No Time To Die: Why It Should Not Have Been Made (The Way It Was)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,104
    As much as I enjoyed 3 of the DC era films, NTTD has allowed me to right off the DC era in my head canon completely. To me Bond never died or had a kid, the alternate universe Bond did all that which I am fine with, I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

My cinematic Bond will always be DN up until DAD (I could have easily said LTK though that would have been unfair as PB is the same Bond as those that preceded him).

Yeah, he lost me there.

I was just thinking....if NTTD was really as Fleming as you'd like it....Craig would be smoking a cigarette in every scene. Even when the bombs fall.

While I was walking out, I overheard someone say that Bond should have lit up the cigar from Felix at the end.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    DarthDimi wrote: »

The thing that does surprise me a bit, is when you say that the EON Bond is pretty much over for you, or something along that line. I'm sure you'll agree that EON folks have managed to reshape Bond before. Bond is dead, long live Bond. A new 007 will step in, carte blanche. When he does, you'll be just as curious as me, don't you think? ;-)

It won't be any different to those haters on youtube who hate on everything to do with the current Doctor Who but still watch every episode, if only to go on youtube and hate some more.

The past 16 years has been filled with Craig haters....they have their own hate site, they filter in to other forums, they have nothing but scorn and contempt before they see a single frame of the film....I can only say if I don't like the NEW Bond, I'd just make a discrete exit instead of coming here and ruining every one else's appreciation for each film he makes.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

The thing that does surprise me a bit, is when you say that the EON Bond is pretty much over for you, or something along that line. I'm sure you'll agree that EON folks have managed to reshape Bond before. Bond is dead, long live Bond. A new 007 will step in, carte blanche. When he does, you'll be just as curious as me, don't you think? ;-)

It won't be any different to those haters on youtube who hate on everything to do with the current Doctor Who but still watch every episode, if only to go on youtube and hate some more.

The past 16 years has been filled with Craig haters....they have their own hate site, they filter in to other forums, they have nothing but scorn and contempt before they see a single frame of the film....I can only say if I don't like the NEW Bond, I'd just make a discrete exit instead of coming here and ruining every one else's appreciation for each film he makes.

I don't get why someone with a different opinion should ruin things for other people.

Scenario 1
    - I like Craig.
    - So do I.
    - Yeah. He's great.
    - Yeah.

Scenario 2
    - I like Craig.
    - You do? I don't.
    - Hm. Let's talk.

I prefer scenario 2.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't lump @chrisisall with those folks at DCINB. He mentioned liking all of Craig's movies until he saw NTTD. I used to like Craig's Bond as well. I'm not a Craig hater but I'm not a fan of him as Bond anymore and I certainly didn't like No Time To Die either. I'm not going to spoil people's fun for those who enjoyed the movie but this is a thread to vent about disliking the film.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I'm not a Craig hater but I'm not a fan of him as Bond anymore and I certainly didn't like No Time To Die either. I'm not going to spoil people's fun for those who enjoyed the movie but this is a thread to vent about disliking the film.

I was always skeptical about his casting, but he's such a great actor, and the films so much meatier than the Brosnan era, that I was quite happy to go along for the ride. But I wish it would have reached its final destination with Skyfall of SPECTRE.

• slide_99slide_99 USA

I'm not a "Craig hater." When he was announced as Bond I thought he was perfect, even moreso after watching CR twice in theaters. Back around 2010 or so when people were saying that there might not be any more Bond movies (anyone remember that magazine cover, "Goodbye, Mister Bond?") I was hoping he'd come back for more films. I only started to sour on him a little with SF, then it increased with SP, the five year gap after that, and now the decisions that went into NTTD.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow, @chrisisall, this has to be a first for us. We've never been so diametrically opposed in any debate ever before if memory serves. I must say, I have read some remarkably insightful arguments here, but also a lot of anger and hyperbole. The latter are posts I prefer not to comment on. All I can say is, I've seen the film six times now, and it continues to entertain me. But if you don't like the film, then you don't, and that's nobody's business.

Okay, yeah, if they cast him well enough & get someone good to direct (COUGH*martincampbell*COUGH) it it's possible it will rise to greatness for me again... possible...

chrisisall wrote: »
    Wow, @chrisisall, this has to be a first for us. We've never been so diametrically opposed in any debate ever before if memory serves. I must say, I have read some remarkably insightful arguments here, but also a lot of anger and hyperbole. The latter are posts I prefer not to comment on. All I can say is, I've seen the film six times now, and it continues to entertain me. But if you don't like the film, then you don't, and that's nobody's business.

Okay, yeah, if they cast him well enough & get someone good to direct (COUGH*martincampbell*COUGH) it it's possible it will rise to greatness for me again... possible...

You know the feeling... the temptation... the promise. 😉

Honestly though, my favourite Bond movies have already been made. A few Connery, a couple of Dalton & a few Brosnan.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,518

Honestly though, my favourite Bond movies have already been made. A few Connery, a couple of Dalton & a few Brosnan.

Well, of course they are... you haven't seen any of the ones that haven't been made yet.

If they only made two Bond films, you'd have a favourite of the two of them, and you'd be able to say the exact same thing. ;)

Well, of course they are... you haven't seen any of the ones that haven't been made yet.

If they only made two Bond films, you'd have a favourite of the two of them, and you'd be able to say the exact same thing. ;)

Are you a time traveler or a philosopher? ;)
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Of the two, I suppose, a philosopher. ;)

It's just a completely redundant statement to say "My favourite Bond movies have already been made."

Although, I wish I could say I was a time traveler, because then I might be able to tell you your favourite Bond film has yet to be made! :)
    Of the two, I suppose, a philosopher. ;)

It's just a completely redundant statement to say "My favourite Bond movies have already been made."

Although, I wish I could say I was a time traveler, because then I might be able to tell you your favourite Bond film has yet to be made! :)

LOL, yeah, that would be nice, but my favourite movies (Superman 1978, Bond 1987, Batman 1989... etc) are all in the past. I'm a misogynist dinosaur, a relic of the Cold War....
    Batman 89 will never be beat.

"HE STOLE MY BALLOONS!"
  • Batman 89 will never be beat.

***Distant Screams of Thousands of Angry Nolan Fanboys***

But in all seriousness, I much prefer Returns to 89, but that’s probably a discussion for another thread

But in all seriousness, I much prefer Returns to 89, but that’s probably a discussion for another thread

I *love* the Nolan Batman films (all of them), but still, 89 is such a classic.
  • Batman 89 will never be beat.

I love the Nolan films too, just thought of it as a funny joke because he does have lots and lots of vocal fans. And I can’t disagree with you on 89, love that film.

I love the Nolan films too, just thought of it as a funny joke because he does have lots and lots of vocal fans. And I can’t disagree with you on 89, love that film.

lol it's true, I suppose that sort of fan is everywhere, the type that'll get upset if you like/dislike the wrong thing.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm not a Craig hater but I'm not a fan of him as Bond anymore and I certainly didn't like No Time To Die either. I'm not going to spoil people's fun for those who enjoyed the movie but this is a thread to vent about disliking the film.

I was always skeptical about his casting, but he's such a great actor, and the films so much meatier than the Brosnan era, that I was quite happy to go along for the ride. But I wish it would have reached its final destination with Skyfall of SPECTRE.

I'm no Craig hater either. I loved him in CR. I just wished his films had continued in the same direction, instead of taking a very different path.

I'd go one step further: if the only two Bond films made were the two worst of those we have according to @chrisisall there would still be a favourite one, if only by default. Although of course one could then dismiss the whole franchise entirely.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,448
    I operated under a very cynical "they'll never make 'em like they used to" between 1997 and 2005. Then I saw CR, and I felt reborn. My top 5 includes two sixties films, one eighties film, one mid-nineties film and CR. I'd never have thought that possible.

Same with the aforementioned Batman '89. I used to worship at its altar. Then I discovered the animated films. Then I saw the Nolans. It is still a great movie, but it has been surpassed.

We can stick to our darlings with passion, but sometimes another one comes along that really can make absolutes less absolute. It's funny how that goes sometimes.

This discussion makes me think of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. If we could experience time the way we walk back and forth from door to mailbox, we'd already know what the future of Bond brings, and then we'd probably know what our favourite Bond film, ever (yes, more ever than ever so to speak), would be. But, for now, I'm not holding my breath for a film that tops CR or OHMSS for me, though it is possible.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

I thought the same at one point. I hated DAD, I admired but didn’t get that much enjoyment out of CR, and then I hated QoS. Over a decade had passed since I’d really, really enjoyed a Bond film, and I was wondering if the series would ever live up to my childhood memories again.

Then SF came out, and I loved it. Then SP came out, and I liked that one even better (despite its flaws). Then NTTD came out, and once I got over the initial shock of how different it was, I loved that one too, and the way it wrapped everything up boosted my opinion of the whole Craig era. I was wondering if we really needed another film with him, but now I couldn’t be happier that he decided to return.

So, keep the faith mate, things can change ;) And you never know, you might warm to the Craig films more in the future. I can get a lot of enjoyment out of DAD now, in a so bad it’s funny sort of way. And I even found stuff to appreciate in QoS, once I’d seen it enough times to actually understand what was going on.
    For a long time I wasn’t a fan of Craig as Bond. I’d put him 5th or 6th. But I’ve come to appreciate him more recently and he flip flops with Brosnan as my #3 now.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 7,500

I don't get why someone with a different opinion should ruin things for other people.

Scenario 1
    - I like Craig.
    - So do I.
    - Yeah. He's great.
    - Yeah.

Scenario 2
    - I like Craig.
    - You do? I don't.
    - Hm. Let's talk.

I prefer scenario 2.

Well, Scenario 2 is in reality more like this:

- I like Craig
    - You do? I think he is an abomination! The man that ruined Bond forever just to satisfy his ego. The man that hates Bond (*insert quote from a bad interview taken out of context) and from the start wanted to remove all the elements of the character we love, which he could do because the imbecile that doesn't ubderstand Bond, Barbara Broccoli, bowed to him. Thanks to him I can no longer live my outdated, sexist fantasies through Bond, and it infuriates me. In fact he should be burned at the sticks for his sins. I pretend his films don't exist and conclude that the people who like him are not real Bond fans but rather kids with ADD who have been infected by the Marvel virus. This is common consensus. Just look at how the film hasn't earned money yet! It just proves how fans are alienated.
    - I disagree strongly with your opinions and generalizations!
    - Hey! Why do you attack me for my opinions, you bully!

I am not sure I like this scenario, but to each his own...
    jobo wrote: »

Scenario 1
    - I like Craig.
    - So do I.
    - Yeah. He's great.
    - Yeah.

Scenario 2
    - I like Craig.
    - You do? I don't.
    - Hm. Let's talk.

I prefer scenario 2.

Well, Scenario 2 is in reality more like this:

- I like Craig
    - You do? I think he is an abomination! The man that ruined Bond forever just to satisfy his ego. The man that hates Bond (*insert quote from a bad interview taken out of context) and from the start wanted to remove all the elements of the character we love, which he could do because the imbecile that doesn't ubderstand Bond, Barbara Broccoli, bowed to him. Thanks to him I can no longer live my outdated, sexist fantasies through Bond, and it infuriates me. In fact he should be burned at the sticks for his sins. I pretend his films don't exist and conclude that the people who like him are not real Bond fans but rather kids with ADD who have been infected by the Marvel virus. This is common consensus. Just look at how the film hasn't earned money yet! It just proves how fans are alienated.
    - I disagree strongly with your opinions and generalizations!
    - Hey! Why do you attack me for my opinions, you bully!

I am not sure I like this scenario, but to each his own...

Hahaha, yeah, I recognise the frustration. Not what I had in mind, though. Let's call yours "scenario 3". ;-) All I'm saying is that a forum of nothing but identical opinions would be a boring place, frozen in dead consensus. I prefer a good debate, and while you gave an accurate description of some unpleasant encounters I too have had, most discussions happen in a civilized and respectful manner.

Besides, I'm sure "our side" has been just as guilty of attacking people who just don't like Craig.

The problem isn't that some of us love the Craig years and others don't, it's that some people, regardless of where they stand, still think opinions about films can be objectively correct or false. As usual, it's easier for a lover to get away with absolute love, than it is for a hater to get away with absolute hate, at least on a fan forum. But arguments tend to be pretty weak on either side, and you've given excellent examples of arguments that aren't just weak, but downright moronic. In the end, it's just about taste and opinion. How silly it is to quarrel over that. "NTTD should not have been made." Why? "Because I just don't like the film." That's it. Not "because Fleming so-and-so and Barbara is a [insert ugly word] and my theatre was empty and just because." A simple "I don't like the following elements in the film" should do. Same for why others love the film.

People ought to accept and understand that this isn't an exact science. You can make up all the reasons in the world for why (not) liking the film is not your problem but that of the people who made the film; in the end, there's no "proof" that you are right, only that you are wrong as long as at least one person out there disagrees with you.
  • Here we go. The perfect gift for the NTTD haters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9MBQGU?ref=em_1p_7_ti&ref_=pe_22146291_645707901

I'm going to buy it and put it next to my Pierce Brosnan tin box, (did anyone get one of those?).
    "NTTD should not have been made." Why? "Because I just don't like the film." That's it.
    Nooooo..... because we could have had a new film sooner with a new star without the divisive 'kill Bond' imperative. He drove off into the sunset in SP. That could have been the end of it. But I do, however, recognize that to some of you younger folk killing off main characters in long running series is the proper 21st Century way to go out on a 'deep' note. *
    ;)

* I was going for smug, superiour & condescending- did I succeed?
    "NTTD should not have been made." Why? "Because I just don't like the film." That's it.
    Nooooo..... because we could have had a new film sooner with a new star without the divisive 'kill Bond' imperative. He drove off into the sunset in SP. That could have been the end of it. But I do, however, recognize that to some of you younger folk killing off main characters in long running series is the proper 21st Century way to go out on a 'deep' note. *
    ;)

* I was going for smug, superiour & condescending- did I succeed?

Seems like you have a natural talent for it... *

*Going for young, brash, overconfident and provocative. Did I succeed?