The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Definitely agree. And thanks. Been reading it for years, and this is the only one I ever even felt like joining.
    Definitely agree. And thanks. Been reading it for years, and this is the only one I ever even felt like joining.

Same here.
    Completely agree with this thesis! Its great to log in and have a healthy debate among fellow fans from all over the world! Without doubt THE best fansite i have ever been a part of! :-bd
    You're going to get me into trouble

CommanderBond and AJB007 are far better places for Bond discussion, and MI6 represents a funeral parlor at the best of times such is the inactivity

well..

Ok, fair enough, I'll be honest, it is the best Bond discussion board for sure and I've experienced some others but they're not as busy or well presented as here, I'm not lying, but - it can just seem a bit dormant here sometimes that's all. That aside, it is the best forum for Bond discussions and all, but too many Administrators for so few people I've always noticed ?!

Thesis is correct, all said
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    But @Baltimore_007, MI6 is comparable to a dormant volcanoe. It has erupted and will again. I find it a very stimulating place, and have only been idled by it a small number of times. And that's not MI6's fault, but my need to do something, anything to escape monotony.
    Easily hands down. It feels like the time to drag the old "where did mi6.uk.co go?" question again...but I know we're not getting an answer on that, nor I'm not sure if we ever will. I think what would bring closure to that, is if we knew for certain, that all the old discussions are gone for good or not...

But we can't live in the past can we? We have to live in the present. Bottom line: Mi6 Community offers the most welcoming, thoughtful, and supportive group of individuals not only in the 007 community, but on the web, from my experience. Great mod staff, great, passionate users, and always up-to-the minute news on all things Bond. There's no other place I'd rather be, and I hope to know all of you for years to come.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 23,544
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 101</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The verbal showdown on the train between Grant and Bond in FRWL is the best Bond vs villain dialogue.</b></font>
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Thesis 101

I much prefer:

Carver- 'When you remove Mr. Bond's heart, there should just be enough time for him to watch it stop beating!'
    Bond- 'I would have thought your TV show was torture enough!'
    Wai-Lin- 'LULZ'

lol jk- as a matter of fact, when I read the thesis I started thinking of a better Bond vs Villain dialogue and couldn't so there ya go.
    Agree
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>The verbal showdown on the train between Grant and Bond in FRWL is the best Bond vs villain dialogue.</b></font>

It is an absolute classic exchange. Certainly cannot think of another right now? So i will agree.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think only Bond and Dr. No's dialogue at the dinner table rivals that found in this scene. The only time Bond is told the plan by the villain where it really works, too in my opinion.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not the best, but some of.
    AJB007

Never heard of that one- I'll check it out! I peek at Commanderbond.net now and then but this place is easily better
    DarthDimi wrote:

Probably so, but there are many great verbal showdowns in the series...it's the most intense scene, so I would have to agree with thesis.

Well, if FRWL was my number 1, then I'd agree with this. It's my #2 right behind GoldenEye, so I prefer the verbal confrontations between James and Alec in the statue graveyard and in the Janus jungle base. Still though, I do agree that Bond and Red Grant's confrontation on the train is one of the best, in fact, second best, just behind what I already mentioned.
    It's good, but I think Bond and Sanchez is the best, Bond and Goldfinger and Bond and Alec are good too.
    It's fantastic, but Bond and GF does have to be considered, if only for its iconic status.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:

It's among the best to be sure. However, I'm also quite fond of Bond's meeting Blofeld in YOLT, Blofeld's spilling the beans about his plans to Bond in OHMSS, and Bond and Prince Kamal Khan's backgammon game in OP.

I think my favorite is probably the laser scene involving Bond and Goldfinger in GF.
    Thesis 101 is so far off the mark it isn't true

I can understand that though, it is a good sequence - but best Bond and Villain dialog ever ?, that covers a lot of ground - and that instance certainly wasn't it

Whenever Moore and Lonsdale meet in Moonraker would probably be my favorite, couldn't pick one example, but you understand

Also, Brosnan and Trevelyan,

Moore and Steven Berkoff in Octopussy

even Moore and Zorin every now and again

Connery and Blofeld in Diamonds (wrong pussy et al)

Connery and Dr No at the dinner table

and so on, the examples are endless, but all said, last thesis is way off the mark, it's one of the best, maybe in the Top 20, but best ever ? - not a chance

Thesis is incorrect again
    edited May 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I still can't rate it as "the best". The dialogue between Bond and Dr. No is brilliant, same with Goldfinger, Largo, and Le Chiffre to just name a few..
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I've always preferred No's, Sanchez's, Orlov's, Le Chiffre's and even Goldfinger's exchange with Bond, but Grant is definitely up there.
    DarthDimi wrote:

I like it in Thunderball.

"The gun looks fit for a woman!"

"You know alot about guns, Mr. Bond?"

"No, I know alot about women."

That is my favorite, but as far as a 'showdown', agree on FRWL.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It's "No, but I know a little about women." Bond's understatement is what sells the joke.
    "Red wine with fish?..well that should have told me something"

"you may know the right wines...but you're the one on your knees"

"tell me...which lunatic asylum did they get you out of?"

"The first one won't kill you...not the second...not even the third...not till you crawl over here and you KISS MY FOOT!!"

There's a lot of good confrontations in the series but for me that one really does stand out. Agree.
    echo wrote:
    It's "No, but I know a little about women." Bond's understatement is what sells the joke.

Sorry, seems like a soft spot. Better just lock me up and throw away the key. Goodbye cruel world, I'm too dumb to quote a film I haven't seen in 6 months. Hur durp gurdbey
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 278
    BAIN123 wrote:

"The first one won't kill you...not the second...not even the third...not till you crawl over here and you KISS MY FOOT!!"

There's a lot of good confrontations in the series but for me that one really does stand out. Agree.

.....And all this wonderful dialogue is delivered immaculately by SC and the very under rated late Robert Shaw!! :-B

...Agreed, one of the best and I watched it on tv only the other day on ITV1 HD uk to which the film looked stunning!!. :-B
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    MrEon wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

.....And all this wonderful dialogue is delivered immaculately by SC and the very under rated late Robert Shaw!! :-B

...Agreed, one of the best and I watched it on tv only the other day on ITV1 HD uk to which the film looked stunning!!. :-B

I've got FRWL on Blu-Ray and have popped the disc in many times just to watch that one scene. Robert Shaw is just amazing...agree.
    Yes i have to agree that it is,although i do like the dialogue between Bond and Scaramanga and Bond and Dr No...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Disagree. I like the scenes but I like others, too, probably better.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 102</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>A serious, hard-edged CR67 might have damaged the EON series more than the spoof.</b></font>
    I agree. It is not the seriousness of the films that has allowed them to reach 23 in the series.