ever will--BB has said this, I think.

    How would you do better than Gert Frobe as GF? Or Diana Rigg as Tracy? Or even Jill St. John as Tiffany (underrated a bit, she is)? It's a better idea to do something else entirely.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Posts: 3,985
    echo wrote: »
    Tarantino has an interesting point about going back and adapting the Fleming novels more closely. I don't think they ever will--BB has said this, I think.

    How would you do better than Gert Frobe as GF? Or Diana Rigg as Tracy? Or even Jill St. John as Tiffany (underrated a bit, she is)? It's a better idea to do something else entirely.

    The only period adaptations I would like to see would be animated films.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Posts: 8,683
    echo wrote: »
    Tarantino has an interesting point about going back and adapting the Fleming novels more closely. I don't think they ever will--BB has said this, I think.

    How would you do better than Gert Frobe as GF? Or Diana Rigg as Tracy? Or even Jill St. John as Tiffany (underrated a bit, she is)? It's a better idea to do something else entirely.

    The only period adaptations I would like to see would be animated films.

    I definitely do not want animated Bond films. Period pieces with real actors and a decent production design sounds good enough for me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Posts: 3,985
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Tarantino has an interesting point about going back and adapting the Fleming novels more closely. I don't think they ever will--BB has said this, I think.

    How would you do better than Gert Frobe as GF? Or Diana Rigg as Tracy? Or even Jill St. John as Tiffany (underrated a bit, she is)? It's a better idea to do something else entirely.

    The only period adaptations I would like to see would be animated films.

    I definitely do not want animated Bond films. Period pieces with real actors and a decent production design sounds good enough for me.

    I'd love to see Bond as a period piece with real actors, but it ain't gonna happen unfortunately.
    A really well made animated series would be the next best thing IMO.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,023
    If the books were to be adapted as period pieces, I would prefer they discard anything Eon associated. Pretend those films never existed, and you're just adapting spy thriller novels into spy thriller films. They don't have to compete with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE or any other hundred million dollar production, so don't worry about trying to make the "big stunt", because that's not what the Fleming books were about.
  • Posts: 7,500
    echo wrote: »
    Tarantino has an interesting point about going back and adapting the Fleming novels more closely. I don't think they ever will--BB has said this, I think.

    How would you do better than Gert Frobe as GF? Or Diana Rigg as Tracy? Or even Jill St. John as Tiffany (underrated a bit, she is)? It's a better idea to do something else entirely.

    The only period adaptations I would like to see would be animated films.

    Oh no! That would be cringe :-SS
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Posts: 3,985
    jobo wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Tarantino has an interesting point about going back and adapting the Fleming novels more closely. I don't think they ever will--BB has said this, I think.

    How would you do better than Gert Frobe as GF? Or Diana Rigg as Tracy? Or even Jill St. John as Tiffany (underrated a bit, she is)? It's a better idea to do something else entirely.

    The only period adaptations I would like to see would be animated films.

    Oh no! That would be cringe :-SS

    Not much different to a graphic novel I would have thought. I quite like the thought of an animated Horak strip myself...
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited September 2023 Posts: 4,105
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Quentin Tarantino's final film, The Movie Critic, has snagged over $20 million in tax incentives to shoot his latest in Los Angeles:

    https://deadline.com/2023/09/tarantino-final-movie-california-tax-credits-1235540632/

    From what I've read, he's eyeing Paul Walter Hauser for a lead, it's rumored that Samuel L. Jackson is guaranteed a role, and Tarantino is really eager, if he and his family are up for it, to have Bruce Willis in a small appearance.

    As @Creasy47 said before, it should be interesting. I hope certain actors get cast. Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, hopefully Christoph Waltz will be back. Although, I heard a rumor that CW and QT weren't getting along for one reason or another. That's why CW wasn't in TH8 or OUATIH. It's a bit of a shame. I wonder if the writers and actors strikes will affect his movie.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Posts: 4,392
    peter wrote: »
    I think the opening of INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (sp. inc) was the best thing put to film in the last fifty years… (dating back to GF I&II). I can watch this little “short film” over and over. Suspense in action, it’s like an elastic band being pulled from either end…. Just ready to snap, until—

    Scene over.

    A masterpiece!

    IB is my favourite movie EVER and the first scene is my favourite scene. Pure perfection.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2023 Posts: 23,534
    peter wrote: »
    I think the opening of INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (sp. inc) was the best thing put to film in the last fifty years… (dating back to GF I&II). I can watch this little “short film” over and over. Suspense in action, it’s like an elastic band being pulled from either end…. Just ready to snap, until—

    Scene over.

    A masterpiece!

    IB is my favourite movie EVER and the first scene is my favourite scene. Pure perfection.

    @goldenswissroyale and @peter
    That first scene is outstanding in every . possible . regard! Acting, directing, editing, writing, ... I can play it over and over again and never be bored. I recall thinking when I first saw the movie, almost instantly, that this scene drew a line between 'young' QT and mature QT. I recall thinking that master-photographer Stanley Kubrick would have admired this scene (and probably the full film too.)

    Another part of IB that I find outstanding is the tavern scene. This was the first time that I took notice of one Michael Fassbender, who would soon impress me as Magneto in First Class. Like Waltz in the opening scene of the film, August Diehl plays such a charming yet threatening presence that I'm never sure whether I should like or hate the man. QT is definitely in control of his words, his pacing, and his every impulse as a filmmaker.

    Despite all the above, I still think that PF is my favorite QT film. Call it a generational thing. That film left such an impression on my teenage self when it was released that I'll probably forever worship it as a cult experience.

    But the best QT film, IMO, is JB. It didn't start out that way; I was 16 when it came out and at 16, one doesn't contemplate life the way JB does. But with the passing of time, I must admit, I find myself much more emotionally involved in the characters of Pam Grier and Robert Forster. Every time I revisit JB, I am more invested in the film than the time before. I admire the choice of music, the acting, the celebration of the "forgotten" blaxploitation genre, ...

    TH8 is another favorite of mine. I simply love the mystery and how it plays out as one big theatre play. I'm also very fond of Django Unchained. All in all, I have a great fondness for everything QT has done so far as a director. I guess my least favorite film of his -- though I still wouldn't call the film "bad" -- is DP, simply because it has so little going on.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Posts: 4,392
    @DarthDimi
    I was also around 16 when I watched JB for the first time. I liked it but wasn't a fan. I rewatched it a few years back and I was also more interested in the characters then. It is still not a favourite but another (mostly) very good Tarantino movie.

    And yes, I also like the mistery/crime aspect of TH8.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited September 2023 Posts: 4,105


    I wonder if Travolta is a Vega relative. I’d take all 3 of them. For returning QT names I'd like: Christopher Walken, Michael Keaton, Kurt Russell, Christoph Waltz, Steve Buscemi, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Leonardo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, and hopefully Bruce Willis. Newcomers I’d want are Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Robert Downey Jr, Michael Shannon, Hayley Atwell, Paul Dano and Melissa Benoist.

    @DarthDimi
    I was also around 16 when I watched JB for the first time. I liked it but wasn't a fan. I rewatched it a few years back and I was also more interested in the characters then. It is still not a favourite but another (mostly) very good Tarantino movie.

    And yes, I also like the mistery/crime aspect of TH8.

    I do see JB and TH8 as the 2 most underrated QT movies. They have a different look and feel than QT's other films. Meanwhile I see IB as his most overrated movie. It's like another 2009 movie in one way: Avatar. Both movies have the director getting lost in their ego, by extending things too much. At least QT wrote an original story.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,461
    And the film's apparently been fully cast but can't be announced due to the strikes. That's exciting. I do hope he has a mini Pulp Fiction reunion in some respects, and I hope Samuel L. Jackson gets a proper role for Tarantino's final film.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 4,105
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    And the film's apparently been fully cast but can't be announced due to the strikes. That's exciting. I do hope he has a mini Pulp Fiction reunion in some respects, and I hope Samuel L. Jackson gets a proper role for Tarantino's final film.

    I could see SLJ getting a big role in the movie. Apparently, he gets referenced as a young actor that Rick Dalton worked with in his upcoming book: The Films of Rick Dalton.

    https://theplaylist.net/quentin-tarantino-once-upon-a-time-rick-dalton-spinoff-book-true-romance-20220104/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,461
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    And the film's apparently been fully cast but can't be announced due to the strikes. That's exciting. I do hope he has a mini Pulp Fiction reunion in some respects, and I hope Samuel L. Jackson gets a proper role for Tarantino's final film.

    I could see SLJ getting a big role in the movie. Apparently, he gets referenced as a young actor that Rick Dalton worked with in his upcoming book: The Films of Rick Dalton.

    https://theplaylist.net/quentin-tarantino-once-upon-a-time-rick-dalton-spinoff-book-true-romance-20220104/

    I almost forgot about that book. Can't wait to check it out. Finally read OUATIH and Tarantino's Cinema Speculation recently and loved them both.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 4,105
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    And the film's apparently been fully cast but can't be announced due to the strikes. That's exciting. I do hope he has a mini Pulp Fiction reunion in some respects, and I hope Samuel L. Jackson gets a proper role for Tarantino's final film.

    I could see SLJ getting a big role in the movie. Apparently, he gets referenced as a young actor that Rick Dalton worked with in his upcoming book: The Films of Rick Dalton.

    https://theplaylist.net/quentin-tarantino-once-upon-a-time-rick-dalton-spinoff-book-true-romance-20220104/

    I almost forgot about that book. Can't wait to check it out. Finally read OUATIH and Tarantino's Cinema Speculation recently and loved them both.

    I can't wait either. I'm a bit surprised that we haven't heard more about it. In the meantime, we have this to look forward to next year.

    https://www.amazon.com/Quentin-Tarantino-Amazing-Améziane/dp/1787740641/ref=sr_1_4?crid=349Q8S7EUM3AT&keywords=quentin+tarantino&qid=1696130199&s=books&sprefix=quentin+t,stripbooks,3087&sr=1-4

    At the risk of sounding controversial, if QT wanted to call OUATIH as his last movie, I'd be OK with it. He goes out on a high note like he wants, and there are enough movies that are great with his name attached. I'd love to see him keep writing books, as writing is his greatest strength. I'm still hoping for the prequel Double V Vega get adapted into a book or graphic novel. There's already a built in audience. Here's to hoping, as he did a sequel, Django/Zorro. A lot of his characters could have continuation stories.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,461
    I'll be there day one for any more books he decides to do. I do hope we get some more original stories in book format from him after he's done directing too.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 4,105
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be there day one for any more books he decides to do. I do hope we get some more original stories in book format from him after he's done directing too.

    Me too. It would be interesting to have QT to write a short story novel. His other possible projects I'd like to see are him trying a futuristic science fiction story, as it's out of his usual zone. I'd also like to see him write novelizations of Reservoir Dogs and True Romance, as I wish he would go back to crime dramas/dark comedy. Westerns are getting a bit repetitive with him. While QT will retire as a film director, he can have success with stage adaptations of his movies. Having him direct RD, TH8 and OUATIH can make him successful across all forms of media. Other characters (other than the Vega Bros) I would like to see are Kill Bill Volume 3 and Django in White Hell. These would be great graphic novels, considering QT's love of comics. On a sad note, we have to remember that QT loves to talk A LOT about possible projects.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino's_unrealized_projects
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,461
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be there day one for any more books he decides to do. I do hope we get some more original stories in book format from him after he's done directing too.

    Me too. It would be interesting to have QT to write a short story novel. His other possible projects I'd like to see are him trying a futuristic science fiction story, as it's out of his usual zone. I'd also like to see him write novelizations of Reservoir Dogs and True Romance, as I wish he would go back to crime dramas/dark comedy. Westerns are getting a bit repetitive with him. While QT will retire as a film director, he can have success with stage adaptations of his movies. Having him direct RD, TH8 and OUATIH can make him successful across all forms of media. Other characters (other than the Vega Bros) I would like to see are Kill Bill Volume 3 and Django in White Hell. These would be great graphic novels, considering QT's love of comics. On a sad note, we have to remember that QT loves to talk A LOT about possible projects.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino's_unrealized_projects

    Give me all of these and I'd be a very happy fan.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 4,105
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be there day one for any more books he decides to do. I do hope we get some more original stories in book format from him after he's done directing too.

    Me too. It would be interesting to have QT to write a short story novel. His other possible projects I'd like to see are him trying a futuristic science fiction story, as it's out of his usual zone. I'd also like to see him write novelizations of Reservoir Dogs and True Romance, as I wish he would go back to crime dramas/dark comedy. Westerns are getting a bit repetitive with him. While QT will retire as a film director, he can have success with stage adaptations of his movies. Having him direct RD, TH8 and OUATIH can make him successful across all forms of media. Other characters (other than the Vega Bros) I would like to see are Kill Bill Volume 3 and Django in White Hell. These would be great graphic novels, considering QT's love of comics. On a sad note, we have to remember that QT loves to talk A LOT about possible projects.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino's_unrealized_projects

    Give me all of these and I'd be a very happy fan.

    I’d say most.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,461
    Give me even one and I'd have no complaints. I know he's mentioned in the past he wanted to do a Django miniseries that ran 6-10 hours. If I could get that in even book format, I'd have no complaints.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 4,105
    I am getting tired of QT's western approach, though. It's starting to become as tiresome as Bond leaving MI6. We get it, he wants to bring it back.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,023
    He’s only done it twice, and is unlikely to do another.
  • Posts: 614
    The only western that I'd like to see from Tarantino is his long-promised adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Forty Lashes Less One, an ingenious (and offbeat)) combination of western and prison story full of Leonard's clever dialogue and engaging characters. (It would've been perfect 20 years ago with Samuel L. Jackson and Antonio Banderas in the lead roles.) Tarantino has talked about doing something with this novel as recently as 2015, when he told reporters that he was thinking of making it into a limited series for television.

    Unfortunately, in the years since he's become negative about adapting other people's material since he's not creating the story from scratch: https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/quentin-tarantino-shared-jackie-brown-put-off-adapting-novels-into-films.html/

    I'm not understanding why he can't just put his ego aside and do this project (or adaptations of other novels, like any of the Modesty Blaise books), but I've gotten the impression from interviews that it's because he gets annoyed when people tell him that Jackie Brown is his best movie (it is).
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 4,105
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    The only western that I'd like to see from Tarantino is his long-promised adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Forty Lashes Less One, an ingenious (and offbeat)) combination of western and prison story full of Leonard's clever dialogue and engaging characters. (It would've been perfect 20 years ago with Samuel L. Jackson and Antonio Banderas in the lead roles.) Tarantino has talked about doing something with this novel as recently as 2015, when he told reporters that he was thinking of making it into a limited series for television.

    Unfortunately, in the years since he's become negative about adapting other people's material since he's not creating the story from scratch: https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/quentin-tarantino-shared-jackie-brown-put-off-adapting-novels-into-films.html/

    I'm not understanding why he can't just put his ego aside and do this project (or adaptations of other novels, like any of the Modesty Blaise books), but I've gotten the impression from interviews that it's because he gets annoyed when people tell him that Jackie Brown is his best movie (it is).

    OK, that would be the one time I'd like to see QT do another western. Like Bond, (of which he's also a known fan) I still will give anything with his name on it a try. Only Batman and Superman are arguably the few other names that can get me that excited in the media, along with Bond and QT.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 4,105
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/quentin-tarantino-three-favourite-oliver-stone-movies/

    I knew Natural Born Killers won't be on his list.

    https://www.avclub.com/quentin-tarantino-rumored-films-1850907275

    I won't be interested in a QT Star Trek movie.
  • Posts: 7,500
    Do we actually know this will be his last film? I know he's said in the past he will stop at ten films, but has he actually said outright this will be his last?

    People change their minds and when people are passionate about what they do, they are often pulled back. He will likely continue getting new ideas for films in years to come. I predict he is thekind of guy that won't be able to resist making another.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,461
    jobo wrote: »
    Do we actually know this will be his last film? I know he's said in the past he will stop at ten films, but has he actually said outright this will be his last?

    People change their minds and when people are passionate about what they do, they are often pulled back. He will likely continue getting new ideas for films in years to come. I predict he is thekind of guy that won't be able to resist making another.

    In the buildup to this one, he's mentioned a couple of times it'll be his final film. He's seemed pretty strict about that principle for some time now. Who knows though, could always change a few years after this one releases and he's missing the game, though I know he's already got plenty of other books, screenplays, and maybe even a TV series in the works.
  • Posts: 614
    I think it will be his last feature film, although he will continue to direct the occasional episodic television (as he did with ER and CSI) and produce and perhaps write/co-write other projects.

    Right now he seems far more interested in doing his podcast with Roger Avary and writing books. Sadly, I think he's pretty awful in the latter category and desperately needs a good editor.
Sign In or Register to comment.