The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

I agree as well. The scale of their plot was maybe not so, but the way they were portrayed.

I think many people forget that the scale does not matter as much as the involvement. That overgrown baby of a tyran Kim Jong Un may have a finger near the red button, but if I learned that my next door neighbour is a serial killer about to run out of med, I will find him far more threatening.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Before going onto SPECTRE, for those criticizing the Croc Sub, I hope they lend the same criticism to Connery wearing a dirty bird helmet when swimming ashore on Goldfinger :)

For SPECTRE, I find them most menacing in Thunderball. The giant set piece for the SPECTRE meeting room. The shocking chair. No. 1 through the blinds. I think SPECTRE was more cunning in FRWL as the plan was plotted so carefully. But in Thunderball, they are at their most menacing.
  • Yeah, here or Thunderball.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 315</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Spectre comes off as most menacing in FRWL.</b></font>

Agree, they appear to be more ruthless and cold bloodied in this encounter! Love it! This is what i want from Quantum in Bond 24 if they are in it?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    "Ludovico wrote:
    I love TB, I find it underrated here, but the clumsy killer Largo sent to Bond's room already takes a bit away from the threat the whole organization represents.

That's an excellent observation. It reminded me of the PTS. Col. Bouvar faking his own death clearly suggests that he is desperate to get Bond off his trail. Right from the beginning of the film it seems that SPECTRE is on the run from 007. Compare that to the FRWL PTS where Grant brutally murders Bond's lookalike.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    but the clumsy killer Largo sent to Bond's room already takes a bit away from the threat the whole organization represents.

That's true, @Ludovico, however I do feel like SPECTRE restores some of its menace by the way Largo deep-sixes the guy. Has him thrown in a pool of bloodthirsty sharks and while walking away kisses his SPECTRE ring at the sound of a man being devoured. :D

Ludovico wrote: »
    but the clumsy killer Largo sent to Bond's room already takes a bit away from the threat the whole organization represents.

That's true, @Ludovico, however I do feel like SPECTRE restores some of its menace by the way Largo deep-sixes the guy. Has him thrown in a pool of bloodthirsty sharks and while walking away kisses his SPECTRE ring at the sound of a man being devoured. :D

Yes, it does. Don't get me wrong, I love TB. But FRWL shows SPECTRE as its most menacing, no doubt. And I never felt that Bond was so much in danger as in FRWL.
    Certainly the apex of SPECTRE's malice seems to run from FRWL to TB.
    SPECTRE starts off as a shadowry organization spinning this massive spider web. Mi6 knew so little of SPECTRE in FRWL and that made the organizaion so menacing. By the time of YOLT it seemed more outrageous and forces movie goers to suspend so much more belief.

In TB the group is still pretty menacing. There is not much mention of the word SPECTRE in OHMSS which leads me to believe that due to the losses in personnel and near financial ruin as a result of TB (and YOLT), that Ernst just wants to retire to private life and stop dodging the law.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    Thunderball, for me is the most menacing. You finally get to see them as an organization get to their work.
    And they kill at least two of their own in that film.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 14,845
    And they kill at least two of their own in that film.

Oh yes. One because he was not infallible, the other just for sports.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 316</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Calling Bautista's character Hinx will not sit well with some Bond fans.</b></font>
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

<font color=blue size=7><b>Calling Bautista's character Hinx will not sit well with some Bond fans.</b></font>

Agreed. It's a daft name & sounds fart oo much like Jinx. Hope they here is some reasoning to it.
    I hope Hinx is not Jinx' nephew who happens to own a black nuclear sub.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just saw this one and I'll just say, before I crash for the night:
    Indeed agree! It does not sit well with me at all. Stupid, stupid, stupid, lazy, not funny, not menacing, (did I say stupid enough times?), annoying name. Rhymes with Jinx; it stinks. It is truly the only thing that bugs me about this film so far.

If that is all I have to complain about in the end, I will be a very happy Bond fan indeed. I know it is a minor thing, but yeah it is a ridiculous name and I hate it.
    He is MR. HINX for you lot!
    Moonraker Hinx? :-?? I don't get it.

;-)
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I really can't understand the intense dislike for that name. I couldn't care less about the similarity with Jinx (which was a truly silly name).

Hinx is curious and interesting. I suspect if we were told of henchmen named Oddjob or Jaws for the first time now we would be rolling our eyes too.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    I really can't understand the intense dislike for that name. I couldn't care less about the similarity with Jinx (which was a truly silly name).

Hinx is curious and interesting. I suspect if we were told of henchmen named Oddjob or Jaws for the first time now we would be rolling our eyes too.

@Tokoloshe, Oddjob was the name of Goldfinger's Korean assistant in the Fleming novel. As for Jaws, you're right.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

@Tokoloshe, Oddjob was the name of Goldfinger's Korean assistant in the Fleming novel. As for Jaws, you're right.

Yes I know that, of course. My point is that if the character was announced for the first time in 2014 and we'd never heard the name "Oddjob" before, the forum would be melting with all the flaming posts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Really it's just a name, but admittedly not a great one or a creative one.

I think we'll all be fuming if Bautista screws up his performance, & that will be more unforgiveable than the choice of name...

Bond villains have a tendency to be iconic (Jaws/Oddjob/Kaufman/Tee Hee) or predictable/forgettable (Stamper from TND/Hans from YOLT/Elvis from QoS).

He's the one up on that stage last week that I have the most concern about, despite some saying he did a great job in GotG (I have not seen that film yet).
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I must admit that I immediately thought of Jinx when i first heard the name. That being said, it doesn't bother me at all. After all of the complaining that we didn't get a good henchman in the Craig era let's not complain about the name now. Says the guy who isn't thrilled with the film title!

There's nothing to debate as we know some Bond fans hate it. I don't, but I know many do hate it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Really it's just a name, but admittedly not a great one or a creative one.

I think we'll all be fuming if Bautista screws up his performance, & that will be more unforgiveable than the choice of name...

Bond villains have a tendency to be iconic (Jaws/Oddjob/Kaufman/Tee Hee) or predictable/forgettable (Stamper from TND/Hans from YOLT/Elvis from QoS).

He's the one up on that stage last week that I have the most concern about, despite some saying he did a great job in GotG (I have not seen that film yet).

What I like about his casting is that he does not look like a Grant clone on steroids.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Agreed, it's one letter removed from Jinx. And H is next to J on the keyboard. Calling him Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker or Luchadore El Pollo Loco would have been less lame.
    Kerim wrote: »
    Agreed, it's one letter removed from Jinx. And H is next to J on the keyboard. Calling him Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker or Luchadore El Pollo Loco would have been less lame.

Indeed. :D

Anything within a 3 mile radius of the name 'Jinx' is caustic. :-)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    First name Tom perhaps? (Thinx about it...)
  • Hinx would have been a boring name. More like a working title name.
    But "Mr. Hinx" sounds great and really fits the face of Bautista. Actually, just calling him Mr. makes him somehow more menacing, like "don't tell me my name will not sit well with some Bond fans or I'll deal with them".
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just realized, of all the 'actors' on stage last week, Bautista actually has the most experience, if you stop to think what WWE really is, and how many live shows he must have done over his career. Insane...