The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

SP (Hinx)?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    The name seems uninspired to me, but if the character is well written and DB portrays him in the right manner, he will be the next iconic henchmen despite his name.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,021
    Hinx. Sounds too much like JINX. So I am not a huge fan of this name. I would have preferred something like Mr TREX. We had JAWS (spielberg) how about TREX ( T-REX from Jurassic Park - Spielberg). Hopefully they will realise its not a very good name and change it! I guess though as long as he is a great henchman his name could be anything.
    Jaws was far from a good name. Oddjob was good, but not sure if so many people would have liked it if had not been an original Fleming name. Hinx is... ok. I could have imagined better, but I like it more than Hans, Stamper, Zao or Kil. And if he is a good physical character, with his own personality, and not a Grant clone, all the better.
  • Hinx is a bit silly, but Mr. Hinx makes it better somehow. Now if Big Dave plays a sweater-wearing henchman...well, that might be the greatest thing ever.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 316</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Calling Bautista's character Hinx will not sit well with some Bond fans.</b></font>

Agree whole heartedly from me. You have this giant of a man! Yet he sounds like some character from a kids TV show! Let's hope he really is a bad ass to make up for such an awful name!
    I think, this is the interesting bit, the giant man with a silly name. I mean, you would expect a name, you all want, fitting the man. Could be boring...
    It is not so much the name that bothers me that the fact that it does not quite fit Bautista's face and body. And it is not quite contrasting enough to be ironic. Cherubin as a first name might have worked, as a supremely ironic name. Then again, Cherubs were originally not chubby babies with wings, but terrifying angelic creatures.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Onatopp was the last time they were creative with this.

Quite frankly, if we're being really honest, Mr. Hinx smacks of a lack of creativity and effort,as does, to some extent, SPECTRE as a title. Both seem lazy and uninspired.

Hopefully these are just exceptions and we get a very creative plot and an inspired henchman.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Really? With all that's going on Bautista's name is the last thing anyone should be worried about.
  • The character/performance will make or break the name. If Boris from GE and Odd job changed character names, Boris would be a iconic character because of Sakata not because of the characters name.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Like I said it is a very minor thing, but it is the debate for now.
    I think it sounds very stupid, even without the obvious rhyming with Jinx.

Let's hope, and I feel not too worried about this, that he is well written and well played so that even if he were named Ronald MacDonald, Bozo, or Mr. Bean it would not take away our pleasure from watching him in the film.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,667
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    SP (Hinx)?

Gutted that I didn't think of that myself. Inspired, sir!

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    First name Tom perhaps? (Thinx about it...)

"Killing is as killing does".
    The character/performance will make or break the name. If Boris from GE and Odd job changed character names, Boris would be a iconic character because of Sakata not because of the characters name.

Oddjob was an iconic character before the movie, he was invented and named by Fleming.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    The character/performance will make or break the name. If Boris from GE and Oddjob changed character names, Boris would be a iconic character because of Sakata not because of the characters name.

Oddjob was an iconic character before the movie, he was invented and named by Fleming.
    I know that, my point was the actors portrayal. Just because Oddjob was iconic previous to the cinematic version, the part could have easily been miscast. Hinx will work depending on what Bautista brings to the part, not the characters name.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The character/performance will make or break the name. If Boris from GE and Oddjob changed character names, Boris would be a iconic character because of Sakata not because of the characters name.

I know that, my point was the actors portrayal. Just because Oddjob was iconic previous to the cinematic version, the part could have easily been miscast. Hinx will work depending on what Bautista brings to the part, not the characters name.

True. And the way he is written.
  • I like Batista and I'm glad he was cast but the name Hinx is awful. So yeah it doesn't sit right.
  • As others have mentioned, there have been plenty of names for henchmen in the past that are equally if not far more "lame" when removed from their iconic characters: Oddjob, Jaws, Tee Hee, Nick Nack. Any one of those names would have created far more furor than "Mr. Hinx." I admit, it's not the greatest name, and it does actually sound kind of lazy, as if someone was trying to find words that rhymed with Jinx and for whatever reason landed on that one. I'm kind of hoping there's some explanation within the film as to why his name is what it is, but honestly I'm not bothered by it one bit because I know that if Bautista delivers the goods next November, the name Mr. Hinx will only stir excitement within the hearts of Bond fans and will sound no lamer to their ears than "Oddjob" or "Jaws."
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 14,844
    I guess many previous henchmen names got a free pass because they were originals from Fleming: Oddjob and Tee Hee at least. But hey, Hinx might not be great, but it sounds slightly better than Hans, Stamper or Elvis.

Okay, correct that, I like Stamper as a name, but he was far from great as a character.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    What about Bambi and Thumper? ;)

I don't know; Hinx is just a lousy, stupid, annoying name. But as I mentioned, let's hope it is well written and well played so that it does not matter, even for a second, what the character's name is.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have to admit, the name Hinx doesn't bother me at all. :)
  • Some people will complain about anything. I like the name just fine.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,586
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 317</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>There's no fun in reading the SPECTRE script before watching the completed film.</b></font>
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Thesis nr. 317 is definitely not true. Believe me, I had a lot of fun reading the script . :bz
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 317</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>There's no fun in reading the SPECTRE script before watching the completed film.</b></font>

I agree for ANY Bond film. I don't want to know what happens before this film especially though. As much as I disagree with them going back to SPECTRE, I'm hugely anticipating it and am excited to see what they do with it.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,312
    I certainly do not want to read the script before having seen the movie. But after, I will be curious to know if and where the final script differed from the leaked version.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,619
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I certainly do not want to read the script before having seen the movie. But after, I will be curious to know if and where the final script differed from the leaked version.

What I would love to read after watching the film, is the screenplay by John Logan, written before the Purvis & Wade rewrites. It's hard to believe that the guy who elevated the script of Skyfall messed up so badly this time. I mean if they had to bring in Purvis & Wade then Logan's version was probably really bad...
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    If it ends up being leaked from the Sony hackers, I still won't read it. I'd rather go in being surprised.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Couldn't agree more. After the film has premiered, then it would be an interesting exercise to see what has changed between the draft, and the final shooting script. But not before.