Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    That's coming up fast.
    It's probably the most anticipated movie of the year for me. Along with Incredibles 2
    Role on July!
    I wonder what year I will see this one? lol!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,690
    RogueAgent wrote: »

@RogueAgent I have hired someone who will make sure you watch it soon! ;)

liam_neeson_011_3_2.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    "People talk about the action but what they're responding to is they're investment in the characters."

That's it, right there. It's not just the action but the context of the action within the narrative of the plots and the character arc. Cruise is the man.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This might be my first MI trip to the cinema.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

@RogueAgent I have hired someone who will make sure you watch it soon! ;)

liam_neeson_011_3_2.jpg

Lol!!! Duly noted!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Screentime: 147 minutes (2hr, 27m)
    Rogue Nation is 131 minutes (2hr,11m)

Source: Imdb.com
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    That's a long film. But blockbuster films are long these days.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Too long.
    One day a movie's end titles will be longer than the actual movie! :P
    Boycotting a film because it’s too long is such a non issue if I ever saw one! I’m boycotting the latest Mission Impossible because of the real insult to fans: Tom Cruise’s hair isn’t long like in the other 2 even-numbered outings! Continuity ruined!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Running time is irrelevant - pacing is everything. I've seen 90 minute movies that felt akin to sluggish three hour snoozefests, and I've seen three hour epics that fly by because they're engaging and gripping.
    And don't forget Henry Cavill's moustache ruined Justice League. They had to remove it and many DC fans couldn't bear the CGI effect. I think that's reason enough to boycott Mission Impossible: Hair Fallout!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    In terms of the quality of a film, I agree that running time is irrelevant. However, I welcome variety in the running times of films-- longer and shorter films are different "flavors" of movies, if you know what I mean. They feel different.

No boycott here, by the way! Just an observation. And I do wish Cruise had had long hair again.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 1,661
    There's a recent item on Forbes website about the potential box office for Fallout.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/06/29/mission-impossible-fallout-may-propel-tom-cruise-to-new-box-office-heights/

Having said that, many entertainment sites were predicting a 150 million plus opening for Solo and that didn't happen so it's best to take these claims with a pinch of salt. I'm sure it will open reasonably big because it's a well-established franchise and the stunts look dramatic and stuff people might want to see. It's got a bit of an old-school Bond vibe to the stunts.

This is one of two films that are must sees for me (the other being Meg)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    There's a recent item on Forbes website about the potential box office for Fallout.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/06/29/mission-impossible-fallout-may-propel-tom-cruise-to-new-box-office-heights/

Having said that, many entertainment sites were predicting a 150 million plus opening for Solo and that didn't happen so it's best to take these claims with a pinch of salt. I'm sure it will open reasonably big because it's a well-established franchise and the stunts look dramatic and stuff people might want to see. It's got a bit of an old-school Bond vibe to the stunts.

I suppose the big difference would be that Solo was plagued by negativity the whole way through production. I think people were a bit fed up by it before it was even released.

Fallout, by comparison, was already highly anticipated as it was - even before Cruise broke his ankle.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,883
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Decent article. I don't always agree with Mendelson, but I think he's onto something here. The cast is strong and there is built up goodwill (which is quite important) due to the quality of the last two entries in particular, so I wouldn't be surprised if it started off well at the box office on opening weekend just because of that.

If the film is any good, then in addition I think it will deliver a very impressive global gross, particularly in the growing Asian markets (where MI is quite popular) and in North America. As he suggested, this is essentially 'live action' superhero fare.

One must keep in mind that the MI:RN marketing push was pretty lacklustre. I'm not sure if that was on account of them moving the film forward to late summer 2015 (ostensibly to avoid direct competition with SP) or if it was due to budget constraints. This time around they seem to be doing a much better job of it, and that should help as well.

If nothing else, they have at least two enthusiastic theatre viewings from this member, with one probably in IMAX to boot.
    Except for the first two in the series, the MI films have been solid, but not super box office successes. Not sure Fallout should be expected to do more or that it's being that anticipated that way with other than established fans. Hope I'm wrong, but Cruise isn't even the box office force he once was.

As for Solo, I'm guessing Star Wars fatigue with four consecutive movies since December 2015 was largely responsible for it's underwhelming grosses. I don't buy into the claim that it being a troubled production played a lot into it as the general public doesn't normally follow such things nor give a toss about that.

While I have a friend who said it's his favorite Star Wars film, I have no plans to see it on release. Then again, I have yet to watch any of the newer ones and I was raised on the series. Thing is I looked at the trailers for Solo and heard the old lines trotted out and another sassy droid and then car commercials tying into it and it just didn't do it for me.
    Will there be a MI7?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Too early to ask.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Paris and Dana were two of my favourite characters from the TV show, when I watched re runs as a kid I was besotted by Lesley-Anne Warren. Paris well I am a die hard Star Trek fan, if I remember correctly Mission and Trek shot episodes on the same lot when both shows were running. The shows/properties are linked in numerous other ways also.

006-mission-impossible-theredlist.jpg

Nimoy preparing to sing Bilbo Baggins

LOL, yeah, and that happens to be my favourite season of the series also. Have it on DVD.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Will there be a MI7?

Cruise said the other day he has ideas for the next 2-3 installments, so he's not going anywhere.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Will there be a MI7?
    Cruise said the other day he has ideas for the next 2-3 installments, so he's not going anywhere.
    I do hope it doesn't involve Ethan Hunt running from IMF due to mission gone awry, now hunted by the entire US government while trying to fight the obstacles on his way to save the world.
    Will there be a MI7?
    I do hope it doesn't involve Ethan Hunt running from IMF due to mission gone awry, now hunted by the entire US government while trying to fight the obstacles on his way to save the world.

Looks like they're running rogue yet AGAIN in this one, so that makes for six total installments, and only one where it's a straight-forward, non-rogue mission. I agree, they should make it a regular old mission next time around.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,357
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Paris and Dana were two of my favourite characters from the TV show, when I watched re runs as a kid I was besotted by Lesley-Anne Warren. Paris well I am a die hard Star Trek fan, if I remember correctly Mission and Trek shot episodes on the same lot when both shows were running. The shows/properties are linked in numerous other ways also.

006-mission-impossible-theredlist.jpg

Nimoy preparing to sing Bilbo Baggins

LOL, yeah, and that happens to be my favourite season of the series also. Have it on DVD.

I really should buy all the series even the relaunch on DVD, I would guess they are inexpensive, great show.
    Looks like they're running rogue yet AGAIN in this one
    Sounds like the Craig-era.

• Henry Cavill, when he works on a movie, has coins minted and sends a letter to the members of the crew. This tweet has details about the coin he had minted for Mission: Impossible-Fallout and the letter.

It has become the template of the decade.